1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

RIP Don Coryell

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Twitter:

:(

2. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    just saw this on PFT.com. A sad day for all bolt fans.

3. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    RIP,Don Coryell. Thank's for the memories. :yes:

4. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Don Coryell, one of the good guys... [​IMG]

5. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Don Coryell was the reason I became a Chargers fan, a great offensive mind and a coach that deserves to be in the hall of fame.

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    RIP coach, we're gonna miss you, thanks for all the amazing the memories of Air Coryell

[​IMG]

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Condolences to one of the greatest coaches of all time and a true hall of famer

you will be missed

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    One of the GREATEST coaches of all time, bar none. Heaven became a little bit better today and their football team has just gotten one hell of a new Head Coach.

RIP Don, we love you and may your family be blessed and at peace.:bolt:

9. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    RIP Don :(

10. NW Bolt Babe

NW Bolt Babe RIP Jr.

Ratings:
    +94
    • Like Like x 1
  11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I am one pissed off Charger fan that Don Coryell was not inducted into the Hall of Shame as it should now be known. Putting Don in now is like designing an ice berg breaker for the Titanic.

12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Don Coryell has become one with the universe and taken his rightful seat amongst the other football legends who have gone to the great beyond. In those hallowed halls of the Mighty Football Gods may his influence be felt like his offensive mind powers were throughout the league, and may he uses his amazing Jedi skills to help bring us the title we so desperately crave.

13. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    "Just throw the damn ball to JJ." - Don Coryell. :lol:

14. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Coryell pushed the envelope

Coach was football's Chuck Yeager

By Nick Canepa , UNION-TRIBUNE COLUMNIST
    Thursday, July 1, 2010

Don Coryell changed things.
    He went through life never being satisfied, constantly grabbing the outside of the envelope and pushing it. Don Coryell was football’s Chuck Yeager. The game couldn’t be fast enough, dangerous enough, or innovative enough to suit the mad scientist that lived within him.
    The football field was his laboratory, and the X’s and O’s went into his beakers and test tubes, the quarterback always serving as his Bunsen burner. He constantly experimented, especially in his youth, first with the I formation, and then with the passing game, which he flew to ridiculous heights.
    Along the way, he passed on his notes and findings to the likes of Ernie Zampese, Joe Gibbs, Mike Martz and Norv Turner. They were disciples who tinkered with Don’s original, but never messed with the most volatile offense the game has known to the point of making the model unrecognizable.
    After an illness he fought with all the fighting in his being, and there was plenty of that, Don Coryell passed away Thursday at 85, leaving behind a legacy written in indelible ink, one that will not be erased from football in any future lifetime. It can’t be done. Every game that will be played, watched and coached until St. Peter blows the final whistle will have his fingerprints all over it.
    It is an absolute fact. Don Coryell changed the game forever, and there is no going back now. He shoved it too far. In a way, he was the game’s Sinatra; every coach worth his salt who came along after Don stole something from what he accomplished even before his legend grew as head coach at San Diego State, St. Louis and then during his final aerial act with the Chargers.
    In the coming hours, days and weeks, you will read and listen to many testimonials rightfully praising Don, quite possibly the most unique, focused individual I’ve known. This one will be from me, because I knew Don Coryell, covered him and spoke to him often. I don’t need anything from anyone else to do this.
    This was a good, loyal, decent man. I was covering the Chargers the day he was ordered to fire Tom Bass, his defensive coordinator and longtime friend, a terrific, terribly bright coach who simply didn’t have the personnel to stop many people. Don cried like a baby.
    We were talking one day and, from out of the blue, he started up on the Canadian Football League, with its wider and longer field, with skill players allowed to move forward before the ball is snapped.
    “I’d love to see football go to a bigger field here — especially wider,” he said, dreamily. Imagine what he could have done with more room?
    I was talking with our Bill Center, who covered Don and the Aztecs in the late 1960s and early ’70s, and he wondered aloud how many people really knew Coryell. Outside of his family, I guessed, not many.
    If you’ve seen the movie “The Thin Man,” Don was much like the title character, a brilliant inventor and innovator, but terribly absent minded. I’ve always been convinced that, on game days, Don didn’t know what city he was in. The blinders were on.
    My favorite example came in 1983. The Chargers were in Seattle, and we were staying at the Sea-Tac Red Lion Hotel, which had outdoor elevators. Game day morning, I got on the elevator and headed down to breakfast. It stopped on a lower floor, and in walked Don. He kept his back to the door, stared right past me, and when we arrived at the lobby, he turned and left.
    We were the only two people in that elevator. I’d known him for 15 years, covered him every day as Chargers beat man then, and he never acknowledged my presence. I exited laughing my head off. Perfect Don.
    He did not like to lose. During his days at SDSU, in fact, he constantly fought for national recognition, so his teams couldn’t score enough. But, on the record, he never badmouthed a player or another team.
    In 1983, the Chargers hosted Dallas here and things didn’t look good, what with quarterback Dan Fouts out injured and Coryell forced to start backup Ed Luther. On the Friday before the game, I caught linebacker Linden King after lunch and he basically said the Cowboys were overrated and the Chargers were going to win.
    Well, I was with The Tribune then and we didn’t have a Sunday paper, so King’s quotes appeared in my Saturday advance story. That night, my wife and I went to dinner at Pernicano’s Casa Di Baffi in Hillcrest, where the coaches always wined and dined before home games. Upon our arrival, Rick Smith, then Chargers publicist, met us and told me: “Coach wants to see you.”
    I said to myself: “This isn’t going to be good.” We went into a room (which Smith conveniently mixed out of) and there was Don, who proceeded to tear into me for running a story that could give Dallas an edge. I told him I simply was quoting one of his players. Let’s just say Coach didn’t have nice things to say about Linden King. But we were fine after that. We were always fine.

15. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    By far my favorite coach of my time and all time, I'll always respect and admire Don. Rest in peace :icon_cry:

16. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I will never forget the Air Coryell years...damn exciting football. Certainly a hall of fame coach...no doubt in my mind.:yes:

17. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    We loved his fire and will always be thankful for those great years of AIR! Thanks coach.

18. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    What a load of **** that he was not inducted this year, so that he could have at least enjoyed the honor of being inducted.

We'll miss you coach!

19. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    They don't make 'em like that anymore, folks.
    Rest in peace, Coach!

...Time for a "win the whole damn thing for the Gipper" speech down in Murphy Canyon.

Don Coryell - NFL HOF 2011...don't make us come down there!

20. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Fouts' support for Coryell

ESPN
    By Bill Williamson
    6-1-2010

Last November, quarterback Dan Fouts allowed me to publish his letter of support for his San Diego Chargers coach Don Coryell bid for enshrinement in the Hall of Fame. Fouts sent the letter to every member of the voting committee.

Coryell’s bid fell short in February, but he can still be enshrined in future years. Coryell died at the age of 85 Thursday night. I wanted to post the letter one more time to show what Coryell meant to the NFL and to his players.

Dear Hall of Fame Voters:

I am writing you to ask for your consideration of Don Coryell for induction to the Pro Football Hall of Fame for the Class of 2010.

For many reasons, I firmly believe that Don Coryell has earned his place in Canton. First and foremost, I would not be in the Hall of Fame myself had it not been for my nine years as Don’s quarterback with the San Diego Chargers. It was Coryell -- with his revolutionary vision, his unique style of leadership and his successful implementation of the most innovative offense the NFL had ever witnessed -- that led me and my teammates, Kellen Winslow and Charlie Joiner, to the steps of the Hall of Fame.

I feel strongly that induction into the Hall of Fame should be based primarily on one’s contribution to this great game and continuing influence that is felt as the game is played today. All you have to do is review the careers of Hall of Fame coaches such as John Madden, Bill Walsh and Joe Gibbs, and see who provided them with the inspiration and innovation that led to their own Hall of Fame careers. Super Bowl coaches such as Dick Vermeil and Mike Martz, the great offensive coordinator Ernie Zampese and Chargers coach Norv Turner would all concur that the “Air Coryell” offense contributed a great deal to their own success.

I have spoken personally with all of the aforementioned coaches, and they have all expressed their strong feeling that Don deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. If my former coach and HOF classmate Bill Walsh were with us today, he would be among the most vocal proponents of the case to be made for Don’s inclusion.

But it is not only on the offensive side of the ball that his touch is felt. Whoever heard of the nickel or dime pass defense before “Air Coryell” forced opponents to come up with strategies to combat Coryell’s aerial assault?

There are countless statistics to back up the Coryell story. The one that makes me most proud is the domination of the Chargers passing statistics from 1978 to 1985. If you look up the leader for yearly passing yardage from ’78-’83, Coryell’s Chargers were number one. In 1984, the Dolphins, led by the great Dan Marino, were first and the Chargers second. But in 1985, San Diego regained the top spot. For six straight years and seven of eight years, Air Coryell dominated. Nowhere in the history of the NFL has there ever been one team rule a statistical category over such a span of time.

Don Coryell is 85 years old, and remains a huge fan of the game who delights in seeing his vision played out each Sunday across the NFL. I hope you will agree that it is time for him to be given the recognition that he so clearly deserves.

If any of the Hall of Fame Selectors would like to discuss this personally, please feel free to call me at my home or on my cell. Thank you all for your thoughtful consideration.

Sincerely,

Dan Fouts
    Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 1993

21. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    We use to watch Coach Coryell at SDSU back in the day. What a blast.

Now a piece of me has also died.

How many more of us will die before we ever see a Super Bowl ?

This dude brought me back as a fan. Harland Svare screwed this team and fan base into the ground. Prothro drafted well and set up Coryell for a nice run and the rest is as they say .... history.

Respects to Don Coryell and his family. :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  22. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    I agree - had he been elected this year, at least he would've passed knowing that he would be immortalized in Canton, and now even if he ever gets in, he'll never know about it.

RIP to a man who revolutionized the way football is played in the NFL, both on offense and how the defense had to adjust to defend his aerial attack.

23. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    I also agree that Don Coryell should be in the HOF. But, there are still a lot of others that also should / deserve to be there,too. :yes:

24. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Rest in peace, Don........you gave us some GREAT memories over your years with the Chargers. You had class, and you built one helluva football team. May you be awarded your Super Bowl ring in Heaven!!

25. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    RIP Coach! Indeed it is time for a "win one for the Gipper" speech in Murphy Canyon.

26. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    I'm so damn sad right now. He's the coach that I grew up watching and is my all time favorite Chargers coach.

RIP Air Coryell, and damn you hall of fame for not getting him in while he was still with us.

27. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    There are others who aren't in the HOF that should be, but none of them deserve it as much as Don Corryell. I hope those who didn't vote for him this time around have a restless night. His mind and his drive still lights up defenses and will continue to do so for some time. Most of my fondest sports memories begin and end with him. RIP

28. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Here's to the Godfather of modern football. :icon_toast:
    Rest in peace.:bolt:

29. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I hope the Chargers honor him with a patch or helmet decal :tup:

30. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    How about wearing the 80's throwback uni's for a game to honor him.

[​IMG]