1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivera's defense is catching on in camp

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    August 3, 2009 12:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

SAN DIEGO -- Even though Ron Rivera finished last season as the San Diego Chargers' defensive coordinator, this is an important time in his tenure with the team.

This is his first training camp as San Diego's defensive boss. With that in mind, this is the time that he is implementing his full scheme with the team. Rivera took over at the midway point last season after Ted Cottrell was fired.

The move to Rivera, who was San Diego's inside linebackers coach prior to being promoted, ignited San Diego's defense. It helped spur a late-season hot streak that resulted in San Diego winning the AFC West.

Rivera's first full season as defensive coordinator has centered on teaching and having his players concentrate on not making miscues. So far in camp it seems to be working. The Chargers' defense has looked strong and very confident.

It's a big difference," safety Eric Weddle said. "You see a lot less mistakes out there. He is really emphasizing that. We spend all day on getting it right. ... I think you'll see a better overall defense from the very start of the season."

2. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    San Diego rookie living in the fast lane

August 3, 2009 11:00 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

SAN DIEGO -- Vaughn Martin thought he had shaken the feeling of awe.
    But Sunday, during the San Diego Chargers' first training camp practice in full pads, it hit him again. He's a long way from collegiate Canadian football.

"I had one of those moments today," the enormous, but soft spoken defensive lineman said. "We went through some plays and I just couldn't believe how fast everyone is.

Everyone is just so fast at this level.

I knew I was at a different level after my first minicamp practice [a week after he was taken in the fourth round]. But today it hit me again. It's a very high level."

Still, Martin is more than holding his own. He is performing well and the game doesn't seem too big for him. If Martin continues to make strides, he will likely be part of the defensive line rotation this season.

It has been an amazing ride for Martin. He played at Western Ontario and he was born in Jamaica.

"From a broad scope, it is been crazy," Martin said. "But I can't look at it that way. I'm here and I feel I'm ready. I just have to keep learning every day."

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I hope Ron is our next HC if we turn this thing around and perform up to expectations.

:bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    You are a very smart man.

For such an old fart. :icon_tease:

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Norv will retire with his ring and Ron will take over. That's what I'd like to see.

• Like Like x 1
  6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    The defense does well this year and the chargers will win the super bowl this year. Then the problem is is to hang onto Rivera.

We loose Rivera and were sunk next year. It is so hard to find a really good d-coach. Personally i'd give Rivera the head coaching job and make norv second in command to possily hang onto Rivera. Be nice to hang onto both so we can keep this puppy running smoothly.

7. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Also titties. I'd like to see some of those.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Do you think Norv will show you his? :icon_rofl:

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I would expect that as head coach, Norv would get a lot of the credit, depending on how the offense performs, if we take the Lombardi. I don't see Norv going anywhere if we take all the marbles. I suspect we could keep Rivera here with a nice enough contract.

10. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    the trick is signing players next year - if we don't win it this year and don't resign Rivers, Shawne and Marcus, it won't matter who's coach

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    This could be the start of something amazing

12. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Ron Rivera's evolving defensive package is more apt to have DE Luis Castillo on the shoulder of an opposing blocker. "I'm not a 330-pound tackle, but now I can use technique and speed to execute certain plays," said the 285-pounder, whose sack and tackle-for-loss numbers were down last season.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    285? :icon_huh:

14. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    :yes: