1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers contract changes

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Shamrock, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Philip Rivers cap issues. UT Acee story today.

Wanna bet that none of that was figured into the "$43 million" that SD is supposedly under the cap, as stated by Ask the Commish.com?

Increases in pay:

$ 4.485 (2008 base : 5.75 - 1.265 = 4.485)
    $ 4.910 (2009 base : 6.5 - 1.59 = 4.91)
    $ 4.875 (2008 roster bonus)
    --------
    $ 14.270 million

Of that $14.270 million, $9.360 million should be "new" money against the 2008 salary cap (increase in base pay of $4.485 mill, plus $4.875 mill bonus). Note, I am "guessing" that the bonus is a roster bonus, a one year amortization. That would keep in character for AJ/Ed. Also, the Chargers would only be able to spread it over 2 seasons, so why not just take the hit in one year?

So, even if SD did have $43 mill available, the Rivers option picked up by the Chargers takes that figure down to $34 million. I'm still not buying those figures from Peter King or "askthecommish.com" ....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The "askthecommish" website link is a generic cap link, meaning they will change the data in the same link without leaving the historical record of what they showed earlier. So I'll post what it says as of today.

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

~~~~~~~

Peter King's salary cap guesstimates ..... why is he exactly $10 mill less than the other web site? Someone cheated off the other guy, and just had a bad edit.

2. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Thanks, Shammy. If the bonus was broken down over two seasons, couldn't they void it if he signs an extension sometime in '08? I don't see the team letting this contract situation go into the '09 season.

The snag is going to be the fact that Eli and Big Ben are also due for extensions, and I doubt any of their agents wants to be the first to jump as they will almost certainly want to wait and see what the other two get.

It would be wise for AJ/Eddie to get this taken care of before the other two. The sooner they can hammer that out, the cheaper it's going to be IMO.

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Any contractural extension void previous agreements and will incorporate those promised monies in the form of a new bonus, higher salary, etc etc etc.

Any speculations of the salary cap are exercises in futility because no one but the players, Chargers and the league know what, if any, bonus' need to be paid OR credited to the following years cap. This happens when a player does not reach certain incentives but it is still counted against the current cap.

These credits can amount to millions obviously. The Lions got a windfall credit recently and if I remember correctly it was between $10-20 million.

No one knows the incentives in Rivers contract which triggered the buyback clauses as well and is a perfect example of why salary cap exercises really prove nothing other than exercises in futility and basic accounting principles.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    On "voiding" the bonus. No, they can't void it, or change the cap ramifications of the bonus, unless they complete a signed extension prior to paying the 2008 bonus. I would guess that the bonus is a roster bonus, and payable during the offseason (between Feb - May).

Sometimes teams convert out year option bonuses to roster bonuses if they have cap room available. Conversely, if a team is limited on a specific year's cap availability, they will make a roster bonus become an option bonus.

The bonus has to be one of two things, roster or option. An option bonus would be amortized over the remaining years of the contract, in this case only two seasons (2008 and 2009). The cap hit on making it an option bonus would add $2.4375 mill to Rivers annual cap bonus amortization (ie - added to whatever the number was from previous signing/option bonuses). A roster bonus is a one time cap hit, and is treated like base salary in terms of how it affects the cap.

That's a good point. It would be wise to get Rivers deal done first. The other two will use "Super Bowl" as part of their negotiating strategy, especially if shEli wins over the Pats. New York will have to bend over for a Peyton Manning sized contract (plus inflation) for shEli if the Gnats beat the Pats.

It would be good for AJ/Ed to get ahead of the curve on this and get a long term deal done with Rivers. Doing it now makes sense for many reasons, especially considering the Chargers have cap room this season.

5. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Think of it this way.

When any contractural extension is signed and there is a guaranteed bonus due, no matter if the extension is signed one day before or after a partial bonus payment is made under the old contract, everything is voided at that point.

EVERYTHING.

It is a new agreement.

Bada bing.

6. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    A.J. is turning the thumb screws on Rivers as we speak. :yes:

I bet AJ is saying to Rivers, "look biitch, you showed up LT, plus you nuked your leg, therefore I am your *** down in salary to sign to the San Diego discount and don't let Dielman call you a puss because LT is fighting that monster as we speak"

SIGN HERE.

X_____________

7. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Future extensions, even if signed a day after bonus payment is made, do not change the amortization of a bonus (or the partial bonus already paid) that has already been paid.

An extension done prior to a bonus being paid can change the amortization of that bonus.

Once monies are paid they are accounted for (amortized) in the manner under that current contract. A roster bonus can be converted to an option bonus before it is paid, but it can not be converted after it is paid. An option bonus can't be considered as part of a future signing bonus, with years added, after it has been paid. It is what it is at the time of payment to the player.

Future payments can be, and are converted all the time.

Past payments, even one day old payments, are NEVER converted or voided.

8. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    ahahhahah

"yes sir"

signed philip rivers

9. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Philip Rivers Reveals He Had Leg Amputated Prior To Game

http://www.thebrushback.com/

FOXBORO--Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers had his leg amputated prior to Sunday’s clash with the Patriots in the AFC conference championship, the team revealed today. Rivers, who played courageously despite his limited mobility, refused to disclose the severity of the injury during the week because “he didn’t want to use it as an excuse.”

