1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers Best QB in NFL Right Now? MVP?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by NORV4LIFE, Oct 18, 2009.

?

Who is The Best NFL QB exluding Peyton Manning?

1. Philip Rivers

12 vote(s)
    41.4%
  2. Drew Brees

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  3. Tom Brady

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Eli Manning

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Big Ben

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Excluding Peyton Manning who WILL go down as the greatest QB EVER in terms of individual ability and performance, who do you think is the best QB in the NFL right now and will be in the next couple of years?

Philip Riveers:bolt:
    Drew Brees
    Tom Brady:icon_rofl::tdown:
    Big Ben
    Eli Manning

All these QB have shown considerable performance this year and excellent command of their team. However every QB but Rivers has had a team around them that performs great and a strong O line and at least good defense. I feel that Rivers has played the best, especially considering his circumstances! He has tons of yars, lots of huge play, decent passer rating, and a fair amount of TDs. All this despite the fact that he has barely had time to throw because of his O line and everyone knows he is gonna throw because of poor running game. Considering all of this his performance is probably the best in the NFL this year. Even with a poor receiving core other than Jackson and Gates, Rivers can gun the ball like no one else right now. He has also been the most important to his team and strived on it. Every other QB has been under little pressure compared to him because they're defense takes alot of weight off of them and they at least have a decent o line and or running game. No other QB has put their team in the position to win like rivers. He Pulverized to of the league's great d's putting his team in a position to win in their losses so far. If Rivers had better receivers like the patriots in 07, and or an oline I think he'd have a record setting year and one of the best in QB history. All this said, no one has done more themselves and no one has been more valuable to their team than Rivers out of the group listed and maybe even including Peyton Manning this year. That said, other than Peyton Manning I think Rivers is easily the best QB in the NFL right now and an up and coming future Hall of famer if he continues to play this way!

HIS Importance to his team and his amazing success so many factors working against him make him I think the best MVP candidate. No one other than Peyton comes close!

Weigh in!

O yeh forgot, here is a breakdown of QB's Trent Dilfer Did, if that helps you make an easier decision...

He lists Peyton Manning on The TOp with Brady close Behind. Brees and Rivers are just Behind. However that was at the start of the season... Rivers and Brees have showed they are on that top tier since then and Brady has regressed a little. Now Its easily close Between the 3...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview09/columns/story?columnist=dilfer_trent&id=4436281

2. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    O yeh forgot, here is a breakdown of QB's Trent Dilfer Did, if that helps you make an easier decision...

He lists Peyton Manning on The TOp with Brady close Behind. Brees and Rivers are just Behind. However that was at the start of the season... Rivers and Brees have showed they are on that top tier since then and Brady has regressed a little. Now Its easily close Between the 3...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview09/columns/story?columnist=dilfer_trent&id=4436281

3. NatroneMeansBusiness

NatroneMeansBusiness BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Take off the Chargers glasses for one second dude...Tom Brady is a legend a sure fire HOF player. I have loved the Chargers my entire life but in terms of QB ability right now it is Peyton Manning followed very closely by Tom Brady and then you can argue for who you want for number 3 whether that is Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, Big Ben etc.

I love Philip Rivers just as much as you do, he is one of my favorite Chargers players of all time but I'm just being realistic here.

4. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Brady had a pretty nice day today. 6 TD passes.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    Rivers is a close #4

Peyton Manning
    Drew Brees
    Tom Brady
    Philip Rivers

6. NatroneMeansBusiness

NatroneMeansBusiness BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Wow somebody drank some modest beer today :icon_tease:....Brady had an f'ing epic day today....Granted Tennessee sucks but Brady and company just trounced them before the 1st Qrtr even. I was surprised he set foot on the field in the 3rd

7. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58

I know Brady has been one of the most winning and successful QB's ever no doubt and future HOF. He did well today 4 sure. The thing is he didn't put up numbers that were all that good until he got a ridiculous receiving core around him. In the playoffs and Superbowl he did help with game winning drives but they always barely squeeked by. He has only done as well as he has because of defense and Great receivers. Great sytem He is a system QB like Kurt Warner in STL and Now ATL. Warner did great when he was surrounded by future HOFers like HOLT and Bruce and Marshall Faulk... He has done great with insane receivers lik Fitzgerald and Boldin. When he had mediocre teammates like in NY though or even just good like later in STL he didn't do so well. Same with Brady. Anyone could put up numbers like Warner did in STL or Ariz or Brady in 07. Some pple like Peyton could easily put up better numbers I bet. Brady is good and a WINNER but his team has as much to do with it as him. Manning on the other hand has been the one constant in IND. He has had good receivers but now even with guys no one new about before this year he is still as good. that is a true great QB. Brady just isn't quite that good. That's why I put him on the brees Rivers level. Im talking as a QB individually, not considering winning which has alot to do with your team and coaching. Rivers might be a multi time superbowl champ too if his team hadn't had injuries and they had better playoff coaching...

8. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    I'm pretty pissed. The one week he did my fantasy team played the team that had BRADY!! I had a good day, Big ben got lots of points and I had a good day on the ground and receivers... I had only one loss which came by 2 pts like 114 to 112 the first week and lead my league. Despite scoring over 100 pts without Jackson Sproles and Kaeding who are playing tomorrow I am down like 40 pts cuz of Brady. Its like Bellicheck kept him in to ruin my game!

9. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Slacker! :icon_tease:

10. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Stop. Just stop before you embarrass yourself even more. I hate Brady and the Pats as much as anyone but if you say that he's not as good as Rivers cuz he has a better team around him you're retarded. The number of wins, records, and Superbowl wins don't lie. You think Brady has regressed after having 380 yards and 6 TDs in a little over a half? You really need to be ***** slapped by reality and come back from your fantasy world. How can you say that "no other quarterback has put their team in the best position to win than Rivers"? Brady has 3 superbowls, Peyton has 1, Ben has 2, Rivers has 0. It seems to me that the other QBs are putting their teams in damn good positions especially when each of those teams are contenders each and every year, whereas the Chargers rely on a Denver meltdown to get to .500 and win the division(I'm not discrediting the 4 games in a row they won, but still). Looking at things objectively is good for you, stop being a Rivers fanboy before you spout all of this nonsensical garbage.

/facepalm

11. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58

I don't care about Brady's record. That doesn't judge him as a qb. Obviously he had a part in that but you can't attribute it to him. He barely one those championships. He always one by small Margins for the most part until the 07 year and it was always his defense that saved his ***. It used to be great. He's a good quarter back for sure but come on. John Elway was a great quarterback too. Even so just because he had more playoff success and won two superbowls that doesn't Mean you can say he was better than Marino who was just in an entirely different league. I'm not saying rivers is THERE at all... I'm just trying to say you can't judge quarter back performance by winning. Look at Rivers in Baltimore. He played a brilliant game but still couldn't pull off the win because of the Defense and Norv's botched play calling at the end of the game!

• Like Like x 1
  12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Concur completely. Brady, Peyton, Rivers, Brees imo......:yes:

13. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    Right now I'd say Brees > Rivers, even if not by much.

Brees is my vote for MVP at this point of the season.

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Yeah, great job padding stats and humilating a team that was already 0-5.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    1) Manning
    2) Brady
    3) Brees (need to see him succeed in the playoffs)
    4) Rivers
    5) Ben

16. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Brady>Manning? WTF. PEyton manning is the most prolific quaterback in the history of the NFL. He may only have 1 sb win but he and his team hve been argueably the most consitent winning team ever. Every year they are usually 12=4 or better. Only the niners went 10=6 or better for more years in a row.!

17. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    If Rivers had just SOME more protection, he'd be ahead by many votes.