1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Rivers and Chargers first game; what did people think?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Aug 12, 2006.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    This thread is devoted to opinions of the Packer game

Philip Rivers looked outstanding, he made throws that were better then similar throws made by Brees. Its one half, its one preseason game against a weak secondary but it was impressive still.

Vincent Jackson was incredibly impressive, just his size + his hands, he's going to be deadly. That TD first called back was not a big deal because he was very close to good foot placement, that was a lack of experience error.

Leander Jordan stunk whereas Marcus McNeil looked damned impressive

We have a very impressive corps of TEs besides Gates. Ryan Krause was finally healthy and made some solid catches, Manumaleuna dismantled previous opinions that he was a shrimp with great catches and power running.

Cromartie is again a feast or famine player but that's from a lack of experience. Give him experience and time with his talent and he's going to be special. But for now he'll get smacked around and then make good plays

Jammer looked like Jammer and that's not exactly positive

Kaeding's kickoffs looked good but Kurt Smith's KOs were better

Wilhelm and Cooper could start on this team tomorrow and we wouldn't miss a beat on ILB

2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    Philip looked like a veteran out there. Very poised in the pocket, and very accurate. Jordan did suck.

Can't comment on the 2nd half until I watch it.

BTW, I recorded the channel 8 news boradcast, and all they showed of the tailgate was Trumpie for a split second.

3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,355
    Rivers turned a lot of heads today. Nice passes, nothing looked "forced".

Jackson. Call him Action Jackson. Nice extension on the TD catch.

Secondary still needs some work.

Front 7 is a force.

4. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579
    After that first drive, all I could think about is the ride we are in for.

Remember that scene in "Contact" where the gazillionaire looks at Jodi Foster and says "Wanna take a ride?" That is what we Charger Fans are going on this year. A ride of a lifetime.

It is going to be a special year. Every bit of me knows this, barring injuries.

5. compubolt

compubolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +186
    He had a great pressence in the pocket, I just saw the pass play where a packer grabs rivers jersey as rivers steps up into the pocket and hits the deep come back.

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,190
    It sounded like Rivers had a great game. But guys, its one preseason game. Lets see what happens when its real.

7. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    I think that Jordan played better than most people think. He did get abused by KGB on the sack but held his own more often than not.

No one seems to take into account that we rarely if ever give our LT any help. Jordan one one one versus the likes of KGB will give up some plays, that's just a fact.

A lot of teams would have a TE or RB chip the DE but we don't.

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Hey goober! I did not say that Philip wasnt great last night! I think he did really well. But LET US NOT JUDGE THE OUTCOME OF OUR UPCOMMING SEASON OFF OF THE FIRST PRESEASON GAME!

People are writing us into the superbowl already. I hope it happens, and I hope Rivers is a first year starter to pley in the superbowl. But I am not going to anoint him the suma come snooty off of one preseason game.

If he played poorly everyone would be saying 'It doesnt matter its just preseason.' They would be correct. Lets see him shine in a real game. He can do it, lets see it before we say this is going to be a season for the record books, shall we?

Or do all you lemmings want to jump the gun?

9. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    How is this different from the guys who still have a ***** about Cleo Lemon because of a great quarter and a half in last years preseason?:icon_banana: :icon_rofl: :icon_tease:

Would you have rather had him stink it up? He could not have played better. He didn't make a bad decision or a poor throw all night. That's a very good thing.

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Absolutly! But man, dont get so high with predicitons and expectations. Teams dont play the same game in preseason they play in regular season.

I am excitied about Rivers, I just am not going to judge him based on one EXCELLENT game played in preseason.

I will say this, the happy feet and the passes straight to the ground we saw in last years preseason appear to be gone, and with them 90% of my fears about Rivers!:tup:

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    The stupidity of this statement is breath taking. Simply assinine. Sorry bro... Stupid, really...:no:

You show me ONE person who judged our season based on one game by Cleo last year. One.... I am waiting... One please... Cant do it? No you cant.

Show me where I said any of the following, or keep the peace:
    1) he made a bad decision
    2) he made a poor throw
    3) he could have played better

As you try and indicate I did.

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190

Goober, I am on it. Read the damn posts. I am just not saying that Rivers is going to take us to the promissed land based on one preseason game.

If I was messing my jeans the way lots of you are over last nights game, and he doesnt maintain that level of performance in real games I would beging to think much less of him. I expect if he struggles many of you born again Rivers fans will turn on him like a rabid 0pack of wolves ( or wolf pack... ). I wont do that because I am letting him earn his reputation, not just anointing him with what I want him to be.

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    This is a good thing! I like what I saw on the clips, and heard on the net last night! I really did.

14. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    A) Did you even watch the game

B) TrumpetMan. There is actually a thread in here where people are still talking about how good Lemon is based almost entirely on one game where he shined last preseason.

C) You are being a turd in the punchbowl. People are excited from what they saw from by far the biggest question mark entiring this preseason. Granted it doesn't reflect what he will actually do once the games count, but if he had stunk there would have been a thousand people in here crucifying him. Why aren't you standing up for Feeley since even though he sucked it doesn't mean anything because performance in the preseason in no way indicates how you will play in the regular season? If you need to reserve your judgement that's fine and I respect that, but why dampen the enthusiasm of others?

D) I wasn't saying that you refuted any of the things that I said about Philip's performance, which was close to perfect. I'm just saying that it should count for something, especially when it does when he didn't perform well. That seems like an unfair standard; bad preseason play counts but excellent ones don't.

btw- who peed in your Cheerios this morning?

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    And dont you talk to me about having a hard time saying someone is good!

Cromarty is my boy now, will make an impact this season! How hard do you think that was for me to say, especially with Eldwin lurking...:lol:

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    As i am sure you are aware of, I listend tot he game on the net, saw clips on the net and in the news. Did you watch the game?

T-Bone said that Lemon outplayed both QBs. That is NOT judging a season based on one preseason game.

I am excited to. If he stunk it up people would be saying it didnt matter its preseason, lets see what he does when it is for real. They would be correct. Whats your malfunction on this? Dampen enthusasm? I had thought more of you. You let one person's opinion or statements drive your thoughts and opinions? I am sorry.

Exactly how is say "He looked good, but lets not put ourselves in the ****ing superbowl based on one preseason game." dampening anything?! You want to take that as a knock against Rivers excellent perdformance, go ahead, but that is assinine.

I does count for something AS I HAVE POSTED! he has aleviated much of my personal fear and I am estatic about it. I want to see him do that against Pittsburgh! Against Baltimore! Against the best the NFC has to offer. You think Green Bay, in the first preseason game is going to match any of those defensive units?! I dont! I want to see him thrive in that. The game last night is just a warm up. I am not going to judge the teams outcome off of it. Sorry you dont like it.

The people who try and make simple statements into things they are not!:icon_evil:

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    PLEASE DO!

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Hey *** clown. Show me where I said Rivers had a bad performance. You and SDC needs to take a ****ing reading retention class!

19. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820

Ya-Hot-Azee!!!