1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers and Gates Top 100

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Joy Division, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
  2. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    yea when i saw the preview sayin 2 bolts were up next I only wondered which order would PR and 85 be called. I counted 4 one handed catches in those highlights. Not bad Gatesy.

3. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    NFL.com news: Gates more valuable than Rivers? Not a chance, say the experts

I was in the mood to watch the 1 hand wonder reel again, then I saw the Writer comments at the bottom and at first I was like O HELL YEA to what Canfora was sayin. Then I kept reading and saw he is brainless and doesnt factor in that Just because gates may only get 10-13 catches a game HE is deffinatly making PRs job ezier on every single snap that he takes....

-----------------------------------------Canfora \/
    Franchise QB over a dangerous TE any day
    This is a subjective business here, trying to compare players from different positions into one homogeneous list, but I can't put a tight end -- pretty much any tight end -- ahead of a quarterback of Rivers' ability. He is the man in San Diego. He is a top-five quarterback with everything but the ring to show for it.

Rivers is a fulcrum of an offensive machine with his hands on the ball 50, 60 snaps per game; Gates on his best day might do it 12 times. Rivers puts everyone in position to succeed, and Gates' production would surely suffer some with a lesser player throwing him the ball.

Gates might go down as the greatest tight end ever, better than former Charger Kellen Winslow. And Rivers might eclipse all that Dan Fouts did in San Diego when Fouts was playing with Winslow.

But I'll take a franchise quarterback like Rivers over even a tight end as accomplished and dangerous as Gates. It's a function of the overall impact of their positions.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    I would say AG over PR is fair assesment. Also dont think he realizes how many toe or ankle injuries gates has played right on thorugh (post season included) just the same as the MAN of Steel 17.

Still lookin for anyone that can shop together a Superman logo with the 17 rather than the S...

4. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Charles Davis
    NFL Network

Rivers is the life of the offense
    Rivers is ranked four slots lower than Gates, but I don't believe that he's less vital to the Chargers' success. In my opinion, he's more vital. Yes, there is a symbiotic relationship between one of the elite tight ends in the league and one of the elite quarterbacks, but when it's all measured, the Chargers' best chances lie with Rivers at quarterback first. Consider how San Diego stayed in the playoff picture all last year despite horrific special teams plays and a revolving set of pass catchers. The common denominator? Rivers.

I think Charles comment puts me more in the general mold of thinking. PR is more vital to our team now and for the long haul than Gates, tho gates will still be here for that long haul if we have our ways. My other counter to all these analists SUPER 17 love is they are thinking only of what PR does for the team vs what AG brings. I dont know if they have been watching the same top 100 list as me, but I can clearly see bias and player favorites. I can also tell you I know that this voting system is skewed. Not all players were polled, and not even all the players that they brought into studio to talk about their favorite other player had anything to do with the voting. I forget who came out and said it... Lamar Woodly maybe...

In any case I hope the NFL/players do another top 100 list of this ...... ONLY can we this time either go with OF 2012 season popularity, or UNANIMOUS decision amonge ALL starters... Wouldnt be hard for the NFL to still sneak in some of their Media Darlings that didnt do much to be even in a top list in the year they are assesing.

ALSO all those 1 handers by gates thye werent all in 2010. Been seeing that over and over too on the list. Alot of SWEET cut together highlights of alot of players you wouldnt see unless it was for that 23rd camera focused directly on them for the Coaches film studies.

AND for as far as where PR is, imo the bigger crock is that they *the players/NFL* still think 5 other QBs are better. IMO and ill be honest, PR is 4 or 5th in the league and rising fast.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I love Gates, but we could (and have) survived w/o him. PR? Yeah, he's a necessity.

6. SDC-IL

SDC-IL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    What they should have done is a Top 10 list for each position. That would've been a lot easier.

7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    but if you look at it from the other end, we did not really do anything when Gates toe was hurt.

8. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    The show is "Top 100 Players of 2011" but too many idiot players voted for guys based on their body of work. Top 100 players OF 2011. Who are the players who are going to be the best THIS COMING season? Too many players who probably won't be one of the Top 100 in 2011 made it because that have had great careers. I wouldn't be surprised if Philip didn't finish higher just because of the perception some still have of him from past incidents.

9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    till he hoists the Lombardi, he will be judged just the same way as he always has.