1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers basically says "get off my sack"

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20071116-9999-1s16chargers.html

Chargers' Rivers is off target, undeterred

By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

November 16, 2007

He is neither hurt nor throwing differently, neither confused nor without confidence, neither overloaded nor overly hyped.
    Neither is he Joe Montana, Brett Favre or Peyton Manning.

No, by some measures, Philip Rivers is better than those three at a similar stage in their careers.

While Rivers takes fire from seemingly everywhere, it should be noted that through 25 starts, his passer rating, touchdown-to-interception ratio and win-loss record are better than any of those three – Montana a Hall of Famer and Favre and Manning headed there.

HOWARD LIPIN / Union-Tribune

Through nine games, 20 QBs have a better passer rating than Philip R ivers' 77.9.
    Without a doubt, Rivers is struggling.
    Over the past two games, he is 32-for-66 for 301 yards with three interceptions and no touchdowns. In six games this season, Rivers has had a passer rating below 75.0, a mark he bettered in all but two games in 2006. Through nine games, 20 quarterbacks have a better passer rating than his 77.9, a number so low due to his having been intercepted as many times as he has thrown a touchdown pass (10). And where he was the league's top fourth-quarter passer last season, he ranks 41st this year with a 47.2 rating.

“I'm by no means playing the way I want to play,” Rivers said yesterday.

While it sure seems to have rocked San Diegans, at least one former NFL quarterback, a Super Bowl MVP, believes this is not that big a deal.

“It's the life of an NFL quarterback,” said Phil Simms, a CBS analyst who makes it his business to watch every QB in the league. “You're going to struggle. The light is going to go on and off. What is it? It's always a little bit of everything. It's never black and white.”

That certainly is the truth with Rivers.

For the purpose of this article, there will be only a passing mention of repeated protection breakdowns on the offensive line and the fact penalties and dropped passes have plagued the Chargers at key times.

This is about Rivers.

So what's up with him?

Two former NFL quarterbacks said this week when they watch Rivers they think he is hurt based on his being off-target so much, especially deep.

“That's crazy,” Rivers said. “That's not true.”

Many have speculated his mechanics are off. Such an observation would seemingly take a team of “CSI” detectives to determine, since his delivery has always been wacky.

Rivers said he is throwing with the same motion – “unless I don't know it.” As for those too-busy feet of his, he struggled at times last year staying set in the pocket as well.

Perhaps you have noticed – he's pretty hyper.

That, too, has been proffered as a reason for his struggles. Rivers can often be seen in the face of an official, arms flapping, jaw wagging. He also gets angry at himself and doesn't try to hide it.

“I want everything to be so good,” he said. “It can be good. It can work against you.”

Asked if he has been too emotional this season, he said, “I don't think so. I was way worse last year.”

There also is the general assumption his confidence is shot, an idea refuted by the fact he has had strong stretches – both in parts of games and for entire games. He had a career-high passer rating of 154.1 at Denver and completed 27-of-36 for 306 yards and three touchdowns at Green Bay. Even against Indianapolis on Sunday, he completed 11 of his 13 passes in the second and third quarters. He still makes more difficult throws than he does bad ones.

Also, hearing him talk is like listening to Drew Brees back before things got golden in 2004. They both drip confidence in all situations.

“There's no question I'm better than I was last year,” Rivers said.

Before anyone snickers, consider a quote from Brees in 2004, when the Chargers were 1-2 and Brees had just gone 14-for-29 for 121 yards against Denver. Broncos defenders acknowledged focusing on LaDainian Tomlinson and daring Brees to beat them. In response, Brees said: “Shoot, that makes me feel good, because I know that I'm going to light them up.” :icon_eek::lol:

Said Rivers of his struggles: “It's not really in my head. It's not like I can't make a read or I'm getting fooled on coverage and things like that. It's just a couple poor decisions . . . I'm as positive as ever. I know everything that is happening is correctable.”

While those on the outside and some on the inside are pushing for the Chargers to run more, it has always been Norv Turner's contention that the Chargers need to be capable of winning a game passing the ball to succeed in the postseason.

Rivers accepts that reality. Turner has asked him to do more this season than Rivers did in last year's LT-centric offense.

“Sure,” Rivers said. “But that's part of growing up. That's part of an ascending career. Each game you play, you learn more, you get better.”

He'll take the victories, however they come, at this point. But he is not satisfied.

“You can win games, you can battle with inconsistent play,” he said. “But ultimately I understand I've got to play better for us to get where we want to go.”

So there. Rivers gets it for the naysayers. Basically he is telling you haters to get off his sack. You know who you are. :yes:

2. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
  3. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    Didn't you start a thread earlier this year saying he should be benched??:icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I still say start Volek but Rivers has the best attitude

5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Rivers will play his way through this. What this offense lacks is rhythm, and that's what' QBs thrive on. We have two good plays followed by a bad one. We need to be more consistent.

Rivers will be fine. He's had some bad stretches this year, but he's also has some good ones. I have every confidence that he will turn it around. I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

6. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I had asked at what point does Rivers get benched but not that he needed to be benched. It was the first time that thought had flashed my mind and the usual pirahnas came out when I speculated a "what if"

Dude does not need a benching and if it is done it is out of tough love. He needs to be smarter with the rock and protect that biitch.

What I am waiting to hear from Rivers is that the game has slowed down for him. He has not said that yet. When I hear him say the game has slowed down, I will get uncontrollable mass wood and so should the rest of the fans. At that point, it is truly lights out. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  7. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Rivers will be fine. I'm expecting a 25/30 275 yard 3 TD game this weekend.

But if he does struggle in the 1st half and the game is still winnable, we got to sit him down and go with Volek.

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    where does he say Get OFF his sack???

:icon_huh:

:icon_tease::icon_tease::icon_tease:

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If Rivers has a ****** outing and we are down 3 TD's going into the 4th quarter, then I would turn to Volek but ONLY if Rivers is just not cutting the mustard.

We have to give him every opportunity to bounce back but if he is out of whack going into the 4th, get the hook.

PS....fu leisure. :lol:

10. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I think Ryan Leaf told people to get off his sack also. :icon_eek:

11. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    The more I think about it the more I want this guy to stay in the game. I love his attitude. He takes the hits in the media and is willing to take the blame. Something Leaf and other QBs in this organization weren't willing to do.

Having said this, he needs to stop trying to read the defense at the line of scrimmage before the ball is hiked. He needs to go through his progressions. He missed a lot of wide open receivers in last week's game. Also, the RBs (including Tomlinson) need to help him out while he struggles through this stretch. Not turning your head or Turner not making that easy dump off pass catch just hurts everyone's confidence on the offensive side of the ball. He is going to go to the check down play. Most young QBs do..

• Like Like x 1
  12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    does he even have one? :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  13. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Yeah, I believe Ryan was asking people to stay off of his labia.

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Great article.
    It hints at the idea the Rivers will be great a great QB someday, and he'll be great in the playoffs if we get there.

But at the same time, we still have to get there, and going away from our strength in LT isn't the way to win games. I also think its more than just Rivers having an offseason, I think Norv is a horrible motivator and he sometimes looks completely confused on the sideline (like during his challenges) and our O-line is also underperforming.

• Like Like x 2
  15. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    I have a feeling it'll finally come together for Rivers this weekend.

16. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    The path of the Chosen One is not a straight line, its a journey !!! :bolt:

17. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    BTW, I got my authentic white Rivers jersey this week and will sport it for some positive mojo this weekend!!!

18. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    You should make that an all day event for us here, webcam and all.:abq1:

19. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    I for one, don't need to see Trumpies "wood":no:

20. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    The game has not slowed down for him yet because not only have we changed playbooks, it's also a much bigger playbook.

He had probably gotten a pretty good grip on Cam's system, which was a relatively simpler offense that came out of the I base formation. Now he's adapting to a much larger playbook coming out of three formations - the singleback and the shotgun in addition to the I - and without his most dependable wide reciever in Eric Parker to boot. Yeah, the terminology, route numbers, etc, are the same, but that's a doozy for a second year starter to deal with.

If Cam were still here, the game would have slowed down for him by now, and he'd likely be in Pro Bowl form.

We're just waiting for the light to go on for him concerning Norv's complicated attack. It may happen tomorrow, it may happen next year - who knows. That's what happens when you change coaches. But when it does, I agree with Trumpy - it will be a sight to behold and we would be able to build the Ark from all the wood around here. :yes: :bolt:

Disclaimer: Assuming he can stop fumbling snaps. :icon_tease:

21. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    As I feared, he is clueless about how bad he is playing. Has no clue how bad his mechanics are right now. Ugh.

Bench the ******.

Give him 1000 practice snaps on the sidelines during the game with David Binn as penance. Binn needs the practice too if Withrow gets hurt.

22. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You seem to be the one without a clue. I'm sure Rivers has a far better understanding of his struggles than you. Above all, Rivers wants to be a successful NFL QB, and he's going to put everything he has into it. I'm sure things will turn around for him. It's a matter of if, not when.

23. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Where is eldwin with the fabulous Rivers pictures?

24. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Please don't waste your pompous drivel on my expense. Save it or someone that gives a shiat about what you have to say.

25. PhilipRivers#1

Ratings:
    +464
  26. PhilipRivers#1

Ratings:
    +464