1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Ridiculously early mock draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by DenverBolt67, Nov 27, 2013.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Sanders - Will cost more than Royal does now, and won't add any dimension we don't have already. We need a redzone target with some deep ball ability, and though it may see counter intuitive Anquan Boldin interests me a lot as a #2. Also Maclin and Britt shouldn't be shunned.

Woodyard - A lot of money for a player we don't need unless we lose Butler. We just spent a 2nd on this area, let's allow it to unfold. If you're looking for a sneaky LB we could use look at Jason Worilds, O'Brien Schofield, I could even see Anthony Spencer coming cheap.

I'm fine with Caldwell and Johnson in camp competition roles.

2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Agreed on Sanders. I think he can be a deep threat though. I really like Doug Baldwin too, even before this big game he had against SF.

Woodyard will come cheap. Backups aren't expensive, and I doubt the Broncos have the cap room to retain a backup when they'll have so many other needs. Te'o was God awful against the run and Butler struggled as well.

3. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I dont have a problem with signing a backup ILB since we lack any depth there whatsoever. I think a guy like Max Bullough could be an interesting fit in the draft. He's a hard working thumper type (what we lack), that can help us on ST's.

I disagree with what you think we need in a WR. We need someone to stretch the field. Our problem in the RZ was that our Guards couldn't move guys off of the ball it wasn't that we dont have a red zone target, Allen is perfect for the redzone. We need someone with speed, we have absolutely no speed on this offense, Telesco said it himself. I think we bring back DAX on a smaller, low guaranteed money deal. But Allen is big and physical, and i think Brown is better than what he shoed this year. But we seriously need some athleticism at WR, whether its someone big and fast or a quick guy.

4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    I disagree that Sanders is a deep threat, he's a Royal clone only a bit more healthy.

ILB is just not a priority unless Butler leaves (doubtful), and we're not going to have the cap room to just give up on Te'o after 1 year. Let's find a decent NT and see if that helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Antonio Brown was the #1 WR this year in Pitt. He played the deep threat role that Mike Wallace had last year. Compare the stats to Brown (2013) and Wallace (2011) and Sanders (2013) to Brown's (2012), Sanders worked underneath routes while Brown worked downfield.

Sanders showed he can be a deep threat last year and at times this year. He has the speed and release to get separation and take the top off.

We need depth at ILB. We didn't have Butler and Te'o at times this year, both missing 3-4 games I believe. So we need depth at the position, Butler missed 4 games last year as well. Te'o didn't really have a good year. It was quite disappointing, but Louis Nix and Stephon Tuitt did a lot for him to ball out his years at ND.

6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Closer to Doom in that he struggles against the run and gets eaten up by blockers way too easily. Arm length is going to be big determining factor for him. But I'd rate Demarcus Lawrence and Chris Smith above Sam fairly easily. And I wouldn't say that Sam is a clear pick over Dee Ford either - both are kind of interchangeable.

7. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    I like Lawrence, has long arms, and is lanky. Want to see him run as well as Chris Smith. Both look like they can be tweeners. Ford looks like a situational pass rusher at best. I feel like once the LT or RT gets their hands on him they'll dominate, think he has a lot to learn in the NFL.

Sam is a strong dude, has an array of pass rush moves as well, and can break a spin move out of no where. He's frame is already filled, he struggles with change of direction though but I want to see him run as well.

8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Its a shame we never got to see Byron Jerideau play this season, I honestly wouldn't mind seeing a full season of He and Lessimore to see what we have.

9. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    I wouldn't take my chance on it. Think he should be on the PS, unless he balls out in Pre-Season against 1s.

I like what our coaching staff does at times, mixing it all around early in the year to get a good glimpse of players playing against 1s.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I'm just saying we don't know what we have in this kid because we never got to play a snap or if he did it was a very small sample size, he fits the bill of what everyone suggest we're looking for, a short, stout, to close the "A" gaps and who is strong enough to command a double team.

At the same time having Sean Lissemeore and then not having Sean Lissemore really made a difference when he wasn't available for the Playoffs it was highly noticeable. Plus the system we use is more consistently the One Gap

11. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    But if we cut him, don't we need a Royal clone? That YAC ability on screens was a big part of our offense. Andre Roberts would be my choice. Not as fast, but quick. And he should be cheaper. Much more durable.

In a perfect world, I'd keep Eddie. But his cap number is too big for a guy who's always hurt.

12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    I agree Royal makes too much, but I think it's unlikely Sanders signs a contract that would make him equal/cheper than Royal to begin with, with the Steelers obviously bidding on him as well.

It just seems like a luxury to me, cap is going to be very tight this offseason even if we release Clary, and then Floyd and Hardwick retire. Its hard to see any BIG FA moves coming this offseason. (Which of course will lead to some fans calling Spanos cheap again...but it is what it is.). It'll probably be the cheaper supporting cast players like Rinehart, Dunlap, and Phillips last year.

