1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers / Fouts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Jan 21, 2008.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    I didn't think we would ever have a SOB QB as tough as Fouts.

[​IMG]

I was wrong. Rivers is that tough.

This era is going to be a great ride! :tup:

2. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Rivers just put his stamp on this team. The FAT BOYS know just how much they can count on Rivers. They'll move mountains for him now.

3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I remember that game you posted that pic of Fouts with his bandaged nose.

He had just taken a vicious hit and I think part of a helmet came down on the bridge of his nose and might have even broken it, or dislocated it. There was a lot of blood as you can see some of it on the front of his jersey.

Fouts got patched up and went back in and played. He wasn't sacked the rest of the game and the Chargers won.

4. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    It was against the Raiders and the med staff put straws up his nose so he could breath. Tough.

The turd player pulled his faceemask down so hard it broke the bridge of his nose.

5. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah, why does it not surprise me that any time something bad happens regarding the Chargers, the Raiders are usually the ones. :tdown::unsure:

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Yesterday Philip became the unquestioned leader of the team.

****, after that performance (w/out an ACL, fukkin crazy), I'd move mountains for the dude as well.

If anyone questions his leadership after yesterday they can step the f off the wagon right now.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    In the stands, we could not really tell he had been hurt until his jersey turned red. That was a shitload of blood. I remember another game against the Browns where he bloodied his nose as well.

Dan Fouts was one tough SOB. He ran just like Rivers and it was not pretty.

8. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I saw tons of Patriots fans recant their views on Rivers and they had no clue.....

Rivers will walk on water. :yes:

9. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
    I like how Rivers was using the "pump fake" during last weeks game... reminds me of my hero FOUTS! I have major respect for Rivers play last week.... We were in that game, but the injuries finally took their toll on this team... I am excited for next season... :bolt:

10. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851

His armpit odor acts as a nasal decongestant. :abq1:

[​IMG]

11. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243

Yeah, but I was lucky enough to sit next to a guy in Nashville who saw our kid QB keep getting back up after being pummelled all game.

Rivers is a tough one ..... he keeps proving it.

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'll be glad to give 'em a hand. :icon_twisted:

Rivers is a tough guy - didn't watch much of Fouts, but he reminds me quite a bit of Stan re:toughness.

Wait 'til next year!! :yes:

13. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    A couple of thoughts on the topic.

Fouts was just coming into his own when I moved to SD and started watching the Bolts as a kid. He will always be the standard that I measure Charger QB's against.

Stan the man Humphries was a tough SOB as well. He was one of the best I have ever seen at holding the ball to the last second in order to make the play even though it resulted in his getting knocked on his ear hole.

Lastly, Rivers' toughness was shown when he hurt his knee. The dude shredded his knee and from his actions (running to the locker room) and demeanor (not even a grimace) you would have thought he had a hang nail. Most guys are rolling on the ground waiting for the cart with that injury. That was right up there with Lo getting up and hopping off the field with a broken leg.

14. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Rivers is not at Fouts level. I am not sure that I can look at it objectively though. :icon_shrug:

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We'll see how stacks up in the future, but at this point in his career he is actually doing better than Dan, who blossomed under Corryell. Norval has a reputation with QB's Attitude and toughness are huge part of the way a QB produces. Rivers has both, in measures equal to Fouts. So far his arm is ahead of schedule.

16. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Rivers is a gangster, straight up. There. I said it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I can.

Dan Fouts absolutely sucked balls before Coryell so that was a span of I think around 4 years - maybe 3. I forget. :lol:

Seriously, Rivers is light years ahead of Dan at all milestones at the start of his career.

There is no comparison. Dan was that bad. I mean bad.

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    While I never saw the Fouts era, I agree with this simply because Rivers has only played two full seasons as starting QB. One year he was outstanding, the other year he got better, was gutsy but didn't have a great year. So I'd wait til after the 09 season to determine if Rivers truly is better then Fouts. At the very least he deserves to be talked about with Hadl, Fouts, Humphries as a top 4 QB in Charger history

19. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Yup. Fouts' first 5 seasons as the Charger QB, he threw more INT than TD in EVERY SEASON, and never had more than 2600 yards passing in any of those. With a 14 game season at the time, that comes out to less than 186 yards per game on average.

Fuccccqq!!!!!

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    5 years ? Unitas was here in '73 with Svare and then Coryell in 78...wow....It was 5 years. Those stats are hideous. That was absolutely the darkest chapter in Bolt history - we sucked and sucked bad.

21. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah, Fouts started 6 games his 1973 rookie season. Completed only 45% of his passes, 1126 yards, 6 TD, 13 INT.

22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    There is nothing worse on the face of this planet other than that name and Charger football.

Dan always scared the hell out of me, until Coryell arrived. That was some crazy ****.

23. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    WORD. Rivers IS the modern day Fouts. Except Rivers will GET his rings. Notice the "s". :yes: