1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Rivers: Chargers QB transition ‘not a setback’

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Mar 14, 2006.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5411938

SAN DIEGO (AP) - Philip Rivers became the San Diego Chargers‘ starting quarterback on Tuesday without breaking a sweat.
    Rivers moved up the depth chart after Drew Brees, pushed out the door because of a shoulder injury, signed as a free agent with the New Orleans Saints.The Chargers are now in the hands of a player who’s thrown only 30 passes in two seasons.
    Most people knew this day would eventually come, that either Brees or Rivers would have to go. It just wasn’t under this scenario.
    “Drew was a heck of a teammate, a heck of a player, a guy I had a lot of fun being around and supporting,” Rivers said. “I wish him the best on the recovery of the injury, which is the one thing I hated to see happen.
    “I feel almost in an awkward position saying this, but I’m happy for him that he was able to sign the deal he wanted in free agency. He’ll recover and have a successful rest of his career.”
    In Brees, the Chargers lose a Pro Bowler who led them to their only playoff appearance in the last decade, in 2004. Rivers, the fourth pick overall in the 2004 draft, looked rusty when he was forced into the season finale after Brees got hurt.
    “The one thing that’s important is this isn’t a setback,” Rivers said of the transition. “This is a time to keep pressing forward to get where we want. The time is now and we have an opportunity to do something special in the near future.”
    The Chargers obtained Rivers for Eli Manning and a handful of picks in a draft-day trade with the New York Giants in April 2004. But Rivers held out in training camp, allowing Brees, who had a poor 2003 season, to keep his job. Brees then led the Chargers to the AFC West title at 12-4.
    The Chargers missed the playoffs in 2005 after a late-season collapse.
    Because of Brees’ injury, Rivers knew he’d get plenty of snaps with the first-team offense this spring and summer.
    “I’m excited, and I’m going to work like crazy this offseason to get where I need to be,” he said.
    Rivers hopes to keep growing pains to a minimum.
    “I would be crazy to say I’m going to have a perfect season and make few mistakes. But I certainly expect myself to make as few mistakes as possible, and to let the offseason, let that be the time for growing pains. Make that the time when I make mistakes and learn and battle every day.”

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    He seems to be taking his rise with grace. L:ets hope for the best...

3. BigJim

BigJim New Member

Ratings:
    +203
    I always thought this is a good kid. He needs his chance. The other two top QBs drafted his year have already had sucess, even a Super Bowl. Why not a Super Bowl for the bolts? Get an O-Line and Rivers some experience and an improved secondary, and we're there.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Ok, I redid my signature temporarily until I can get a Rivers one. Brees is officially gone. Rivers is going to be our starter and I'm behind him 100%.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
  6. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Here another good link for some Rivers footage:

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    :icon_wtf:

9. AthensPhilipRiversFan

AthensPhilipRiversFan New Member

Ratings:
    +331
    I'm telling yall...with all i have in me...trust it...Philip is not going to be a setback to this team.

• Like Like x 1