1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

RIP - Lou Reed

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Dominion Bolt, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Dominion Bolt

Dominion Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +104
    Sorry, I know this is a non-Charger thread, but since it's a bye week, just thought I note the passing of an icon.

Here he comes, he's all dressed in black
    PR shoes and a big straw hat
    He's never early, he's always late
    first thing you learn is that you always gotta wait
    I'm waiting for my man

Rest in Peace, Lou

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Saw that this morning. A loss of a real legend.

3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,452
    All the greats are passing away........ very sad. :(

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  4. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    No doubt. So many good times playing his music in bands, listening to it in the halls in high school, cranking it in the auto, ****, the 500s - early 70s were a helluva creative era for music. They'll all be gone soon, all of us who grew up with it will be gone soon enough too, but despite all the amputation, ppl will still be dancing to rock and roll stations. Amazing how 20 years changed the trajectory of music.

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Amazing how an artist who was as extremely influential other musicians, was largely overlooked by the general public. Reed was a trailblazer and musical giant...... we won't see his like again.

6. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    At least not until another revolution in music comes along. He was on the forefront of 60s expansion to rock and kept cranking out works of creative genius through his career.

Nice article here: http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...31027,0,4885451.story?track=rss#axzz2izTQV47s

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Exactly...... Rock 'n Roll is in its Post-Moderist phase. Rather than having true movements, it's just an anything goes period where there's little of lasting value or originality.

I read that piece earlier.... this one is more insightful view than most I've seen.

8. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +162
    RIP and respect to his art -which I like-but...
    He (a Crock n Roll Hall of Famer) was not an "outsider" or really very influential outside his alternative lyrics. It's not just this site respecting him either...the interwebs are aflame. As far as "overlooked", was anyone here talking about Dio's death?

9. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I don't know--first, Dio isn't in the HOF? (not like the Rock n Roll HOF isn't pointless, but Dio was hardly an outsider).
    Reed was an outsider until walk on the wild side (or maybe with Sweet Jane before that). To suggest that VU or Lou Reed's 70s and early 80s music wasn't influential, damn not sure how to respond to that.
    Sure Sabbath had their moments, but let's face facts, they were on Zeppelin's shoulders, and Zeppelin copped more than a few bluesmen. Love listening to all that, but you should play VU with the year they recorded their material in mind.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  10. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Other than the look, I never really got the Lou Reed-punk connection. His music was so far from Black Flag that the connection never really made sense (course that begs the 'what is punk' question).
    Maybe it was White Light White Heat? But hell, Communication Breakdown came out the same year and was more aligned with punk music, just that punks hated Zeppelin's style.
    At any rate, both bands upped the amputation.

11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    I like the part when he sang about ♫ "the wild side..." ♫ :)

12. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    I never said he wasn't influential but if he were singing about lollipops he wouldn't have been. **** loads of musicians were doing that style of music then before he marketed it with edgy gay lyrics.

I'm Open to correction on what seems to me to be boring-though well written- VU and Lou Reed music. But it doesn't seem to be two sided

I never said, "Sabbath" but that chapter of Sabbath was the most original magical chapter of that band. Elf, Rainbow, Sabbath and Solo, he was an original and perplexed all until he died a couple of years ago. Live, he never faltered. But because the lame Rolling stone media heads control perception, guys like Lou Reed are sooooooo ******* important while Dio ( a guy who has thousands of people influenced by his skills) gets igonred on sport sites.

13. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I play drums, not guitar, so if Dio was another Jeff Beck and influenced every guitarist and their mother, I wouldn't know it. If so, **** that's great. Who cares what Rolling Stone writes? They've gone back on their reviews so many times, and that was apparent enough in the mid-80s, that I stopped reading it then.
    Hey, if you can listen to 10 Lou Reed tunes and say, 'Sure enough, I never heard anything like that after Lou Reed recorded it' then yeah, I guess he wasn't influential. But you're gonna have to cherry pick those tunes. **** the media, just listen to the music.

14. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    I think the world is mostly tone deaf and they love and mourn people as they're told to. You may not follow the media but the millions around you sharing your original opinion, do. I never said he wasn't influential but just as way of comparison brought up someone else who was, who got no love from the memory gods running the media. Back to your earlier posts, Sabbath -with or without Dio- did not stand on the shoulders of that cover band, Led Zeppelin. Again, my problem isn't with Lou Reed.

15. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    True enough. Can't count on the music media, or indeed the media in general, to accurately convey anything. In fact the most poignant comments on Reed have come from his fellow musicians / bandmates. No surprise there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    And you just know most the "fans" morning him, couldn't recognize anything but "Walk on the Wild Side". Just another care bear party in the United Holgogram of America

17. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Iggy as Lou, perfect. I've gotta get one of those.
    VU influence: John Cale produced The Stooges first album.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  19. PB Bolt

PB Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +138
    I got to see him a few times. Always a GREAT show. He's going to be missed.