1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers credits Turner’s poise in win streak

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Casey Pearce
    Posted Nov 19, 2009

Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers said this week that Head Coach Norv Turner’s focus and leadership have played a key role in the team’s current win streak.

When the Chargers dropped their Week 5 contest against the Broncos to fall to 2-3 on the season, Head Coach Norv Turner had a simple message for his team.

“You can’t control anything other than your own situation,” Turner said. “I thought in that game we did a lot of things better than we had in the previous games and I thought we were close to getting on a roll. We had to go out and play and not get caught up in the negative things about not winning the game.”

Turner’s players bought his message wholeheartedly, and earlier this week quarterback Philip Rivers said that his head coach deserves much of the credit for the way the team has kept its focus and turned things in the right direction.

“When you have a head coach that never flinches and never questions the schemes, the way we practice, what we’re trying to get done, it filters down into the locker room and into the team,” Rivers said. “Last year, 4-8 was the low. (This year) 2-3 wasn’t that, (but) we were still struggling. He leads us and we’ve got a lot of great leaders in that locker room that continue to get it turned around. He’s certainly had as much to do with our bounce back as anyone.”

Turner enters Sunday’s game with a 25-16 record in two and a half seasons with the Chargers. A win Sunday in Denver would give him a .619 winning percentage, which would push him past Sid Gillman’s .614 mark and give him the highest winning percentage among head coaches in Chargers history.

Count Broncos Head Coach Josh McDaniels among those who hold Turner in high regard.

“Norv does a great job of understanding strengths and weaknesses of your defense and the way that you try to play his team,” McDaniels said. “If you change some things up or if you have some success against him, then ultimately you’ve got to be ready for him to have an answer. Usually his answer … you see it fairly swift and it’s usually an answer that’s going to attack and make a big play.”

Five return

Tight end Antonio Gates, linebackers Shaun Phillips and Shawne Merriman, defensive tackle Ogemdi Nwagbuo and defensive end Travis Johnson were all back on the field Thursday after missing Wednesday’s practice. Johnson, Phillips and Nwagbuo were limited while the others were full participants.

Offensive tackle Jeromey Clary (ankle) missed practice again Thursday but is making progress according to Turner.

“I would expect him potentially to take some snaps (Friday) if not Saturday before we go, get a little bit of a workout in,” Turner said.

Center Nick Hardwick also sat Thursday and will likely put his comeback bid on hold for at least another week.

For a second-consecutive day, Broncos starting quarterback Kyle Orton missed practice due to a sprained ankle. Turner reiterate that his team is preparing for both Orton and Chris Simms and more importantly Denver’s offense as a whole.
    “We’re preparing for the Broncos,” Turner said. “There are 10 other guys that play when they’re on offense and we’ll prepare for them. Like I’ve said all week, I don’t think they’re going to change dramatically depending on who is in there. We’ve played against Kyle and I don’t think they’re going to run a different offense if all of the sudden someone else is playing.”

Special guest

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell was on hand at Chargers Park Thursday for a brief visit with the team. He addressed the entire team, answered a few questions from players and spent some time chatting individually with them.

“It was just like a meet and greet,” Hardwick said. “I think he wanted to show us his face and let us know he’s a real person. He’s a pretty personable guy.”

Vote for the Chargers

Earlier this week, the NFL announced the leading Pro Bowl vote-getters at each position and Darren Sproles[​IMG] currently leads the way amongst AFC kick returners. Sproles currently leads the NFL with 1,602 combined yards this season (rushing, receiving, kickoff and punt returns).

Other Chargers who as of Tuesday ranked in the top five at their positions include Gates and fullback Jacob Hester (both second) and cornerback Antonio Cromartie, kicker Nate Kaeding, punter Mike Scifres and special teamer Kassim Osgood, all of whom are fourth in voting.

Fan balloting takes place through Dec. 21. You can vote by clicking here.

Meet the Greatest Chargers

Running back Natrone Means and quarterback Stan Humphries have confirmed that they’ll be among more than 40 of the Greatest Chargers who will be on hand for the 50th Anniversary Block Party which will be held next Friday (Nov. 27) in downtown San Diego.

The Block Party will be the biggest football tailgate party of the year and will take from 5-11 pm. Upon entering the Block Party at 5th and J Streets, guests will be treated to a strong musical lineup, including the pop group Fountains of Wayne, as well as an assortment of food and beverages options.
    Tickets are $35 and can be purchased by clicking here. Fans must be at least 21 years old to attend the Block Party.

Tightening up

Last week the Chargers faced what Turner called perhaps the most dangerous group of returners in the NFL and held the Eagles to an average of just 21.5 yards on six kickoffs and 4.3 yards on three punt returns. This week San Diego will face a Denver team that returned a kickoff and punt for a touchdown against them in Week 5, and Turner likes the way his coverage units are playing as they prepare for another challenge in Denver’s Eddie Royal.

“We’ve been consistent,” Turner said. “I think we’ve corrected the issues we’ve had that caused those plays (against Denver). We have added some young guys that have high energy. Early they made a couple mistakes but I think they understand what they’re being asked to do.”

The special teams units have been aided by the strong play of rookie James Holt[​IMG], who earned a game ball after recording four tackles in the kicking game last week, and safety C.J. Spillman[​IMG]. Both players made their first two NFL appearances the last two weeks.

Tickets available

Fans are reminded that approximately more than 7,000 tickets remain available for the Chargers’ Nov. 29 contest against the Kansas City Chiefs. The Greatest Chargers will be honored prior to the game as the Chargers celebrate their 50th Anniversary Weekend.

Tickets are available now at the Chargers’ ticket office at Gate C at Qualcomm Stadium, at www.Chargers.com and through TicketMaster at 800-745-3000

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

:icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    From Chargers.COM:

Waiting for B4L's head to explode.... :lol:

4. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    It will be a while. He is having a timeout.

Just more proof that the players believe in what Norv is doing. Just get it done in Denver on Sunday.

5. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Only reason Rivers said any of that stuff was to spite b4l.

• Like Like x 2
  6. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Philip is a liar. :lol:

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    It's OK - he's forgiven. :icon_twisted:

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'm thinking River's is saying in so many words " man this guy just stay's calm under fire as opposed to our last coach " Norv does seem to out think himself at times but he keeps on going. The addition of Chud, must be working out well as Norv's eye in the sky. We have been dissecting defense's with our passing game, not to the tune of regular 300 yard games but enough to keep drives and scores coming.

9. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I still don't trust norv :icon_shrug: I think rivers is just forced to motivate everyone because norv leaves such a vacuum

10. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Ok you're right. Norv did do something right in being able to gain River's trust since Rivers is such an important part of the team.

11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    I'd rather Rivers trust Norv than you....or me, because I don't fully disagree with you about Norv (save the whole fire him even if we win the Super Bowl thing), but it's nice that the QB trusts him.

12. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    There may be no B4L but theres always nomorenorv. I think that article was a fake. You guys paid off a reporter just to piss me off and ruin my day...

13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    [​IMG]

14. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    Why would this news ruin your day?

You just said that Rivers believing in him was a good thing, in spite of your personal feelings on the matter.

15. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Rivers credits Turner’s poise in win streak

Don't feed the troll.

This, and every thread like it will go nowhere fast the more posts he has in them.