1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers drawing Rave Reviews

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by PhilipRivers#1, Aug 3, 2006.

1. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    From ESPN Insider & ESPN The Magazine writer Seth Wickersham.

Rivers drawing rave reviews
    posted: Thursday, August 3, 2006

I was kind of mad at myself as I stood watching practice at dragonfly infested Chargers camp. I was fixed on Philip Rivers. Toward the end of Tuesday's practice, the ball hadn't touched the ground in a while. This is why I was ticked at myself. I hadn't been keeping track of how many completions he'd hit in a row in either seven-on-seven drills or full 11-on-11 ones. I knew the figure was in double-digits at this point.

Rivers was performing surgery on the Chargers' first-stringers. Sure, it's only training camp, and Rivers was wearing his red "Don't hit me" jersey. But he wasn't missing. So I finally started taking notes. Here was Rivers connecting on a short, timing route out pattern to Antonio Gates. Then a screen to Gates. Then another screen. Then a quick slant to LaDainian Tomlinson. Then a slant to Eric Parker. Then a deep hook to Parker. Then Keenan McCardell on a curl. Finally, it ended when he fired a perfect heater to Gates over the middle that cornerback Markus Curry batted down.

I was impressed. And I wasn't the only one.

"He's been throwing strikes all camp," Tomlinson said to me after practice. "Not only has he been throwing hard but he's been accurate and making perfect reads. He feels defenses very well."

"He's very accurate," McCardell said when I moved down a few lockers from LT's to his. "He shocked me with how accurate he is."

Rivers is amazingly accurate. During practice, I noticed he threw a slant to Gates a little behind him, and after the throw the two were talking on the sideline.

"I just wanted him to know why I threw it behind him on his shoulder rather than (behind him on) his numbers," Rivers said later.

That's accurate.

Rivers is adjusting well to his new (and old) team. He's determined, but having a good time. Last year, when I watched him at practice he didn't seem as fast and I noticed his awkward delivery more. He's still not fast -- Chargers defenders jokingly holler "Watch out for the QB sneak!" during practice *- but he moves around in the pocket well. Not Brady-well, but certainly better than any other Chargers QB.

Rivers told me he attributes that to better balance during his drop. The difference? He's holding the ball in the middle of his chest -* between his 1 and 7 jersey number -* instead of three inches to the right, over the 1.

"Amazing what a difference three inches makes," River said.

Many forecasters have unfairly pinned the Chargers' hopes solely on Rivers. Offensively, he needs his left-tackle situation settled, and it's not right now with Roman Oben injured and not practicing. But so much will come down to Rivers. I think he'll play well, but it still might end up being a 8-8 or 9-7 season for the Chargers, probably not good enough for the playoffs in the loaded AFC, and probably not enough for Marty Schottenheimer to keep what will almost certainly be the final head coaching gig of his long and proud career.

Random Stuff from Chargers Camp " I walked by Luis Castillo's locker after practice Wednesday morning. Last year at this time, Luis and I were spending a lot of time around each other as I was researching a feature about his decision to take Andro before last the combine (because he panicked when his injured elbow wasn't healing) and how he was able to overcome that and still be a first-round pick (because he listened to his agent, Mike McCartney, and came clean to every team in the league).

He had a good rookie season, avoiding the dreaded rookie "wall" late in the year and playing his best football in December. Certainly it's been a better offseason for him in '06 than in '05. He went back to his native Puerto Rice and held football camps. (Jay Paris of the North County Times does a good job of summing up that trip here)

He also worked on his crossover step. Last year, he'd rush so hard that he's circle himself out of the play. (He'd been a career defensive tackle who'd been moved to a 3-4 end.) He demonstrated his new move to me. Basically, at the point where he makes contact with the tackle, he cross-steps with his feet and pushes the guy out of the way. It was a little odd as I stood in the locker room with Luis using me as a blocking dummy, but hopefully it works out for him.

" The most noise during Chargers practice always comes from their linebackers. They actually clapped and danced their way from drill to drill during Tuesday's practice. Obviously, the key to San Diego's defense is the linebacking unit, which Kevin Acee spells out more thoroughly in today's Union Tribute.

" I don't have a lot of confidence in A.J. Feeley, if Rivers goes down this year. He misfired on more than a few passes during the two practices I watched, and during 11-on-11 drills wasn't very comfortable in the pocket and wasn't setting up well, so much so that offensive coordinator Cam Cameron had to remind him to set his feet.