“My right knee was totally destroyed and I knew the only option was to get it amputated,” Rivers told the San Diego Tribune. “So I told the team doctor, ‘cut it off.’ The whole thing took about ten minutes on Thursday and then I spent a couple days hopping around like that and it felt okay. Obviously my mobility was pretty limited, but that’s not an excuse. I wasn’t the only guy out there who was nicked up.”

Unfortunately for Rivers, the amputated leg was his plant leg, so he was unable to generate power behind any of his passes.

“It’s too bad it was my right leg, because I was unable plant it and get that push,” said Rivers. “As a result, some of my passes were a little soft. In addition to that, I couldn’t get out of the pocket and scramble very well on account of I was hopping on one foot. On the bright side, when Richard Seymour went to stomp on my bad leg, there was nothing there! Nice try, *******!”

Rivers’ teammates didn’t know of his amputated leg until just hours before the game. When they saw their crippled quarterback take the field, they were inspired to win the game for him, or at the very least cover the point spread.

“I can’t tell you how emotional it felt to see Philip hopping into the locker room,” said cornerback Quentin Jammer. “At that point, we all huddled together and said ‘let’s win this one for Philip. And if we can’t win, dammit, let’s go out there and cover the point spread.’

And we did just that. I know there’s no such thing as a moral victory, but when you’re quarterback has one leg and you still manage to cover the spread, that’s pretty good. It would have been even more impressive if we had Billy Volek in there.”

It wasn’t just Rivers’ teammates who sung his praises. Members of the Patriots also lauded Rivers for his courage and selflessness. Linebacker Junior Seau, a former Charger, said he didn’t even realize Rivers was playing on one leg until the second quarter.

“Amazing. That’s all I can say,” Seau said after the game. “I had no idea his leg was hurt that bad until I got some pressure on him in the second quarter and noticed he was hopping on one foot. At that point I thought it would be a cakewalk, but it turned into a battle nonetheless. He actually made some pretty good throws out there. A lot of people think being a quarterback is all about the arms, but the legs are just as important because they help you balance.”

Some around the league are criticizing the Chargers’ handling of the injury. Rivers was listed as questionable on the team’s injury report, despite having only one leg. When asked about the discrepancy, coach Norv Turner quickly defended his decision.

“He was listed as a game time decision and we decided at that point that he was ready to go,” Turner said. “We did nothing illegal or underhanded. It’s just a shame that people have to focus on this stuff when they should be focusing on this young man and his unbelievable toughness. I mean, this kid doesn’t have a leg. Without that, you can’t even do that foot-stomp thingie before the snap. Well, you can, but it just looks totally hilarious.”

• Like Like x 1
  10. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Hey Troll -

Stupid crap like that belongs elsewhere.

11. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    Hey Shamrock how does Rivers taste? :icon_rofl:

12. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Well, let's see. I thought it was kind of funny, and I seriously doubt too many will be offended. Have a mod delete it, or ask that it be moved. Please, be my guest, and in the meantime, as you are so fond of saying, "Bite me." And I toned it down.

13. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    It's "blow me". :icon_rofl:

Your a good guy, Buck, even if you root for the Devil.

14. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Naw...born, raised, educated, taught, and retired in Maine. Always and forever a Pats fan. Moved to OC in 1998. Nice weather. I like the Celtics and Bruins as well, but I have never been a Sox fan. Shook Mickey Mantle's hand in 1956....I was thirteen. That caused me to like the Yankees.

15. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    You saved yourself nearly 50 years of aggravation with that move. Good for you.

16. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    For sure. Now I have hooked onto the Angels.

17. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Since the chargers owe rivers so much money now cause of him meeting incentives. It might be smart to tear up the old contract and just give him the second longer big contract now. That way they might be able to spread the money out in a longer time span.

18. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117

Don't you have a GIANTS forum to troll on:icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Or how about this?:

"Hey China Doll, you couldn't get through an entire season healthy if your life depended on it. Just be thankful that I'm offering to extend your mouthy punk ***".

SIGN HERE.

X_____________

20. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Nice job.....more class?

21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    No worries.

Do not listen to the bark of the head of the clan (UT Trash Mentality Inc.).

It was a Brushback article that any simpleton who has read knows it is humor.

Do not let the hormonal ones get to you as well. :lol:

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    :flag: - I am a bad man (M. Ali)

Jimmy the Greek lives !!!

23. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851

Right, because it's Rivers' fault that his OL keeps allowing defensive lineman to come through and pop him in the lower leg. :tdown:

24. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37

:icon_toast:

I'm thinkin' AJ should get the money for River's surgery from the O-line.

25. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18

Actually it was funny...and Sham's more into the gay scene. Biting him just doesn't cut it.

26. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Pssst...there have been rampant requests as of late from the Head of the UT Trash Mentality groupie corps for ******** (from anyone it appears). :icon_eek:

27. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    Your fountain runneth over!

28. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Aren't you suppose to be polishing and licking the boot of your boss -the head of your clan? :icon_huh: :icon_shrug:

I bet you look sexy in high heels as well. :yes: