1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Ricky Manning Jr. vs. Steve Gregory

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sd-local, Aug 26, 2008.

1. sd-local

sd-local BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    is this a difficult question for anyone? He was released by the bears today. He was huge in the Panthers run to the Super Bowl and a role player in the Bears run as well. Gregory works hard but he clearly has nothing on Manning cover ability and with the 4 and 5 receiver sets we face against the Pats, Colts and others why not?

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Manning has a rather bad attitude and will cost a pretty penny i imagine

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    from Wiki

On April 23, 2006 Ricky Manning, Jr. attacked a man, Soroush Sabzi [7], in a Denny's restaurant after teasing him for working on a laptop computer.[8] He was charged with assault with a deadly weapon after allegedly fighting a man and eventually pled no contest to felony assault. Manning faced up to four years in prison because of a previous assault charge in 2002, for which he received probation.

According to the police report, Manning and former UCLA teammates, Tyler Ebell and Maurice Jones-Drew bullied a student sitting at another table. Manning confronted the student with "Are you a ******?", "You f---ing ***," and then called him "an ugly f---ing ***" and a "******." The student asked to be left alone and the football players beat him unconscious. [9]

Two days before the incident the Bears had signed Manning to an offer sheet. In light of the assault charges, the Panthers declined to match Chicago's offer and so Manning signed a $21 million deal with the Bears two days later. In September 2006, Manning pled no contest to felony assault in exchange for another probation deal. Later, Manning proclaimed his innocence. He acknowledged having words with the victim then pushing him in the head—but after that, according to him, his former UCLA teammates did the damage. "Yeah, I did it" explained Manning (AP report). "If I don't plea to this I have to go through trial. We're in season now. Then I'd have to put it in the hands of a jury. There are tons of things that can happen with a jury... I just can't risk that."

Manning's previous 2002 assault charge resulted from a fight between Manning and bodybuilders Brian Herbert and Seth Spiker outside a Westwood bar. Originally charged with two counts of felony assault, Manning pled innocent to one count after the other was dropped.

No thank you

:tdown::tdown::tdown:

and Gregory is a safety

Isn't Manning a cb??

4. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I suspect you already know the answer to "why NOT".... :tdown:

5. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Why not bring him in for a look?

He hasn't beat the living **** out of anyone in almost 2 years.

6. jerry62

jerry62 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +15
    He sounds like a punk! He would probably be in prison if he wasn't a football player.

7. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714
    dudes a POS:no:

8. Yngwie77

Yngwie77 New Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Gregory is from my hometown of Staten Island, NY(AKA Shaolin for all u Wu Tang fans) so lay off him LOL.
    I don't know nhim personally, but lets give him a chance. The little playing time he's had he's done a pretty good job. They must see something good in him for AJ to keep him around.

Go Steve:icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +249
    Probably not....AJ and rap sheets don't mix.

10. mef31

mef31 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Yo man! I don't post here often but I'm from Shaolin too. Actually went to Curtis with Gregory 2 years younger though.

11. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    [​IMG]

12. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    I agree ny in the house gregory has laid some hits on people while on special teams and knows the system

13. megold0715

Ratings:
    +70
    any of you ny'ers go to chargers home games

14. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    why in the **** did we sign Gregory! :no:

15. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +225
    We don't need anyone named "Manning" on our team, no matter what position they play......

Besides, Gregory has been with us for a few seasons and has been in camp the whole time, so he already knows our defense and there is no learning curve with him, nor are there any felonious assaults....:tdown:

16. Yngwie77

Yngwie77 New Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Yes, this year i'm coming for the Dec game against the Raiders. Wife has a conference so i'm gettina free-o at the Hotel Del. Cant wait. LAst year was the first year in while i didnt make it out but normally i go to a game every year, sometimes two. Was trying to make the Jet game Sept 22nd but doesnt look like that will happen, its getting late

17. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21

AJ Smith saw fit to resign Gregory so I will put my faith in him that he knows better than all the "experts" here on the board.

Gregory has been here, knows the system, and has excelled on special teams.

In AJ we trust.

GO CHARGERS!:bolt:

18. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30

Manning's track record says it all. AJ and Norv do not want thugs on the team and neither do I. Wonder how he'd fare in prison?

19. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    At 5'9" 190lbs. Well, I think that you can figure it out.:icon_eek::lol:

20. megold0715

Ratings:
    +70
    ill be there i actually have a flight from jfk to diego on sunday back home tuesday ,with one of my friends who is actualy an intern fr the jets they have the tickets on jet blue like 360 round trip i have a single ticket o te field if you decide you want to go let me know

21. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Steve Gregory and Cletis Gordon are examples of guys who are FOOTBALL PLAYERS, even if they arrived in the pros without a lot of experience at ONE main position.

I firmly believe that if Gordon-- at his present level of development-- had been available in the most recent draft, he'd have been taken in the 3rd round.

I absolutely LOVE A.J. Smith's eye for raw talent. :yes: