1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rich Goodman took a hit for the ages...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MadMike, Oct 3, 2011.

1. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    I am looking for the video of it and I will post it here when I find it, but anyone who was at the game saw Rich Goodman receive a kick, take it to the 10, hit a hole going full speed and a dolphin player (Sorry didnt catch the number cause my psyche was blasted by how hard of a hit he took) dove at his legs full speed. Rich Goodman did a high speed full frontal flip and managed to not only hold on to the ball, he was able to get right up (Although after 2 or 3 steps he went much slower and realized the sky had flipped on him). Might be the craziest hit I've ever seen. I've seen people get up-ended and flipped before but the speed of the flip he did was insane.

2. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    I saw that, he really got popped!

Victor Cruz of the Giants had a brainfart similar to Goodman's against the Pats last season (leaving the ball on the ground after a reception) but the refs blew the call on that one, and cost the Cardinals the game.

3. MadMike

Ratings:
    +504
    Yep, they got Hochuli'd!

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    And if anyone saw Peter King's ridiculous comments about the Cruz play, he claimed that because the receiver had "given himself up" and was not trying to advance the ball, the play was definitely over. But Cruz did not take a knee. He thought he had been touched down but was not.

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    That play got a huge reaction from the stadium crowd.

6. Helljumper

Helljumper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +54
    Damn, I really wanna see a video of this now.

7. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings:
    +61
    I disagree after hearing the complete rule. If a player goes to the ground and does not make an attempt to advance the ball, he is considered down. You can clearly see he got up and was heading in the direction back towards where they would huddle. It doesn't matter if thought he may have been touched down, he didn't attempt to advance the ball. But it was close and kind of a strange rule, but the rule looked to have been applied appropriately. However, I do think that type of play should be challengable.

8. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Yea wasnt that into the chargers game and I ended up playing more Open Beta BF 3. Was well worth the trade off with the glances to the game that I got to see, at least we were winning.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MadMike

Ratings:
    +504
    Been playing BF3 Beta since Sept. 27th when the early beta came out. Lovin it. Can't wait until we get the rest of the maps and vehicles. I am a bad *** helicopter pilot.

10. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    only been deep into BF since BF2, but im a badass medic. I will take the death jus to rez the squad leader to keep a assult going. Tho no squadleader spawnin to worry bout now so im jus rez when I can and not a grenade party rez *figured out how to and not to rez in bf2* Had my best round earlier tonight 10/3!!! LOL I suck at not dying in BF so im glad i can at least rez the good player and hope to score some pts also since BC2 not so important your death count to kills. Tho I was alot better overall in the BC2 format vs old BF2. Which remains to be seen on this demo as I havent had to deal with Claymores or Harriers yet in either the Demo or BC2.

Im midmoriders on the BF3 demo if you can get in my squad lol.

11. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Watched the play...it was a good solid flippy... Goodman has NO FEAR.
    As far as the Cruz play goes...to me, it was an obvious fuque up by the refs.
    Goodman did basically the same thing last year, and if my memoria serves me
    right, Vincent Jackson did the same thing a few years ago where he got up and
    flipped the ball forward..and no one had touched him. On both Charger occasions,
    we lost possession of the ball.
    Refs are humans.:(

12. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    Victor Cruz caught that ball, ran forward a little, saw a few defenders and just flopped – if he really wanted to “down the ball” he could’ve just taken a knee.

On ESPN’s “C’mon Man” tonite, they showed the Goodman play from last year, a play when Plaxico Burress did the same thing while playing for Pittsburgh, and some other player who did it as examples because every other team lost possession of the ball when that happened, but NYG inexplicably did not.

13. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61

The point is, he doesn't have to take a knee. He can slide feet first or he can fall down and declare himself down. This is a brand new rule that just started this year so you cannot compare plays from prior years when the rule was different.

14. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61
    This rule (Cruz play) is a brand new rule this year. The new rule states as I stated above, if he goes down untouched, drops the ball and does not attempt to advance the ball, which he doesn't, he is down. It doesn't matter that he didn't take a knee or slide, he went down. The ref's got it right but I'd agree it's a kooky rule.

Actually, when VJ did it a few years ago he threw the ball forward when he got up after not being down. We were penalized a penalty for an illegal forward pass, but we did keep possession.

15. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    So... it's completely a judgement call? What if he felt he didn't get touched and got up and ran? What would happen then?

16. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61
    In that situation, if he got up and ran "with" the ball, he would be "advancing" the ball, therefore he would not be down.

17. MadMike

Ratings:
    +504
    Sent you an invite, name is Chartman.

18. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Wasn't aware that it was a new rule. In the past would it just have been considered a fumble? The rule stinks I guess, since it's the first time we've seen it. In the replays where I saw it, no one ever mentioned that it was a new rule. That statement alone would have been enough for me. It makes sense now..because it's a new rule, not because it's a good rule. This new rule likely was influenced by the Goodman play.

19. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    But that's the thing, Cruz said it himself. He thought he was down by contact so that's why he headed back to the huddle. It wasn't because he gave himself up because he clearly didn't do that.

20. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61
    True, but this new rule doesn't take into account "intent". It doesn't matter whether he thought he was down or not, the new rule, kooky or not, considers him down regardless of intent.

21. chargerfan10

chargerfan10 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    that was crazy!!

22. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    The question that all the TV guys were asking is a good one - how exactly do the defenders know that he is giving himself up? The also stated that having not been touched, he could've simply gotten up and advanced the ball, and that would've been legal and his team would retain all the additional yards he gained.

23. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61
    That question is what makes the new rule a bit screwy, but you always want to atleast "touch" the ball carrier regardless to guarantee he is down. In this case, the defenders didn't get to him until he dropped the ball and got up to walk back to the huddle, and the defenders went for the ball, thinking it was a fumble.

24. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Any links to a video of this de-cleater?

25. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    If the NFL is going to implement & enforce this this rule, they should also implement some signal or movement that the player can perform to indicate that he is giving himself up, much like the signal a player gives to the ref, to indicate their intention to fair catch a punt, but not to advance it.

26. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61
    Perhaps so, or the make the play challengable to see if he did give himself up. Right now, it's not a play that can be challenged, and that seemed to be a problem.

27. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Well dont see the invite, also didnt find Chartman in the search. PM me on this I think.

EDIT NM I found ur invite lol. I see ur online im cant game right now roomie is having comp issues and usin this for inet reverencing. He also went and started playin today wout me and got his hours logged with the group before I even got home ;/ If he gets goin the game is on, if not in a hour or so im be on there for a hour.

28. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    So... if he got up and ran after that then it'd be dead?

29. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61
    No... Because he dropped the ball and started to walk back to the huddle, that made the ball dead. If he didn't drop the ball, and got back up to "advance" the ball, the play is still alive.

30. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    However that is not called consistently. VJ did the same thing his rookie season and it was called correctly. Two other times it was ruled a fumble that I saw.