1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivera to Hire two Ex-Bears Coaches

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    California dreaming: Ex-Bears gather in San Diego

Looks like there is going to be a reunion of sorts in San Diego for former Bears' assistant coaches.

Steve Wilks, the defensive backs who Lovie Smith fired on Dec. 30, interviewed in San Diego with the Chargers on Saturday and will meet with team officials at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., to finalize a contract later today. It's also believed that Don Johnson, the defensive line coach for the Bears from 2005-06, will join the Chargers in some capacity. Johnson was surprisingly let go by Smith following Super Bowl XLI when defensive coordinator Ron Rivera was also run off. Rivera, of course, is calling the shots on defense for the Chargers after a midseason promotion.

Johnson spent the last two seasons with the Oakland Raiders. Wilks was the last coach to be interviewed by ex-Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden. Wilks met with Gruden on Friday about becoming the Buccaneers defensive backs coach. Wilks left for the airport to return to Chicago and the Glazers axed Gruden and general manager Bruce Allen. It's believed Gruden offered a job to Wilks.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/01/california_dreaming_exbears_ga.html

2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    This defense is going to be A LOT more aggressive. :yes:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I hope so. I hate passive schemes that sit back and react. I'd like to see our defense dictating.

4. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    woot woot, let Ron do what ever he wants!! i like the moves

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We seem to have a guy who can mold Cason and Cromartie into a good working pair, freeing up Jammer to move to safety. He is combative enough to be just what we need, plus he can cover better than your average safety.

6. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    Coaching staff starting to take shape
    Send to a friend Print Page Adjust font size small medium large RSS feed

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009
    By Casey Pearce , Chargers.com
    Head Coach Norv Turner took the first step towards filling his 2009 staff Tuesday as he announced that the team has agreed to terms with two assistant coaches.

Don Johnson is set to become the club’s new defensive line coach and Steve Wilks will guide the Chargers’ secondary. Both coaches are former Chicago Bears assistants and have a history with Bolts Defensive Coordinator Ron Rivera.

Johnson and Wilks were both with Rivera in Chicago in 2006 when the Bears led the NFL in takeaways and finished fifth in total defense en route to an NFC Championship and appearance in Super Bowl XLI.

Johnson replaces defensive line coach Wayne Nunnely, whose contract expired. Johnson spent the last two years as the Oakland Raiders’ defensive tackles coach. He previously served as the defensive line coach in Chicago (2005-06). Johnson helped Bears defensive tackle Tommie Harris earn two Pro Bowl appearances and oversaw the development of defensive end Mark Anderson, who recorded 12 sacks as a rookie in 2006.

Prior to joining the Bears, Johnson spent five seasons coaching the defensive line at UCLA and served as the school’s recruiting coordinator in 2004. The Newark, New Jersey native played at Jersey City State and for the United States Football League’s New Jersey Generals.

Wilks joins the Chargers after three seasons with the Bears and, like Rivera, Wilks places a keen emphasis on forcing turnovers. In his first two seasons in Chicago, Bears defensive backs forced 15 fumbles, the most among NFL secondaries during that period, and accounted for 27 of the team’s 40 interceptions.

A native of Charlotte, North Carolina, Wilks spent 11 seasons in the college ranks before joining the Bears, including stints at the University of Washington (2005) and Notre Dame (2004).

Wilks fills the role most recently held by Bill Bradley, who was released from his contract last week. Wilks played defensive back at Appalachian State and spent one season in the Arena Football League.

With the addition of Johnson and Wilks, the Chargers now have four openings on their coaching staff. Turner is in the process of hiring a tight ends coach as well as additional men to coach the offensive line, secondary and linebackers.

7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Surprised that Crockett is getting Wayne Nunnely's job. Seems like Nunnely has been here forever. I guess not being able to get anything out of Igor and Luis cost him in the end.

EDIT: Oh oh, did Nunnely really leave for the Donks?...... Hopefully we see more Igors up there than Jamals!!.

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Sounds good to me! :tup:

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    i don't know anything about these two dudes but if they can help us be better then I'm all for it.

10. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Neither of these two coaches' resumes look good at all.

11. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    .... well they were Rons boys when he went to the Superbowl so thats enough for me, they know what he likes to do on D so i dont know how you could question that

12. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Nunnelly has now taken an unspecified job with the Donks up in Denver.

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    That was quick, Donks must be hoping to get some inside info for next year.

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Oh what difference does it make?! We are doomed. We are going to be 8-8 forever and the rest of the West is only getting better!!!!

Good bye cruel world!

15. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Oakland assistant jumps to Denver

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

Don Martindale went from a potential head-coaching candidate in Oakland during the weekend to taking a job with the rival Denver Broncos. He has accepted a position on the defensive staff.

Martindale was said to be fiercely loyal to Raiders owner Al Davis. This could certainly challenge that relationship. Martindale interviewed with Oakland for several hours. ESPN's Michael Smith reported that it was for the head coaching job. The Raiders denied it was for that job. Sources said Martindale was frustrated by that development. He was in Denver to interview with new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels last week. Martindale decided to take the job Tuesday afternoon.

The hiring of Martindale completes the Broncos' defensive staff. He joins defensive line coach Wayne Nunnely. He left the Chargers on Monday. Ed Donatell joined the staff last week. He was Denver's secondary coach during its Super Bowl run last decade.

Tuesday afternoon, Denver announced the hiring of Nunnely, Donatell, offensive coordinator Mike McCoy, special teams coach Mike Priefer and receivers coach Adam Gase. All of those hires were made in the past several days, Martindale's hiring wasn't announced.

16. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    So we hired this guy?

[​IMG]

17. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,806
    Wish I could remember where I read the article about Rivera's "philosophy" that he wanted to put in place in Chicago but wasn't able to fully... it was really interesting. I imagine since these guys worked with Ron before he trusts them, they know how he likes things done and understand his methodology. The hires make good sense imo :icon_shrug:

Nunnley going to the Donks worries me a little bit... since he knows our personnel so well. It certainly looks like they are putting together a much more solid defensive staff. They could be trouble for us next year, which will only make beating them more enjoyable hehehe :tup:

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Nunnley has been here for like forever and I guess he did just want to move on
    Our staff has been this ridiculous hodgepodge of Schottenheimer, Cottrell and Rivera hires, so maybe we can get some uniformity

19. BajaBolt

BajaBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    My worry is that we're bringing in 2 more guys without much recent experience in the 3-4 defense.

I wonder if we'll be running a hybrid defense most of the year? Jamal is just one man, and if he goes down for any reason, our 3-4 base is in serious trouble.