1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Rivers and Chargers first game; what did people think?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Aug 12, 2006.

1. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475
    Rivers was very solid. He got sacked, took some hits, had a guy or two drop a ball or not get their feet in. He just shrugged it off and kept them marching. And they were obviously testing him as they called about 70%-30% throwing plays over running. He played that 111 qb rating to a tee.

Feely needs to be cut. Sign another veteran QB to back up Rivers. If that guy bounces another pass into an open receiver, I;m gonna go out on the field, kick his ***, and take snaps myself.

Whitehurst is raw, but damn that kid can throw the ball. Very impressed. He will be #3 this year but with #2 talent, maybe #1 for another team in a year or two.

Starting receivers were great. Keenan was, well Keenan. Crafty and elusive. Eric was resting so VJ and Kassim got in right away. VJ is a beast and it didnt matter who was covering him, it was a mismatch. Kassim was great on special teams, still trying to make some of the tough catches but not quite there yet. The rookies were off and on. Warren caught a couple but dropped a couple too. Ortiz got one. Good kid. Camarillo had the nice special teams stop and that may be the only way he makes the team.

TE's! Damn if we don't have the best TE group in football now. Gates was awesome in his limited play. Manu is not our new Pupunu. From what I saw out there, he is way better then Pupunu ever was. He will make us a bunch of first downs this year. Krause looked great in extended play, even when he tripped himself. Pushing for us to keep 4 guys at TE.

Turner was good. Run blocking still needs a little work. He was solid. On his TD Pinnock made a great block, but otherwise, there is a major drop off when Neal is not in. Perkins did well. LT and Neal looked comfy on the sidelines not getting hit. Sproles getting smacked does not look good.

O-Line was good for the most part although Goff did pull that one penalty. Leander held his own for most of the game but was beaten for the sack badly and had Rivers get forced up in the pocket a couple of times. McNeill was a monster out there and I think we may just need to bite the bullet and let him start.

D-line was great. Jamal is the best D lineman in the game today. He is just too much for most teams to take. Igor and Luis looked excellent. Cesaire looked really good as well, and believe it or not, Bingham turned in a pretty good game.

LB's? Do I even have to say it. Merriman was in the backfield on most plays even without a very attacking D called. Foley was strong although they did not cut him loose very often. Coooper and Wilhelm could easily be the starters right now and will be next year. Phillips is too fast for his own good and he is gonna be stellar this year. Dobbins was monstrous. That guy just flies at people and smacks the crap out of them. Rodgers is still feeling the hit when he didnt hook slide soon enough.

CB's were just OK. They covered fairly well except for the double move that confused Cromartie. Jammer got the flag he deserved on the long ball, but GB raped Kassim regularly and got called for nothing. Florence looked good.

McRee looked strong. Always around the ball. Kiel put in some solid hits

Scifres was good except for the one he kinda bobble kicked for 44. The 59 yarder was huge and the coverage teams were outstanding.

Kaeding was solid with kicks to the 5 and 7. Field goal was right on

Kurt Smith was as advertised with 2 kicks into the endzone.

Cletis Gordon did a solid job of kick returns once Sproles left, but never got a chance to field a punt because they were terrible kicks.

Very promising start.

2. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Maybe it's just my term - or how I learned it. I was a free safety in high school and our DB coach (former SDSU CB) called it that.

When a QB reaches the end of his drop and has the ball properly located close and near his shoulder. Feet in proper position and ready to throw. I've always called that the "set" ...

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Please somebody YOUTUBE Dobbins sack..

He flat out abused the left tackle and put him down on his assss....that was beautiful........:tup:

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The dangler..... :icon_mrgreen:

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I noticed this as well. He was not choppy or jittery in his drop backs. Rivers bounced alot in his drop backs and it should be smooth as a babies asss like last night....

His play action fakes were indeed 100% difference in the "sell department" versus Brees. Big time.

6. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    One vid link from last year showed Brian Schotty working on Rivers footwork and ball position. I think it's just repetition and more reinforcement from Ramsdell.

PR does revert to some bad habits, especially when the first read isn't there, or when on the move. But, like Kosar, sometimes good things come out of that weird style. Still, I do like seeing evidence of improvement from coaching. That's a GOOD thing !!!

7. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Twas the OG #62

8. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Damn it was the guard....cool.....I want to see that play again. He flat out hand punched the dude right on his asss.....I mean it was classic.

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Anyone YouTube the game yet?

• Like Like x 1
  10. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    They got to fix the LT position. :icon_shrug: wtf!!!

aj feely - cut him.

VJ + Gates + M3 + LT - how do u stop the chargers in the gold zone.

McCree is good - we need another safety.

Were they giving our LT some help by leaving an extra blocker on the left side?

Send Donnie packing.

was he playing like a pro - was he leading his wrs and the defense could figure out where rivers wanted to go?

I dont know whether we r complete homers but this team looks way solid.

11. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Radio or TV?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
  13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,641
    it was beautiful

btw did you guys notice something with McNeil's play? I saw twice that he actually out ran or overran the play; probably from his instruction into defending a 3-4 he gave the DL a tap out of the way and then went charging against anyone on the second level. Kinda funny but someone really needs to tell him to finish his blocks before the second level.

14. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    McNeil needs to learn to help at the point of attack. He did release early and did not recognize some of the coverages which resulted in little to no gain for the runner.

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,641
    that i wholeheartedly agree on
    besides the next two weeks he'd match up against two teams with tough front fours so it would be very interesting indeed.
    McNeil is obviously still learning but there have been a few tackles to make impact at LT immediately. Here's hoping he's one of them

• Like Like x 1
  16. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Dont you dare start into the 'I hate PR' poopy with me today!:icon_evil: :icon_mrgreen:

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Ahem... This is the Chargers thread...

:icon_evil: :icon_mrgreen:

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    That ESPN sideline lady looks more scary each year!

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Dont ever talk to me about your panties again...

EVER!!!

:puke:

21. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    True dat. :icon_banana: :tup: