1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers downplays yapping at Cutler; Broncos not happy with smack talk

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Dec 26, 2007.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chargers-rivers-cutler&prov=ap&type=lgns

By Bernie Wilson

SAN DIEGO - — It’s on YouTube now, so it must have happened, right?

Well, San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers tried to downplay his animated exchange with Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler on Monday night, which was caught by ESPN’s cameras.

Rivers can be seen jawing from the sideline toward Cutler, who had just thrown an incomplete pass on fourth down midway through the fourth quarter of the Chargers’ 23-3 victory. Chargers linebacker Matt Wilhelm can be seen mockingly waving toward Cutler.

Asked what he was saying to Cutler, Rivers said, “Nothing. There was really nothing said to him, to be honest with you.”

The AFC West champion Chargers (10-5) returned to work Wednesday for the first time since winning their fifth straight game and for the ninth time in 11 games.

“I ain’t really thought nothing more of it,” Rivers said.

The QB said the trash talk Monday night was “no different than any other game I’ve ever played in since I was 10 years old. There was nothing unusual going on in that game. Just like anything that gets on the TV, it can be taken any way you want it to.

“There’s no animosity from me towards him, whatsoever. I don’t know if that’s the same on his end,” Rivers said.

It certainly wasn’t in the Broncos’ locker room.

Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey said there’s no excuse for what Rivers did.

“And I don’t really care for the guy, first of all,” Bailey said in a story posted on The Rocky Mountain News’ Web site. “He’s not a respectable guy right now, because you talk too much trash and do this and that, but you’re really not a great player in this league right now.

“You’re surrounded by great players, but you’re not a great player. I think he needs to understand where he stands in this league — where he stands on his team first and foremost.”

Cutler was more reserved when he met with reporters Wednesday.

“We’ve talked about it. I’m not going to get into it,” Cutler said. “It was an unfortunate situation. They talked a lot and the talk got heated between the two teams. Personally I don’t think the teams like each other, which is fine. It’s just going to add to it next year. It’s going to be exciting.”

The Chargers swept Denver for the second straight year, holding the Broncos to just a field goal in each game. San Diego won 41-3 at Denver on Oct. 7.

Minnesota Vikings safety Darren Sharper, who’s preparing to face the Broncos on Sunday, chimed in on Rivers. Sharper said it was “surprising” to see Rivers and Cutler getting after it.

Asked if those kind of exchanges happen often, Sharper said, “No it doesn’t, but Rivers is that kind of guy. He likes to run his mouth. He’s going to learn he is going to have to stop doing that, too.”

Sharper said Rivers mouthed off during the Chargers’ 35-17 loss at Minnesota on Nov. 4, when Vikings rookie Adrian Peterson shredded San Diego’s defense for an NFL-record 296 yards.

“He just runs his mouth a little bit,” Sharper said.

Chargers coach Norv Turner said he discussed the matter with Rivers.

“I talked to him and he understands where I’m coming from,” Turner said.

Notes

K Nate Kaeding had an MRI on his bruised lower left leg and it showed no structural damage. Turner said Kaeding should be able to handle field goals but not kickoffs. The team will decide to continue with P Mike Scifres handling the kickoffs, or to audition other kickers. … LB Marques Harris had surgery on his broken hand and could miss Sunday’s game at Oakland.

2. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    If I recall correctly, one of the announcers made an interesting comment during the game @ KC. He said that he had interviewed Jared Allen before the game. Apparently Allen likes to trash-talk a lot too, and he told the interviewer that he always loves to play against Rivers, because he is one of the few QBs that talks back to him!

3. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I just think this has been blown completely out of proportion, who gives a **** what a player says on the sidelines, is it suppose to be more of a topic cause it was a qb?

I don't like what chump bailey had to say either, he needs to remember that even though he plays this game for himself that this is a team game, saying pr is surrounded by great players fuq that! Every member of our team is equally important to our rise to glory that's about to take place. PR's a team player, and a guy who get's his *** kicked like he has all year can talk all the **** he wants. He can take it and he's proven that.

4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Seemsta me that the donks are spendin way too much time whinin about Philip, and not nearly enuff time worryin about how/why they were so inept in two games this season against the Chargers.

jes sayin

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Dear Champ,

If you don't like Rivers talking smack maybe try telling your offense to score a td next year? LOL

Love,
    Chargers D

6. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    If translated, and forgive me if I'm wrong, you're sayin'...

"...That sounds like some puhcee **** to me."

7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :icon_eek: WTF is "puhcee ****"?? :icon_shrug:

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Broncos should be careful about starting stuff they can't finish

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748

The way their team is crying about this only illustrates the frustrations going on in that clubhouse. I have a feeling the Broncos are about to implode (if they haven't already).

I would however like our guys to STFU already and play. Win something more meaningful that a division championship then talk.

10. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    and my Boy left him holding his jock on that post route. :yes: First down! This was right after they showed a clip of Rivers and Champ yakking. :lol:

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    The press has no idea what Rivers was even saying, yet they are trying to make big news out of it.

Personally... I LOVE IT!!!
    THIS TEAM NEEDS SOME ATTITUDE IF YOU ASK ME!!!
    NOT TO MENTION... INTENSITY AND PASSION!!!

Rivers probably got sick of seeing the chop blocks from the bench and the attempts last season!!!

Hey Chump.
    Worry about your own QB!!!
    YOU HAVE PLENTY TO WORRY ABOUT THERE!!!! :yes:

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Hope Chump & Co. enjoy watching PR talk shiit in the playoffs while they're eating popcorn in their living rooms. :tup:

Buncha poosies.

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    There were words said before the game from one Chump Bailey. Did Chump actually think our Bolt's were going to lay down and let them win??????

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Not this version. :no:

This is OUR division, you buncha broke-down, Rocky Mtn. rented mules!! :lol:

15. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Oh SHUT THE **** UP!!!
    Rivers has made the broncos his ***** the past 2 years and Champ just cant handle that. hey Champ, if youre so great, and rivers sucks so much, why is he has 10 TDs, 2 INTs, 960 yards, a 70% completion AND A 4-0 RECORD against you guys???

And just think, Norv took his foot of their throats in the 3rd quarter, just imagine the final score if he didnt. What would it of been? 35-0? 41-3 again? worse??

So champ, really just stop talking until you can MAKE rivers quit talking trash to your ****** *** team

16. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    The real story is that there is reason for the animosity. "Zone blocking" (just a way to explain the cheap shots the oline used to inflict on opposing defenses) and all the smack talk they used to spew out .. Kharma!

But being the Chargers, these story lines are ignored.

17. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I urge you all to take 3-5 seconds today to contemplate what a collective bunch of little punani's the Donks are.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I wish Rivers would keep his mouth closed and focus more on scoring 6 instead of 3 in the red zone. I don't care much for smack talk and the quarterback needs to keep his cool, not get drawn in to sophomoric mud-slinging contests with bitter and embarrassed opponents. I'm all for getting fired up, but that was embarrassing Monday night. We should act better than that, whether we are or not.

If Cutler wants to run his mouth, politely smile and point to the scoreboard. That smack is far more powerful.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I little smack talk is fine, but the stuff that went on Monday night was way over the line. This Charger team hasn’t won ****, this is not the time to be strutting around like that, or talking big to reporters after the game.

Our behavior isn’t much different than the “classless” way the Patriots celebrated in our house last January. I would hope that the Charger players are better than that.

20. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I think that's a bit funny considering that the quarterback on his team has done absolutely nothing, yet is considered one of the most up and coming qb's in the league.

You are right though Champ, It's not like Philip has brought the bolts back from a huge deficit at your house and won the game...oh wait.

21. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    well for me, I love it.... it's a good time to get the swagger back and I can think of NO other opponent I'd rather have them trash talk... I was sitting in plaza with that scene in front of me, and that boi Cutler deserved every ounce of trash he got... if he woud've walked off the field "professionally", he would not have been subjected to Matt's bye-bye and Shauns scoreboard classics... and I swear PR said bite me to Cutler... :lol:

does it make PR a target, perhaps... but it will also make him stronger...

btw, I don't recall Chump being humble when he picked 6 Brees... the donks can KMA...

22. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Did any of the reporters ask the Broncos what their vacation plans are after the Vikings pump them in the *** this sunday? :icon_shrug:

23. Yngwie77

Yngwie77 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Sounds like Merriman has a whole new bunch of guys to send popcorn to this year! F the Broncos, Cutler, Bailey, and all of them. Who the Hell cares what they think or say!

• Like Like x 2
  24. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Rep for you purely because of your avatar and for referencing Yngwie Malmsteen on a sports message board. Well done, sir.

25. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    For the fans who say we have not done **** let me remind you that it was 1968 when we beat the Broncos last four times in a row. That is almost 40 years.

Anyway, who gives a fuc what the Broncos or anyone else thinks. Fuc them all.

26. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am cool with how others see it. I just don't think that is that big of a deal. So what if Champ says he doesn't like it, what is he supposed to say when the Donks are humiliated by the Chargers twice this year?

Every small thing becomes a big thing to them. Yeah Rivers talks smack, but you know what, so what Cutlet. Cutlet was yapping at the Chargers side line, when he should have been running back to his bench to figure out how to play the position.

I only get irked at Rivers when his high amped attitude cost us yardage in the form of a penalty. Until then, player will yap. Kornholer and the announcers tried to make Manning and Brady out to be saints, saying they don't yack. BRADY DOESNT YACK?

Anyone remember when Brady went off on Marty? Anyone remember all the poor sportsmanship from Brady when he loses a game? Running off the field without shaking hands? This is the guy Kornholer tried to show as the paragon of NFL QBing? F' Kornholer. Also his whole thing about why should anyone think the Chargers can beat a good team when they lose to good teams... WHAT? So we lost some games, we should stop playing. Get that tool out of the booth, not only does he make me look like the sexiest man alive, but he has no football knowledge. Even my 9 year old says he doesn't know anything!

Whew... Rant over.

• Like Like x 1