" I wonder if Schottenheimer is mellowing a bit in his old age. He didn't yell once during the two practices I saw. What's more, he was right there when the Chargers' kickoff team and later the defensive line were having problems staying onsides. Now, Schottenheimer will be 63 in September and has coaches his entire life. I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd flip out so strongly to an offsides that he'd cut a guy on the spot. But what did he say, both to the kickoff team and defense?

"Please look at the ball, guys."

" The biggest playmaker among Chargers receivers that I saw was Malcom Floyd, a first-year guy from Wyoming. Floyd consistently made leaping grabs over defender's heads, particularly on deep routes. Floyd is also one of five Chargers receivers or tight ends that are 6-4 or taller.

" I'm in San Francisco for the next few days and will head to Raiders camp this afternoon.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=wickersham_seth#20060803

• Like Like x 4
  2. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    LA Times - Sam Farmer column

He'll Make Calls; Can He Answer One?
    August 4, 2006

Philip Rivers has a most-valuable-player candidate in his backfield, a transcendent tight end in his sights, an up-and-coming defense in his corner, and the future of an NFL franchise in his hands. But is Rivers, who has yet to make his first pro start, the right quarterback to lead the San Diego Chargers where they want to go?

One of the most respected offensive minds in football — an AFC competitor, no less — has no doubt about that.

"I've made the statement that whichever team winds up with Philip Rivers is going to the Super Bowl," said Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow, who coached Rivers in his freshman season at North Carolina State. "That's a bold statement, I know, and I'm not saying it will happen right away. But he has that kind of ability and charisma."

What's more, Chow says he was quietly lobbying to trade for Rivers last season, when it looked as if the Chargers might keep Drew Brees instead. The Titans wound up drafting Texas quarterback Vince Young, in doing so taking a pass on Matt Leinart, one of Chow's star pupils at USC.

"Selfishly," Chow said, "I was hoping we might get Philip."

• Like Like x 1
  3. AthensPhilipRiversFan

AthensPhilipRiversFan New Member

Ratings:
    +331

Selfishly...I was hoping the same thing!!! LOL

• Like Like x 2
  4. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    This is just my biased opinion that Philip is going to be an MVP without a doubt in the next few years and give the Chargers trophy case the big Lombardi trophy because he commands by his Great Positive Attitude and Shear Will to get the ball where it needs to go and in the games that I seen in College a lot of Defenses could not adjust to the calls that Rivers made so they were a confussed bunch. Here in the NFL with the ALL STAR cast he has with our beloved Chargers it is no doubt in my mind that our loved chargers will go at least 13-3 this year as there record then deep into the playoffs but not the Super Bowl due to the 2 Questions I have in the first is the Defensive Secondary and the other is our kick off return/punt return yards after the catch and also the coverage in the Special Teams unit as well. I have no problems at all in the Offense. Philip will lead us to the promised land of a Super Bowl and I would say next year and bring the Lombardi Trophy home where it belongs at San Diego. All this is just my opinion of #17 Philip Rivers QB San Diego Chargers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    [​IMG]

BELIEVE !!!

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    [​IMG]

THE CHOSEN ONE HAS ARRIVED !!!!!

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    [​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

=

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    As I have seen in college Philip delivered so many wins and respectability to North Carolina State that The chargers will see the greatness that is Philip Rivers. People of San Diego behold the power of Rivers. Lombardi will be ours due to the Philip Rivers greatness with the help from the epic Universe that is the humble LT and the flood of rewriting record books of the open Gates. On the Defense side of things the lights are all out with the Merriman of storm troopers the eleven they are seem to be eleven million that any opposing teams will see and cringe on the juggernaut that is led by the Shawne of the bolts. I know that I am very Biased in my opinion but it is what I believe. The thought of this about to become Super Bowl MVP#17 Philip Rivers QB San Diego Chargers. I would alos be happy if there is to become Super Bowl MVP #21 Ladainian Tomlinson RB San Diego Chargers. Now that would be great headlines in any news paper. Again just my opinion.

9. AthensPhilipRiversFan

AthensPhilipRiversFan New Member

Ratings:
    +331

and this time i say....AMENNNNNNNNNNNN!:icon_banana:

10. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I know that I am sounding like I am a crazed fan of Philip Rivers but to me I think that we are seeing the start of a dynasty developing before our very eyes so every person out there believe in Philip he will bring home the Lombardi to us just believe. I know that some will say that I am smokin some powerful stuff but I am not. Believe :yes: Believe :yes: believe :yes: That is all I ask please.

11. CrmWestwood

CrmWestwood BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +43
    I don't know if I believe, but I definitely know!:icon_banana:

12. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Its ok TT, join the crowd !!! :icon_banana: :tup: :yes:

13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Yup, thats the sound of a Charger fan excited about the new QB. I hear it with everyone of the QBs we have. Heard it with Flutie, Brees, now Rivers.

And there aint thing one wrong with it.

14. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    When did you hear it about Flutie or Brees? :icon_shrug:

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,670
    i knew flutie wouldnt lead us to a championship, wasn't sure if brees could or couldnt

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Charger fans ALWAYS know the next QB is going to be the greatest and make everyone forget all the great QBs of the past.

I heard it with just about every Charger QB up to and including Leaf. If you were not in denial, you would not be trying to argue it.

17. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820

Maybe Leaf and Brees just cause they came out of college highly touted. I was hyped about Humphries cause Beathard was still a genius at the time and had insider info on him from his time with the 'Skins.

As for the rest of em from Harbaugh to Laufenburg to Kramer to Flutie to Whelihan to Friesz to Malone to everyone else that I can't remember, they were just guys. I think we all hoped that they wouldn't suck but at no time did we think that any of them would be something special.

Plus where do you get off on your high horse giving me a Charger lesson when you didn't even know what the NFL was ten years ago. :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  18. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    So I see that some believe but we need all Charger fans to BELIEVE in the #17 it will give us all strength that is sorely needed. All Charger fans unite around the world and support Philip Rivers with blind faith that he wil without a shadow of a doubt in my eyes and hopefully in yours that the only thing that belongs in San Diego and Athens is our Charger savior Philip Rivers is the Lombardi. Everyone please BELIEVE in the POWER that is #17 Philip Rivers QB San Diego Chargers. BELIEVE my Brothers and Sisters BELIEVE. The Lightning God has arrived from the east like a sunrise form Wolfpack Country via Athens Alababma. BELIEVE :icon_bow: :icon_bow: :icon_bow: :icon_bow: :icon_bow:

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,670
    Charger QBs in my 23 yrs that I know were not the chosen one nor did we delude ourselves:
    John Friesz
    Billy Joe Tolliver
    Erik Kramer
    Jim Harbaugh
    Craig Wielhan
    Moses Moreno
    Doug Flutie

Yes Brees had high expectations but if he was going to be our QB to the super bowl, no one thought of him in the mold of a QB with so much potential (like a Manning or a McNabb or anything like that) but a QB that'd manage the offense well enough to keep the team going to the SB (a'la Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer)

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    What do you mean I didnt know what the NFL was 10 years ago?:icon_shrug:

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    I support Rivers, but I am not ready to declare him the second comming or expect the superbowl of him this season. I think many of you believers are going to end up treating him badly because he doesnt live up to your instant expectations.

22. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    [​IMG]

BLASPHEMY :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    :trout: :trout:

24. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I will not at all treat him badly because both Philip and myself went to the same College and he helped North Carolina State to be put on the map so I am going to still support him through feast and famine, thick or thin, in great weather times including the storms he will weather through if he does not take the San Diego Chargers to the promised land this year but he will help get us to the Super Bowl sooner than later. I am thankful that he will bring us in my opinion a Dynasty due to the supporting cast aruond Philip Rivers. So I am a big believer in Philip Rivers he is the ANTI T.O. and knows how to win games when the chips are down and not the ME ME ME ME ME type of players. Rivers is just is one of the team with his mentality of one of the Cogs in the machine that wants peek performance every game he plays from himself. When other players on his teams he has played on see that Philip Rivers is hungry for a win he drives other players to be as hungry as he is for that win and the others try that much harder for the win. That is what makes him a great leader out there on the feild and off of the feild as well. I know that I am crazy out in left field type of fan about Philip Rivers but it is just the way I am. Lombardi here we come. So please all of the Chargers fans try to believe that he can get us to the promised land of a Super Bowl.

25. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    We both know who the real JCL is. :yes:

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Yeah you, Mr. poopy pants!:icon_tease:

27. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Since we're both mods, who am I supposed to report this post to? :icon_huh:

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Ahh... I dont know.

Why dont we just go ahead and ban each other on the count of three?

29. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    :icon_banana: :icon_banana: :icon_banana:

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    One....