A guy I really want who may come cheap and would help us is Anthony Dixon. Converting in the redzone is a big problem for us, bigger IMO than finding a speedy receiver.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  13. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    No, Sanders will be too expensive you're right. And I get that money is tight. But if we cut Royal and sign a replacement with a smaller cap figure, it would help more than it would hurt. I view it as more vital than a luxury. Our quick game has become the foundation of our offense, and quick games thrive on yards after the catch. Royal is our best in that regard, so cutting him would necessitate signing a comparable skill set in my opinion.

14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    I agree. I was only saying Sanders isn't much of a realistic option, or so much better than Royal that it'd really be worth it.

Im interested to see what restricted tender the Bengals put on Andrew Hawkins. Given he was a UDFA, the organization is notoriously cheap, and they are loaded already at WR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Stealing him would be fantastic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Walter Football; this is a pretty nice draft

25. [​IMG]San Diego Chargers: Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State [​IMG]
    The Chargers' defense made every single quarterback look like a Pro Bowler earlier in the year. They have a dreadful cornerback situation, which could be remedied with the use of an early-round pick in May's draft. They're getting one of the top players available at a major position of need.

57. [​IMG]San Diego Chargers: Michael Sam, DE/OLB, Missouri [​IMG]
    The Chargers were so desperate for help at rush linebacker that they signed Dwight Freeney last offseason. The former Colt is obviously not a long-term solution for the team's pass-rushing woes. He wasn't even a short-term answer.

89. [​IMG]San Diego Chargers: Cyril Richardson, G/OT, Baylor [​IMG]
    The Chargers have some issues on the interior of their offensive line. Both Chad Rinehart and Rich Ohrnberger are impending free agents, while Jeromey Clary continues to struggle at his new position.

121. [​IMG] San Diego Chargers: Cameron Fleming, OT, Stanford [​IMG]

Jeromey Clary had to play tackle when King Dunlap got hurt. This cannot be allowed to happen again.

17. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    2 OL in the first 4 rounds?! And Michael Sam, who looks like a poor man's Sam Montgomery against quality OTs?

I saw a quick mock by a Chargers fan on another forum, wouldn't be upset with:

"1. Louis Nix III , NT, Notre Dame
    2. Terrance Mitchell, CB, Oregon
    3. Marcus Smith, OLB, Louisville
    4. Josh Huff, WR, Oregon
    5. Aaron Lynch, OLB, USF
    6. Storm Johnson, RB, UCF
    7. Eric Thomas, WR, Troy" *

*LBC's guy right there, I watched some tape on him, he has some great tools and charateristics, and played well against good competition whenever he faced them.

18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    My 2 issues with Walt...

1) I don't like Sam, I'd like to see us go Marcus Smith should the draft fall this way.

2) Richardson would likely start at RG and move to RT in the event of Dunlap going down again, so drafting a RT in the 4th is a luxury. I'd like to see us go NT, RB or WR all before adding another RT.

19. chargers80

chargers80 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Love the thought of D.Denard( State fan also) playing for us, but he will be gone way earlier than our pick.
    Here is a flexable estimation of Aprils events.
    Rd 1) either Louis Nix(dt) or Antonio Richardson(ot)
    Rd 2) Marcus Roberson(cb) or Cyril Richardson(og)
    Rd 3) Terrence Mitchell (cb) or Micael Sam (olb)
    Rd 4) Aaron Lynch(olb) or Daniel McCullers(dt)
    Rd 5) Max Bullough(ilb) or Aaron Murray(qb)
    Rd 6) Ben Gardiner(de) or James Wilder jr (rb)
    Rd 7) Jeff Janis(wr) or Dri Archer(rb).

No matter who they select, here's to a great 2014 season. GO BOLTS GO!!!!

20. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    My 2 issues with Walt...

1) He's a moron.

2) He's stupid.

• Like Like x 1
  21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    He's also a pretty major tool. I forget who it was I talked to that's met him on several occasions (probably not Emory, because Emory speaks well of just about everybody), but they said the guy is just monumentally full of himself to the Shawn Zobel/Russ Lande category.

22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Yeah, I want no part of McCullers - the guy just doesn't want to be motivated. Moreover he's a natural two-gapper, and doesn't really fit into what we do with majority 1-gapping. I'd take Justin Ellis or Zach Kerr (he's going to legitimize at the combine why those that have actually scouted him to this point have him as an early Day 3 pick) over him in a heartbeat, and I'd be tempted to roll the dice on a smaller guy adding bulk over time like Carraun Reid or Bruce Gaston (later than the 4th obviously) over him.

23. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    That's how he comes across. It's also become abundantly clear to me that he has next to no idea what he's doing. He's just figured out that there's a huge appetite online for draft content, so new content every day = lots of hits.

24. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    What the **** is with all you guys and Cyril Richardson? The guy is a total turnstile, get over it already.

25. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    Dump his *** and draft Campanaro.

26. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    :poop: