1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivera an Eagles fan?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by mandude, Nov 28, 2007.

1. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page...1128&sportCat=ncf&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos1

So there is this great article on "the play" and an even better video on the right that documents and deconstructs "the play."

About a minute deep, is a guy who is labled as "Ron Rivera" and who looks a lot like our "Ron Rivera" wearing a eagles hat.

what's up with that? Can't support the Blue and Gold there Ronny?

:icon_shrug:

2. David110

David110 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5

Reeellaaxxxxx. That video was made a couple years back. ESPN is just replaying if for the 25th Anniversary of "The Play". When they interview Ron Rivera, he was on the Eagles coaching staff.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    it was tongue and cheek... good article/video anyways, so I thought it was worth posting.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Coaching career

In 1993, Rivera went to work for a WGN-TV and SportsChannel in Chicago as a TV analyst covering the Bears and college football. In 1996, he became a defense quality control coach for the Bears.

[edit] Philadelphia Eagles

In 1999, Rivera was named linebackers coach for the Philadelphia Eagles. During his tenure the Eagles advanced to the NFC Championship for three consecutive seasons. He is credited with developing linebacker Jeremiah Trotter into a two-time Pro Bowl performer.

[edit] Back in Chicago

On January 23, 2004, Rivera was named the Chicago Bears Defensive Coordinator, becoming the first Puerto Rican in the history of the NFL to hold such a position. In 2005, the Chicago Bears defense was second-rated in the NFL.[2] The Bears qualified for the NFC playoffs losing in the 2nd Round to the Carolina Panthers 29-21. The 2005 season output of the Chicago Bears earned him consideration for Head Coach assignments from several NFL teams.

In 2006, the Bears’ defensive efforts failed to match the success of their 2005 season. Nevertheless, the team was still a notable presence in league, finishing with the league’s third ranked and conference’s top-ranked points allowed category.[3] The defense’s success earned Rivera recognition among franchises looking for new head coaches. The Arizona Cardinals and Pittsburgh Steelers interviewed him in January of 2007. He was a candidate for the vacant Dallas Cowboys head coaching position, a job that ultimately went to San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. Rivera was named as a potential candidate to replace the fired Marty Schottenheimer in San Diego, but the job was filled by Norv Turner, the brother of fellow offensive coordinator, Ron Turner, Rivera's offensive counterpart in Chicago.[4] [5] [6] After the announcement, ESPN reported that the Bears were considering letting Rivera go. This came after several other teams interviewed him, and the negotiations between his representatives and the Bears were making little progress.[7] On February 19, 2007, it was announced that Ron Rivera's contract with the Bears would not be renewed.[8]

[edit] San Diego Chargers

The San Diego Chargers hired Rivera as team's linebackers coach after he left the Bears.[9]

5. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Yep, that's our Ron Rivera. He was the linebacker coach for the Eagles around 1999 to 2003. Not 100% sure on those dates, but it was around that time. That is probably when that clip was filmed.

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I'm a hoping Rivera will be our d-coach next year or head coach and still coach the defense. The defenses he's ran were very very good. I don't think thats by accident.

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    :tup:

8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Why is there a thread for this?........ somebody kill it plz. :icon_huh:

9. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288

I don't know if I want Rivera as our DC, the complaints out of Chicago was that he wasn't aggressive. I want a get after you D :yes:

10. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Rivera was thrust upon Lovie Smith by the GM. Lovie is a tampa 2 guy. Tampa 2 teams rarely blitz. I think that had less to do with Rivera and more to do with the scheme. Rivera played in Buddy Ryan's 46 defense, one of the most aggressive ever. And he was LB coach under Jim Johnson, who's an extremely aggressive blitzer.

11. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    I hope your right, but he also is a 4-3 guy not a 3-4, Bottom line is I want someone like Wade :yes: Scare the crap out of the opposing QB's :yes:

12. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

It was actually the reason why Lovie wanted him out of there. Lovie wanted to run a more aggressive Tampa 2 scheme, and Ron did not. Ron was not given a contract extension, and they promoted some coach on their roster to be the DC(I forget his name) who runs the Tampa 2 schememore to Lovie's liking.

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    There was speculation when Rivera was hired that he was a fall back guy in case Norval and/or Teddy came off the rails. I'm all for dumping Teddy and promoting Rivera. Norval is surviving on borrowed time and he has the rest of the season to settle the debt. Then he has the play offs, if we make it, to build some equity with the team. Otherwise they'd be nuts to keep these two.