1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Rivers and Chargers first game; what did people think?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Aug 12, 2006.

1. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    Mike Goff is good for 1 or 2 penalties a game and Leander shiits his pants on 3rd downs which makes him really uncomfortable when he's set so he has to wiggle a bit :icon_shrug:

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Now for the negative.

1. Too many stupid penalties. That **** has to stop now. I think I remember 5-7 penalties in the first half alone.

2. Leander Jordan is going to get Rivers killed. He flat out got beat when Rivers got sacked.

3. McNeil - He almost got Feeley killed by wiffing on his pass protection and admitted it by thumping his chest toward the QB who got pawed by the defender. The positives with McNeil was he was super effective at getting to the second and third levels. He was 20 yards downfield on one running play engaging the defense.

4. Feeley sucks. Whitehurst needs to win this battle as does McNeil at left tackle.

5. Special teams - The muffed onside kick irked me. The ball hit the defender squarely in the chest. Steve Crosby needs to be FIRED !!!!!!

3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Here's one play that illustrated how much I am impressed by Rivers' growth, especially from last year.

It's not the passes he threw, but this one minute thing.

On the long drive he had, where Michael Turner capped it with that TD run, I came to focus on Rivers on that final play.

When they broke huddle, Rivers barked an order at TE Manu on where to line up and I think even who to block. Manu lined up on the right side.

Turner received the handoff, went to the right, and went through the crease that was opened up by his blockers, which included Manu. Touchdown 12 yards later.

Rivers has that much control of the offense and his fellow players, and they listen to him like he's an 8 year Pro Bowl veteran.

That's what impressed me just as much as the excellent passes and ball location he possessed last night.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,229
    I am havin a fresh watermelon shake from cookouts, and it is the yummies, as some would say!

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,229
    What about my boi Cro?!:icon_mrgreen:

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    You and Shamrock and Thumper have perfected the art of **** stirring. :lol:

7. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Weak secondary?
    Green Bay was #1 against the pass last year giving up only 167 yards in the air...believe it or not.

Krause is on the bubble.

As ive always said...Jordan is NOT a LT.

My Man Rivers did very well . I dont expect a drop off at all this year at QB.

8. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Eldwin had mentioned the SS play of Kiel on one pass as lacking but over all the secondary looked like they were flying to the ball. McCree was a noticible upgrade over Bow wow Jue. I did not see many what I perceive to be missed assignments last night.

The cornerbacks looked impressive.

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    My beef last year was Rivers footwork and his ring rust. It took him too long to get in his game.

I suspect a combination of experience working with the first unit and the tutelage of John Ramsdell has been the ticket. I have not heard Rivers mention Ramsdell but Rivers game is much smoother out of the chute......

This is the year we rip the league a new cacahole !!!

10. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Its early and preseason....but i told you so :icon_mrgreen:

When the season starts wil be a beter indicator but i dont see him being worse than Drew. No drop off expected here.

Completely agree 100%...Charlie has potentual but neither he or Feeley looked good.

Agree again :icon_razz:

Jordan stinks at LT

11. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The second and third stringers in the secondary sucked asssss bad for the Chargers........

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I did not get that "nervous" feeling Rivers needed a series or two to come out firing on all cylinders.

Cam Cameron did an excellent job. He knows Rivers can hand off a damn ball so he tested his arm and mettle. Right fuggin on.

Rivers was very active on the sidelines that me and SDRON noticed him jawing alot.........even when the kickoff team huddled....Rivers was there.......You do not see that often or at all in the NFL.

13. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    They showed it on TV. Rivers was talking to quite a few people offering his analysis and such.

14. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Good.

I have not seen any replays of the game but Rivers was every where......

When he was in a special teams huddle, my initial reaction was he was "overdoing it" and it may lead to resentment but then again - it may be a trend setting type of thing that is cool.....

15. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I actually stirred real **** once. Poured diesel and mogas on it and watched it burn.

Looked and smelled just like RMANCIL's BBQ.

16. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    [​IMG]

:guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns:

17. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Leadership.

The players keep talking about that quality in Rivers, and he keeps showing it to us.

McRugs posted an article (can't find right now) about Rivers leadership in the Donkey game, where PR gave a hand signal to Gates to adjust a route. That was Rivers first play. The play didn't succeed, but it showed the "it" factor PR possesses.

18. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Huh? :lol:

19. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I had a deja vu last night with a Morganna look alike. SanDiegoRon pointed her out as she was coming up the steps and was totally WASTED.

She fell on her butt once and I think set off a few seismographs with her jiggle alone. :icon_mrgreen:

She fell right next to me on one knee and braced herself one the railing and almost went all the way down. As she was falling the second time, I jumped into the aisle to catch her right arm and help steady her. She looked over and as drunk as anyone could say "oh thanks sweetie you are so kind" and then stumbled to her seat. I am thinking "just do not kiss me" because everyone in that section knows me and Ms. Trumpie (who did not attend).

30 minutes after this happened, the guy sitting next to SDRon says "hey it looks like your girlfriend passed out" which she did .... too funny.

SDRON said you would have appreciated the deja vu as well. :icon_mrgreen:

20. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Rivers said in one article that he's better at his ball position in the set.

When we drafted him and got looks from the first mini camp, my contention was that when Rivers had proper ball position in the set, his footwork also improved. When those two factors are in order, then the ball comes out higher on his release.

Basic fundamentals of the position. It's not about relearning it, just about cleaning it up through repetition and practice.