1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivera not interested in other jobs … right now

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, Jan 5, 2009.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/

Adam Schefter

Posted: January 5th, 2009 | Adam Schefter | Tags: Ron Rivera, San Diego Chargers

Several teams have called San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera to interview for coaching jobs, and several teams have been rejected.

For now.

Rivera is not interested in talking to other teams until the Chargers have finished their season.

“My sole focus and concentration right now is helping the Chargers win a championship,” Rivera said. “Nothing else matters right now. I don’t want to let anything distract from our objective.”

2. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Is this even allowed? I thought other teams couldn't talk to assistants until their season was done.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Good to hear.

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    He's not going to make the same mistake he made in Chicago.

5. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Good news. I'm sure he's smart enough to know that these teams who are calling him are just going to waste his time and not make a serious offer at this point.

6. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I think [maybe I'm bias haha] that he would be best served sticking with the Bolts for at least another season to put his defensive philosophy into place [not fat teddy's] and kick some ***. THEN go get the HC job - His value will only increase the more he accomplishes in SD.

Personally - I would rather he never ever leave :D but I'm so thankful for what he's done so far I would definitely wish him well if he got a HC gig somewhere.

7. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    If he does leave after we lose a game (hypathetically speaking) i wonder if AJ would ask Teddy back?

Fuk i hope not!

8. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Won't happen. :no:

9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I think AJ has plan. Norv gets one more year then it's in with Rivera. Find a young talented (Sorry Clerance, you ain't it) OC and we're set

10. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I have serious man love for Rivera with that quote!

11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,411
    Wasn't that the plan for Wade Phillips/Marty Schottenheimer?

12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,411
    Why would he ask for Teddy back?

I'd officially jump off the AJ bandwagon if that happened.

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    That will happen like we'll ask Leaf to come out of retirement.

14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Nope, AJ doesn't sign retards......

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I think Rivera would go if we took the Lombardi. If we don't, I suspect he sees more of an opportunity for the ring than with any other team who would change coaches, especially with a healthy Merriman in the offing. He's young, and he will be sought after come then end of next season, regardless of the outcome.

16. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    Regardless of speculation, Rivera put the team first and in my mind, that makes him the Man. Hope they keep him. Imagine what he could do next year with his D installed and with Merriman. . .could be all-world . . .

17. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    let's not under appreciate what clarence has done for our running backs, LT, Turner, Sporels and with both Hester and Tolbert showing so much so early I am glad we have him, and will hopefully have for awhile.

18. starry

starry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    That's what I thought. I wouldn't praise Rivera for not looking at other jobs right now, because he shouldn't be.

If he does go I'd be worried, I don't want another defensive co-ordinator who changes our approach completely like Cottrell did. Also you have to have a DC who the players will play for, they do play for Rivera.

19. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I don't remember that scenario, but, given what happened in Dallas, maybe AJ was onto something.

Then make him the running back coach. Not a puppet OC.

:tdown:

20. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...I think the organization thinks very highly of Ron Rivera. He's an attention to detail, no nonsense, disciplinarian like Bobby Ross was. He looks confident and in charge on the sidelines. I wouldn't mind seeing him go to HC and Norv stay on as OC. This probably would never happen but let's face it...would anyone else hire Norv as a HC if the Chargers let him go?

21. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    Rivera doesn't want to repeat what happened in Chicago when he fell out of favor with Lovie Smith.

He knows if the Chargers do well, and in particular the defense, that he can write his own ticket where he wants to go.

Especially if the Chargers win the Super Bowl.:yes:

GO CHARGERS!:bolt:

22. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636

If Rivera goes AJ won't bring Cotrell back, but if Wade is let go in Dallas...:icon_shrug:

23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928

If AJ even thinks about bringing Cottrell back, he should be fired. I'm so not kidding.
    If Wade's fired, then I don't see why he wouldn't want to come back. The players would absolutely love it and it would give us the defensive guru to join our offensive guru.
    If Wade's not fired and Rivera leaves, well, we might promote Pagano or Bradley.

24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'm thinking Rivera is going to be our next HC. AJ has probably already pulled him aside and told him as much, hang here son and see your dream come true. It worked on LT. :bolt: