1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ridiculously early draft projection

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Jan 29, 2011.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    According to Walter football.

1st round (#18)- Cameron Heyward, DE/DT, Ohio State
    2nd round (#50)- Demarcus Love, OT, Arkansas
    2nd round (#61)- Nate Irving, ILB, N.C. State
    3rd round (#82)- Brooks Reed, DE/OLB, Arizona
    3rd round (#90)- Tandon Doss, WR, Indiana

I have to say that I don't know the players, but I love the positions that are selected.

2. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    i like the first 2 picks

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Walter Chrepinsky doesn't know his *** from upside down.

4. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    I agree with whoever is right in this argument...

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Heyward is not one of my favorite DE prospects, reminds me of Igor Olshanky but more polished.
    Love is more a left tackle then a right tackle and I believe ironically he got abused by Heyward in the Sugar Bowl
    Like Irving and Reed, especially Reed who I'm really high on, don't know about Doss

C- draft if you ask me

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't know squat about the players mentioned, but I 100% agree with the positions addressed. The only other position I want to see addressed is SS

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    I'm watching the Senior Bowl to get a look at some of the high profile players in action against each other. Much more useful to me than the ...yawn....combine. Concentrating on watching the line play on both sides of the ball.

8. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Love is the only one i like, rest of the picks are crap

9. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    Does AJ draft beef?

10. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Of course he does, now sure its in the 4th-7th round, but he still does. So expect 1 beef pick this year!

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Pretty sure we only have one pick between rounds 4-7. So he better go with beef early

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    We need beef and there's alot of high quality beef in the first two rounds so he better go out and get it

13. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    so you would want our draft to look like

1. Aldon smith olb
    2 demarus love ot
    2 phil taylor dt
    3 pierre allen de
    3 Quan Sturdivant ilb
    6 Mario Harvey ilb

cuz i rather our draft go like this
    1. Aldon smith olb
    2 Greg jones ilb
    2 demarcus love ot
    3 sam acho de
    3 Chimdi Chekwa cb
    6 Eugene Clifford ss

14. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    I want DE, OLB, ILB, SS and OT (best player available, not necesarily in that order)

15. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I wasn't very impressed with Love at the Senior BOWL and neither was anyone else. I'd be really cautious about wanting to plug him in not only at RT but in the second round. He was pretty much beaten in Sugar Bowl by Cameron Heyward and was tossed around in the Senior Bowl too.
    I'd rather go
    Cameron Jordan/JJ Watt DE
    Brooks Reed OLB
    Orlando Franklin RT
    Mason Foster ILB
    Titus Young WR

16. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Beef
    WR Leonard Hankerson
    RB Damien Berry
    KR Shaky Smithson

17. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Mock for our first 3 rounds...

18. Gabe Carimi OT
    50. Quinton Carter S
    61. Marvin Austin DT (And yes, he will fall this far)
    82. Rodney Hudson C/G
    89. Casey Matthews ILB

18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I've been down on Heyward, but - while there are a number of guys who have the potential to play the position - he's the most prototypical 5-Technique DE in this draft - and yes that includes Dareus. I'm always skeptical of Tressel Era OSU players though because their AD and "The Sweater Vest" protect themselves way too much in terms of scheduling for my taste... in no small part because it kept them - with no conference championship game till now - largely always in the BCS Bowl picture and gave them an easier road to the NC, thus making their recruiting considerably easier. Heyward isn't flashy; he's not the high-potential ceiling guy that someone like Allen Bailey or Nick Fairley are, but his floor is higher than that of either of those guys to be honest - I'd contend higher than JJ Watt's too.

I get that everyone would like every draft pick to turn out to be a superstar and a future all-pro, but that's not what this team needs... and that's not what's getting teams to the Big Game these days. Do they have a few perennial Pro Bowler's? Sure, and realistically so do we. That said, we need a draft where AJ consistently hits multi-base hits or even quality singles after the first 2 picks, as opposed to one big homerun blast with another plate appearance or two where he goes down swinging... so to use the baseball analogy. More high floor if sacrificing some ceiling to get those guys than project players with oodles of potential to be amazing players if the stars align and everything in their development goes according to plan.

I will say though, and I left him off my initial draft prospect analysis because I really didn't believe there was better than a 10-15% chance he would declare, I'm very quickly warming to the likes of Corey Liuget. He has experience lining up at the 5-Tech, his punch is vicious, he's adept at stacking and shedding, and he's built like a Mack truck - i.e. lots of lower-body torque/anchors extremely well - which is my biggest criticism of guys like Bailey and Watt. He lacks a little in terms of closing/pursuit speed but that is easier to scheme to fix than a guy like Cesaire who can't hold his ground to save his life.

Demarcus Love... no thank you, I'd sooner us reach for someone who has 3rd round stock in the 2nd but is actually capable of playing the position. Love's feet - despite all the "he's so athletic" talk he gets - are terribly uncoordinated. He's got Guard stamped all over him. His kick-step when trying to recover is the thing gag reels are made of too.

That said, the Brooks Reed hype train has been loaded with coal and left the station en route to Draft Day. A good combine will very likely cement him as having at minimum 2nd round stock - and if he keeps drawing Clay Matthews comparisons as some analysts have already thrown out... the sky's the limit. Believe me I WANT him... I just pray AJ has the sense to draft him and let English fight for his career on this team as being potential SP95's eventual successor - and only then if he restructures his deal.

I'm developing a slow man-crush on Marcus Gilbert that I'm not afraid to admit. Good pedigree, well-coached prior in college, underrated pass-blocking skills, and the potential to be a road-grader. He fits what our offensive scheme of the last two years currently tries to do extremely well. Orlando Franklin has also become my new favorite prospect from The U this year - scary punch and beastly with his hands which translates to the kind of guy that defensive linemen typically try to avoid altogether.

And if by some miracle we landed Tandon Doss at the bottom of the 3rd, I might dance naked in the street. Playing at Indiana didn't do him many favors as far as getting his name out there, but the guy is quality. Needs a little more work with getting his hands to be consistent - but then so does Hankerson who all the internet community is in love with after the Senior Bowl, but who still body-catches more than I'd prefer (and I have on good authority from a friend that was at the Senior Bowl with a press credential, that the scouts of the actual teams aren't as gaga over him as the commentators and the fans are). Courtney Brown - with a solid 40 turned in - has Vincent Jackson 2.0 potential... also with respect to the fact that VJ drops 60-65% of everything that was thrown to him his first year and a half here, and Brown has the same consistency issues with his hands that Joyner would have to work out. And WR is one of the few positions I'm actually confident in our present coaching staff to be able to capable develop "project" talent.

19. gettough

gettough BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    The first round pick, if available, should be one of these three players:

1. Cameron Jordan
    2. J.J. Watt
    3. Gabe Carimi

20. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848