1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Revis & Jets agree to contract...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Darrelle Revis reaches agreement with New York Jets - ESPN New York

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Do I need to ask why the Jets are able to work these things out so effectively while we can't do squat?

3. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    See my post, below.
    You're late. lol!

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    The Jets are negotiating out of FEAR. Fear of what will happen without these players on the roster.

AJ is negotiating out of a position of power. He knows we don't need VJack and McNeill to reach the playoffs.

The Jets wreckless spending already forced their hand in releasing Alan Faneca, and it will cost them a chance at re-signing Cromartie, Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Kris Jenkins, Calvin Pace, and any chance at building solid depth behind their starters. Its a true "stars and scrubs" situation in NYJ after the 2010 season.

5. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Well, the Jets are indeed desperate.

6. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    No....
    They managed to take care of their best player. :D

7. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Yes, like we did with Rivers, our best player.

8. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +684
    It will be interesting to see what the fluff numbers and the real numbers are.

9. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I'm sure it will be a little much for a CB. But on this note, I'll remind you that we did acquiesce to one Philip Rivers, our best player, for huge money.

10. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    And Antonio Gates, the big man's best weapon.

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    The NFL was getting crazy with big spending on players, now it looks like the floodgates are open. This kind of spending will be the ruination of the league.

12. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Maybe their GM doesn't have as big an ego to stroke?

13. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    This has been the plan all along since they got the Hard Knocks show. BFD.

14. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    As expected, Revis deal was all about guaranteed money
    Posted by Mike Florio on September 6, 2010 6:13 AM ET
    For weeks, we were led to believe that the Jets and cornerback Darrelle Revis were looking at two options -- a 10-year career deal and a short-term bridge until the two sides could sign a 10-year career deal.

In the end, Revis apparently got the kind of truly guaranteed money for which he was looking, and a chance to reload with another big-money deal in four years, if not sooner.

The four-year, $46 million deal represents a $25 million raise over the $21 million Revis was due to earn over the last three of his rookie deal. More importantly, Revis saw his guaranteed money increase from zero dollars and zero cents to, reportedly, $32 million.

Sure, before his holdout Revis had $20 million in guarantees that would have been triggered in 2011, but before Revis could get there he had to get through 2010 with $1 million in pay -- and without a Leon Washington-style injury.

We'll assume that the $32 million in guaranteed money represents truly and fully guaranteed money, either in the form of signing bonus or money guaranteed both for skill and injury. Truly guaranteed money -- not total dollars -- had long been the source of the impasse, with Revis wanting to get the kind of protection that he craved against a catastrophic injury.

The problem was that, on an ultra-long-term deal, the associated guarantees would have likely been $50 million or more, and the Jets have been in the recent habit of giving players guaranteed money that wasn't truly guaranteed. So if the $32 million is truly and fully guaranteed, Revis still gets enough to buy more than enough security for himself and a generation or two (or more), and Revis also will get a second bite at the apple in 2014.

Moving forward, here's hoping that the Jets included enough inducements and/or penalties to ensure that Revis won't stage his third career holdout come 2012 or 2013, after he pockets most of the new money, perhaps wins an AP defensive player of the year award or two, gets his fingerprints on the Lombardi, and then gets in his head the notion that he wants to be not only the highest-paid cornerback in the game, but the highest-paid player at any position.

15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    It appears Revis's value was not affected for ****. Dude scored.

16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Now Revis's agents will have more than enough money to float to VJ in a "loan". The same kind of loan that prompted VJ's agents high powered Hollywood attorneys to ask the San Diego Union to retract that statement (which hit home by the way).

And why ask for a retraction when agents can loan money to their clients ? Must have really hit home.....

17. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    These bitches are trying to make a name for themselves. They think if they can hold these organizations hostage and if the organizations cave then they will get more clients.

18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    And we have fans here that want to let VJ talk to other teams right now.

No freaking clue. None.

Every Jets player from here forward who is talented will just sit out to get a better deal when he is still under contract.

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I would rather cave in and get something for VJ than try to make a ridiculous statement and get squat. Preventing him from talking will prevent us from getting anything from him since he cannot be traded until he signs his tender. I know you can't grasp reality, but that it a fact

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Another thought how this may actually help the Chargers.

Revis was asking for Namdi money.

VJ is asking for whatshisname money.

Revis did not get it and some think the Jets caved (I am in that camp)

In a sense, Revis did not get what he wanted but did get more guaranteed money than he would have.

Did Revis or the Jets cave ?

They both did but I see more damage being done by the Jets in letting players dictate what they think they should get while still under contract. The guy got rewarded for being a dick basically.

21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The one not getting it is you. By letting VJ talk to others to get his best deal NOW - you have no clue how that affects the management of the Chargers and the precedent that is set. None. You let the inmates run the asylum and dictate when they can or can not talk to teams. Letting VJ talk to anyone right now is flat out stupid. That is piss poor management and sets up anarchy. You do not see that and obviously do not give a ****.

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Other posters have attempted to reason with you but dude you are far far far from being in touch on how this **** really works.

Gate's contract was a prime example of not knowing how this **** works or how contract extensions work. Then you jumped to conclusions based on bullshit. It doesn't reflect very well.

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Dude, teams have let players talk to other teams for ever, especially when the player's permission is needed in order for a trade to happen. There is no precedent other than a phoney one that is being made up to justify being a hard ***.

Fact is, the Chargers need VJ's permission to trade him, and he isn't going to grant that permission until he can reach an agreement with another team.

IMO, AJ should come out public and say" We want _______ for VJ, and team willing to give us that has permission to speak to VJ". That allows him to set the ground rules, and put all the blame on VJ if a deal doesn't get done. The one thing AJ and the Chargers are horrible at is PR and ensuring the stance the team takes is clearly understood. This is the reason so many people hate AJ (I am not one of them). Many people misunderstand him, and he does nothing to help remove those misconceptions

24. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Please - again - you do not know what you are talking about.

The Chargers DO NOT NEED VJ'S PERMISSION to talk trade.

Where do you get this **** ?

25. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I have never heard a player say "you need my permission to trade me"

Are you freaking serious ?

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    When the player is a RFA and the team cannot trade them until they sign their tender, they do need the players permission or he will just not sign his tender amd the team cannot trade him. Get it?

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You need to learn to read. I didn;t say they needed his permission to talk trade, I said they needed his permission to actually pull off a trade. As a RFA, he is not technically under contract until he signs his tender and the Chargers cannot trade him until he is under contract. So yes, they do need him to sign his tender before they can trade him, meaning they will need his permission or he just wont sign his tender, and they can't trade him

28. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Yeah I get what you are saying but it does not mean the Chargers need VJ's permission to trade him.

A player needs to be under contract to be traded otherwise; they do not get paid and the team retains his rights.

If VJ signs his tender, he could holdout and then what ? Pup list ? Does that mean the Chargers do not have his permission to trade him ? Can VJ still say "no" to a trade ? VJ and the Chargers needs to agree to terms with whomever comes calling is the bottom line.

The only one who can say "NO" to a trade is the team because they ultimately hold the players rights and not the other way around.

29. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I can read pretty good.

No permission is needed.

Merriman is pissed and wants this team built around him. He has stated that he does not want to be subjected to the constant talk of trade rumors.

Guess what ?

Tough ****.

The end.

30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    If VJ would have signed his tender, yes they could trade him without his permission. But since he hasn't, and won't until he has a new deal in place, they do need his permission to trade him.

So what about this is difficult to understand? VJ isn't in a situation like most players. He can control where he goes and who he plays for, so the Chargers need him to agree to any trade deal they get done.