1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers for MVP...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by NORV4LIFE, Dec 2, 2009.

1. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I hear all this talk about the geriatric for MVP or payton manning or evn brees. They are all undoubtedly having great seasons but with the exception of manning, no one has meant even close to as much to their team as Rivers. WHy isn't he even in the running? No one ever inlcudes him and I've heard some people even include Brady over him... WTF?!?!!?!?!

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,423
    I'm not sure Rivers should win it over Peyton but I definitely agree his name needs to be in the conversations much more than it is.

3. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Philip has no chance. :no: If the Bolts end up 13-3 and Rivers has the numbers he had last year, or better, he still won't win it, because the media has already made up their mind it's Brees or Favre.

Now if the Bolts had beat the Patriots on MNF 38-17, and Rivers lit up the defense for 5 td's, then the media would be all over him this week talking about him.

4. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Peyton has the edge right now from an informal poll amongst voters. But, Brees and Favre are the other two who they've made up their mind with as the other choices.

5. Pro19

Pro19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    As the weeks go by, and we keep on winning, I'm sure you'll start hearing Rivers' name in that conversation more and more.

He just needs to keep doing what he's doing...

6. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Peter King has him in 4th place (behind Manning, Favre and Brees), I have no problem with that, those guys have played great, their teams have better records and they have better stats.

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Rivers needs at least 30 passing TDs to get any sort of serious consideration. Although, he'll be in the conversation until they give it to Favre. :lol:

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    There's only one MVP award I want Rivers to win and it isn't the one being discussed in this thread.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Really. IDK, i've seen several articles that say farve isn't even in it because of Brees and Mannning.... That is just today too. I don't think he'll win but he deserves to be in the running at least, I mean come on... right now nobody threatens other teams deep like rivers...

10. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Come on, I think we'd all rather have rivers win that one... pro bowl mvp right???

Just ****ing with yah. I would much rather see him win superbowl mvp or just play in the superbowl for that matter!

11. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Drew Brees

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    I think Peyton threatens teams with the deep ball as well.

That being said, Rivers forces teams to defend the entire field even if we're deep in our own territory and that's what I love about our offense.

13. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    I think Favre has the edge right now, not Manning. Favre has only 3 picks, Manning has over double digits in picks. It will really come down to the final week of the season, and if the Saints, or Colts go 16-0 then the MVP will be from that team because of it.

If the season ended today, I'd go:

Favre
    Brees
    Manning
    C. Johnson
    Rivers

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    I was just going by what a sportsline.com article posted after the writer (Clark Judge, I believe, but I forget) said he polled those that would actually be doing the official voting.

I'd find the article and link it but I have to get ready for work.

The article said the voters are leaning towards Peyton with Brees a close 2nd and he makes the argument for Favre.

15. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Even more reason to give it to Rivers. He's put a team that was struggling on his back.

Also, I have $50 down on Rivers as MVP this year.

16. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Yes, he is killing it deep. (Wish his long ball was that good when he was a Charger.) But in the context of being the most valuable player, Brees has a 5th ranked rushing game behind him. Farvre, 9th ranked rushing game backing him up.

An argument can better be made for the value of Manning (31st) and Rivers (30th).

Pundits often seem like they pick the "best" player rather than the most valuable one.

17. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Yeah but NE had completely blown those coverages. if that happened even ryan leaf might have cashed in on those... Drew Brees is amazing but i'm just saying...

18. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    yea no **** they will probably give it to cutler. hes only on pace for 44 ints. rivers has to win out get diabetes and have the best passer rating in the league for these fools to give it to him. who really cares, after cutler made the pro bowl last year all those awards and **** are worthless. all that matters is the championship

19. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
  20. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Sad but true, Philip Rivers is one of the least liked players in the NFL. Outside of San Diego he is more known for being a cocky, arrogant QB, with an awkward throwing motion, than he is for the dynamic leader that we see every week.

I travel all over the country for work and it football is the one common topic I can discuss wherever I go. It amazes me that I hear the same thing just about everywhere I go. When people find out that I'm a Charger fan, the first thing I usually hear is that we have a jerk for a QB. Philip's reputation is a poor reflection of both the person and the player but it is out there. If you need further proof Rivers isn't even in the top 4 vote getters at QB in the AFC.

21. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Yeah I agree with SDC that it's mostly because Phil gets a bad rap. Would you vote for Tom Brady to win anything? I sure has hell wouldn't. But in my experience even folks that don't like Rivers at least respect his abilities, not that that will help him win any popularity contests.

Plus Rivers is also a victim of the west coast media vacuum. Less coverage, exposure and hype than everything east of the Rocky's.

22. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    Not just against New England though, in the last few years he's made some good teams secondaries look completely lost. And to be fair, wasn't only the 75 yarder a blown coverage? Weren't some of the other ones just great throws? I'm not trying to argue here I just think that Drew Brees is slightly more of a deep threat with the long pass(although Rivers is damn amazing)

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    I remember when the Brees/Rivers debates were at their worst the biggest knock everyone in the Rivers camp had on Brees is that he can't throw the deep pass...

24. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Funnuy thing is that Rivers could give a flying fuk (unlike some whiney ***** *** DE from another team).

He has only one award in his mind.

• Like Like x 1
  25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
  26. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    Who would that be

27. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    That would be Jason Taylor who cried about Merriman being considered since he popped for a banned substance in the pre-season back in 2006.

28. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    Ah. I either never heard about that or just don`t remember it. Actually now that I think about it I do remember something about that happening.

29. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Yeh well breees couldn't really back in sd...

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    I also remember posting a video link of a 60 yarder to Curtis Conway everytime that statement was made.

He just didn't do it a lot back then because that wasn't our game plan. Our offense centered around LT.