1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers: Chargers not far off

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Rivers: Chargers not far off
    Published: January 26th, 2012
    By NFL.com Staff |

Philip Rivers took some time out of Pro Bowl preparations to sit down with NFL Network’s Fran Charles and Marshall Faulk to talk about what the Chargers need to do next season to be a better team.

“First and foremost, we have to take care of the ball,” Rivers said. “I think that’s one thing we’ve been able to do in years past. This year, I didn’t do a good job of it. We didn’t do a good job of taking care of it, and we didn’t get big takeaways.”

Rivers said the key for the Chargers to win a few more games — they went 8-8 this season — is in execution.

“A lot of times, you look at 8-8 or 9-7 and you get too caught up in what’s wrong instead of, ‘Let’s just play a little better and fine-tune some things,’ ” he said. “Because the difference in an 8-8 or a 9-7 team to that 11-5, 12-4 team is not a whole lot.”

Rivers pointed to the Giants as a team that came together late in the season to make a Super Bowl run.

“They were 7-7 and almost out, and now they’re playing for a championship,” Rivers said.

*click the headline to go to the video clip

• Like Like x 1
  2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    So he's saying the only reason we're 8-8....is because we don't get the job done on the field.

:coffee: Thats awesome insight.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Wow - Cut the man some slack already. I thought he spoke well and made some excellent points regarding the Giants and the difference between an 8-8 team and a 11-5 team.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'm irritated with Rivers because he hasn't seemed to make the link between the lack of execution, and the lack of preperation.

His penchant for blaming himself for our problems is going to keep this team from addressing the real problem, and I think we all know he's not an 8-8 QB.

5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Nope, he just played like one. :D

6. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Nice to see Rivers subbing for Norv. :roflmao:

• Like Like x 2
  7. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    How dare he talk about next season. He has to focus on this season. I hate how our players can never focus. You have to grasp the sliver coin before you can get the gold one. Duh Rivers!

• Like Like x 1
  8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Don't talk the talk, if you can't walk the walk. From Dean down to the head custodian who won't give AJ the combination to his gym locker, show us what you can do, don't tell us.

• Like Like x 1
  9. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    i wonder how hard it would be for dean to shell out 2-3 mill more fore some actual sarters

10. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    pretty damn hard since there's a salary cap and they already spend up to the limit

11. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    i thought we were just a little bit from going to the Super bowl too... a the beginning of the season. Norv's leadership proved me wrong.... he coached the boys into being a long way from a Super Bowl team.

12. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    yeah- almost the same words we hear out of Norv's lips during the season. "Just get a little better". Yawn...

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Didn't he say the same thing last year too?

14. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    yea it is extremely hard when you sign pussy linemen that either retire or end up on IR. castillo made 5 mill for one game.

15. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    This team was the following plays away from a 14-2 season

Tolbert fumbles against NE
    VJ fails to catch the ball against NYJ on a win sealing TD, resulting in the ball bouncing to Revis, who returns the ball 62 yds.
    Rivers fumbles the ball at the end of the 2nd KC Game.
    Against GB Rivers threw 3 picks (2 pick 6s) and we still put up 38 to lose by 7, and that with the ball in our hands at the end of the 4th quarter.
    VS Oakland we didn't score in the entire fourth quarter.
    Against Denver Norv blew the playcalling at the end of regulation, allowing the Tebotomy.

I mean, that's a lot of mistakes, but that isn't an endless sea of fail away from being a good team. The only games where we were not in the game were @ Chicago and @ Detroit.

I don't think that what Rivers had to say should blow the gyros on the Bullshit Meter (TM), but should be looked at in context. This team was almost good enough to be a 14-2 kind of team. Sadly, due to poor coaching, lack of player focus, and shoddy personnel management/roster building over the years the distance was, for this roster, unbridgable. The good news is that with a few quality FA signings and a Draft that isn't a travesty before Gods and Men, we might be that kind of team next season, if Norv doesn't torpedo the ship.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    geebus not more of this **** ....