1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Richard Marshall

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, Aug 22, 2013.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +498
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/22/richard-marshall-visiting-chargers-on-thursday/

Any thoughts?

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Why not move Gilchrist back? I'd put Addae out there until Taylor is ready. We need Gilchrist at nickel

3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    If Marshall can be picked up on the vet minimum then really, why weaken one position to strengthen another. Addae has performed well in the preseason, but how much of that has been against other teams' 1's and even then against rather vanilla offenses. There's a lot to be said for a player that has the benefit of regular season snaps as your injury-fill over an undrafted free agent rookie - especially with some of the TE's we face out the gate. Marshall is exceedingly better as a nickel back than he is as a boundary corner (nickel was where he excelled for the Panthers and Cards).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    I am hugely in favor of signing Marshall IF HEALTHY.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Wish there was a wide receiver visiting as well.. and a defensive linemen.. but can't ask for too much. Richard Marshall healthy can be a steal.

6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,502
    What I've read about Addae is that he's tenacious, but athletically limited. He might stand out against 3's and even some 2's, but his lack of speed will show against the 1's.

7. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Addae will be a run stopper. He's an in box SS. Liability in coverage.

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,502
    But our system required the SS to be a little more versatile.

9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Yeah given the direction offense has taken you just can't have those big slow hitters at SS anymore, they end up getting exposed by the more athletic TE's in the league.

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,502
    You could even say that for ILBs now....... if you can't cover a TE, then you're strictly a 2 down player.

11. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Another position where it'd be nice to get someone who's played some snaps in the NFL...

12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    We can thank our own Antonio Gates for being the necessity that forced that revolution.

13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Ironically, Demorrio Williams is still sitting out there unsigned. I think the issue we're running into there is that we need our ILB backups to also be ST contributors because we're so thin at OLB that we can't afford to base the depth purely off whether they're able to double-up and pull detail on ST's.

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,502
    There are some available still....... but we still seem to be waiting on Te'o. ;)

15. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606

All true, but dang we need an experienced guy in there for at least 2 reasons:
    1. Teo might not make it back as quick as we like
    2. Even if he does, he might not be ready to start, abilitywise.

Takeo Spikes is still out there too.

16. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I thought TKO signed with a team?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

17. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  18. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,703
  19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Still waiting for a slightly more reputable source (because I still don't trust Mike Florio as far as Hodor from GoT could throw him), but good news if true! Marshall's not someone anyone wants playing the boundary corner, but as a nickel/dime or even a FS, in a pinch, he's very capable.

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,502
    Hard to believe he passed on the Jags. ;)

21. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    http://www.chargers.com/news/articl...Marshall/e52f19c7-2e63-4795-930d-c6c485488e32

Chargers Agree to Terms with CB Richard Marshall

Ricky Henne Managing Editor Chargers.com

The San Diego Chargers added experience to their secondary today as the team announced they have agreed to terms with seven-year veteran Richard Marshall.

The 5-11, 198-pound cornerback has posted 451 tackles, 57 passes defensed, 18 interceptions and seven sacks over his career. Originally a second-round draft pick (58th overall) by the Panthers out of Fresno State in 2006, Marshall spent the first five years of his career in Carolina. His final two years there came under the tutelage of Chargers secondary coach Ron Milus, who held the same position with the Panthers. After leaving Carolina, Marshall spent 2011 with the Arizona Cardinals. He signed with the Miami Dolphins in 2012 and appeared in the team’s first four games, recording 17 tackles, one interception and one pass defensed before missing the rest of the season due to a back injury.

Marshall appeared in three games this preseason with the Dolphins, recording five tackles and one pass breakup.

22. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Never hurts to bring in some veteran players like that

23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Although in Carolina it was the exact opposite, Marshall actually struggled in the nickel in AZ, He was much more productive on the outside, I wouldn't be surprised if he played on the outside while Wright covered the slot in nickel packages.

Overall this dude is a great addition, they're saying he's also a great locker room guy.

24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,771
    It would be nice if he becomes part of that magic mix of players that just win games out of nowhere and are good. Marshall has 18 picks in his career, lord knows the Bolts could use a few extra steals here and there.

25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    I think you have that backwards.

• Agree Agree x 1