1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

rival fan question

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by saintfan, Aug 29, 2006.

1. saintfan

saintfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm a Saints fan and want to know the pluses and minuses regarding Donnie Edwards. What's his "up" side and also what are his "down" sides as well. I've heard that he is unhappy (poor millioniare baby) in San Diego and also hurt (maybe) but my question is...is he really worth a third? round pick for?
    An honest asessment would be nice.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Positives
    Is a very intelligent linebacker
    One of hte best pass coverage LBs
    Good at dissecting plays and being near them
    Almost never misses his assignment
    Can be a good general on the field
    Almost never gets injured

Negatives
    Can't take on guards and break off contact
    Not much of a blitzer
    Lack of bulk means he has a hard time pulling down RBs
    Has a tendency to make plays down the field as opposed to in the backfield

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    for a linebacker poor team he'd be a great asset to you because of his ability and leadership but your not getting a super all world LB. He will be a good player for you and he will get the job done with Simeanou (sp?) and Fujita

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654

This is a pretty good assessment with the one exception.

Donnie is horrific in coverage.

5. saintfan

saintfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the reply and info. I believe we are looking at some type of short term thing with the idea of a long time solution coming via the draft. I guess he is being considered as a two year option for us. We are desperate for someone to play LB who actually resembles one.

6. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Take this to your Saints GM:

Donnie Edwards is the greatest MLB in the game today. His tackle numbers over the past 4 seasons have shown this. He is a team player and rarely complains about anything.

Donnie is never shy about thrusting himself into the LOS to blow up the ballcarrier, or at the very least tie him up until help arrives, achieving little rushing yardage given up as a result.

Even though he's 33, he plays like he's 23, and should provide any team with the quality leadership that some LB corps need.

He is easily worth the Saints giving up a first or second round pick. He was a 2003 Pro Bowl alternate, narrowly beat out in the voting process by some fickle, uninformed fans. There is no reason to think he wouldn't make the Pro Bowl for this season's performance if given the chance to lead a team in tackles again.

Unfortunately, he no longer has a place with the Chargers because we have some other LBs we would like to showcase in the future.

Donnie's $3.55 million salary for this season is a bargain and any team in the NFL, especially one with a new head coach and LB issues, should jump at the chance to trade for him before it's too late.

He will provide the Saints with a Pro-Bowl caliber MLB for years to come.

:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    I disagree.

Edwards was one of our better coverage LB's.

That is the knock on Wilhelm right now. Better in run support but lacking in pass coverage compared to Donnie.

8. saintfan

saintfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    WAT too much sweetener on this for me. You must be one of those who think all of us boys from the south is just plain slow and stupid. Hell Mike Singletary wasn't all that......but thanks for the time to reply. It's no secret that we do need just about ANYONE to play LB for us but if they give up a first or second (or third IMO) for him then I will go nuts!

9. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Wilhelm is getting much better, Cooper is more like Donnie in pass coverage

I find Donnie to be the best cover linebacker, especially in zone coverage, in the game. He knows his assignments, he does not stray, he does not bite on fakes or get confused.

10. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Watch Donnie man up and go falling down - again .... I have seen it till I have seen enough.........

11. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
  12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I want you to especially watch any tape of Donnie covering Gonzo from the Chiefs .....

It does not seem that Jammer gets owned by anyone but for Donnie it is cool ?

Nope.

13. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    You are singling out one player that he struggled with.

Alot of LB's struggle with Gonzales.

DE is/was a solid coverage LB.

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Hey I can make a list and pull up youtube clips until we are both blue in the face.

Gonzo was just the most obvious.

Why make excuses for Donnie ?

It would not be acceptable if this were Jammer getting owned now would it?

15. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23

I'm not making excuses for him. I don't think we need him on this team anymore.

I just see his play differently than you do.

I think he is pretty solid in coverage.

His play at the point of attack on running plays leaves a lot to be desired.

16. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Nice job Ant. Good assessment. I'll just add that a lot of Charger fans are down on him because of his perceived whining about his contract and the belief that while he led the team in tackles, his tackles for a loss stats are pretty poor.

17. saintfan

saintfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I didn't mean to start a inforum conflict between yall. I've read "trumpetman" on the saints site and he didn't make any friends there. It is true exactcopies is on that site as well. I am not aware of the personal issues that some have but I'm just after some information on Edwards and honestly am not trying to start any ****. I'm not sure what Mr. Trumpet is saying about the mods on the saints board but whatever.....

18. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    exactcopies is not a fan of any team only of one player, Drew Brees.

If the Saints do not extend his contract after this year ecopies will be long gone from your forum and on to wherever Drew ends up.

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I saw some whacked stats on Donnie and he was almost dead last in every category that meant something which confirmed what I have been seeing all along comparitively.

I bet the same fans were saying we could get a few more years out of Junior Seau when it was way obvious his time here was over.

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

No worries dudes.

Your MODS have given me a ration but it is all good.

I am glad you are getting the low down on Edwards and not only from me.....

21. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Donnie Edwards has polarized ALOT of the fans in San Diego with his whining. I liked Edwards alot but his constant complaining and beating his breast has really annoyed me. Your going to get a tackling machine but not behind the line. You'll get a good team leader but someone who constantly beats his breast. I don't really wander on other sites because I have a tendency to get banned (I dont think I've been banned from the saints) but I think I gave you a pretty honest assessment of Edwards.

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The Saintsrevolution board is a bit buggy. I have a hard time posting over there and the targeting for the buttons seem "off"...heads up.

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
  24. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851

It works for me. Maybe your IP got banned. :icon_eek:

:lol:

25. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Donnie is a LB who makes a lot of tackles but very few impact plays. He will often tackle a ball carrier and be dragged two or three yards. It's rare for him to "stop" a ball-carrer. He gets run over by big backs because he cannot tackle high. Opposing offenses will run right at Donnie in goalline and short-yardage situations because he is not a penetrating linebacker.

He usually does a decent job of navigating his way through traffic if the play is away from him. But if the offense throws a lead-blocker at him he's pretty easy to take out of any given play. He's fast but not physical. My favorite description is that he plays like a bigger-than-average free-safety, only at linebacker.

His coverage skills are overrated. He consistently fails to get deep enough in his drop and a lot of his tackles are the result of players catching the ball in his zone and then Donnie tackling them.

Let me put it this way: You'll watch many games where Donnie doesn't stand out at all, makes no big hits, not short-yardage stops, no impact tackles, no memorable passes-defenses, and no turnovers or sacks. Then when you read the stat-sheet it will say Donnie had 12 tackles and you'll think, "huh?"

• Like Like x 1
  26. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    :icon_evil: :icon_evil: :icon_evil: :icon_evil: :icon_evil:

27. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Check it again, I just did and SaintsRevolution came up fine for me.

If it doesn't for you, then you've likely been IP banned.

28. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

This is what I get:

The page cannot be displayed
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
    See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
    Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
    On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
    Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
    Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
    If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
    Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
    Internet Explorer

29. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    I tried it just for fun.

I can get in with no problems.

30. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I thought I was doing good with the MODS ... I never got a warning....Oh well..... :lol: