1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers: Chargers can’t get comfortable with win

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by ChargerRay, Nov 1, 2010.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    Source: Associated Press

SAN DIEGO - After the San Diego Chargers got the victory they needed so badly, quarterback Philip Rivers cautioned to keep it in perspective.

"All it did now was get us to 3-5," Rivers said Monday, a day after he helped rally the Chargers to a 33-25 victory against the Tennessee Titans. "It was nice to feel what it feels like to win again. It was rough."

Sunday's victory was preceded by a three-game losing streak filled with blunders and turnovers. The Chargers play at Houston on Sunday, when they'll try to get consecutive wins for the first time this season.

"With the approach we had last week and the preparation, if we can duplicate that this week, and try to go win another game, then we get to the bye," Rivers said. "And obviously it won't be where we wish we were or we had planned to be at the bye, but certainly we'll be headed in the right direction."

The Chargers are third in the AFC West, 2½ games behind the Kansas City Chiefs. San Diego has won the past four division titles.

The players widely credited the win to coach Norv Turner's emotional halftime speech.

Rivers called it the best halftime speech in Turner's four seasons with the Chargers.

"I think as players, and there's enough leaders in that locker room, we ought to be able to get that done among ourselves," Rivers said. "But Norv certainly knows how and when and what buttons to push when we need it. He's done that over the last three years and this year as well."

Turner received a game ball.

"When things are going bad, he's quick to get the blame and when things are going good, he doesn't get any of the credit," Rivers said.

"It will be one that when they get it painted up that I'll put up and keep in a special place because this is a big win for our football team," Turner said. "It gives us a chance to go do the things we want to do and we need to build on it."

Turner downplayed his halftime speech.

"I think I was probably a little bit more emotional about it because there were some things I felt that we had to do to win the game," Turner said. "Some of the things we weren't doing or didn't do in the first half. I do believe I got our guys' attention. Everyone gets caught up in the emotions. We obviously executed some things a lot better in the second half. Some of it was by wearing them down, but there were some things we didn't execute too well in the second half.

"I'm glad they responded the way they did. It was emotional. This is an emotional game. It's what we needed."

The Chargers still have work to do. They allowed 305 passing yards, including a 71-yard touchdown pass from Vince Young to Nate Washington. They also got another punt blocked for a safety.

"The feeling we felt winning that game, it was like, I don't know, it hadn't happened in so long, it seemed like," Rivers said. "The big thing is not to get comfortable, and we won't, because we're not in a position where we can possibly do that. We've got to make sure we keep this thing focused on urgency here as we head to this week."

Rivers had his fifth 300-yard game of the season, tying his career high from last season. He completed 27 of 36 passes for 305 yards, with two TDs and one interception. His 2,649 yards are the most ever by an NFL quarterback in the first eight games of a season, bettering the old mark of 2,580 by Hall of Famer Dan Fouts for the Chargers in 1982.

Also Monday, safety Steve Gregory returned from his four-game suspension for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing substances.