1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers, Gates already clicking

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,844
    By: JAY PARIS - Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO ---- It's easy determining Philip Rivers' best friend on the football field. When a first-year starting quarterback has an All-Pro tight end in Antonio Gates, there's no doubt where Rivers will lean.

But Rivers' affection for Gates goes beyond the sidelines.

"It's not like I said, 'Oh, I'm the starter now, let's be buddies,' '' Rivers said. "It has progressed since I've been here.''

The "it" is a friendship that reminds some of what brothers share. Despite coming from different backgrounds, different races and taking different paths to the NFL, Rivers and Gates are closer than the Padres and the Dodgers in the National League West standings.

Take a routine session in the weight room. When Rivers' ends his reps, Gates' needle is already sharpened.

"You should be able to do that because you took about five minutes,'' said Gates, goading Rivers.

Quicker than a New York minute, Rivers will look for Gates Monday night in Oakland. If something breaks down in pass protection, Rivers is secure having Gates as a safety value.

Rivers, 24, said their familiarity with each other away from football brings them closer when it's game on.

With these two, it seems they are always playing something.

Basketball? Yep. Pingpong? Oh yeah. Poker? Face it, the cards are often being shuffled in the locker room's west end, where Rivers and Gates are neighbors.

"Our business partly drew us together as friends,'' Gates, 26, said. "We are just to be able to relate to one another. Although he came from a totally different background than I did, we all understand what we have to do for this ball club.

"We're happy to be around each other; we just grew together. If you're around a person so long, you can't help but think like them, act like them. We are around each other so much because we have to be. But in the offseason we even work out together.''

Some of that time is spent fine-tuning routes. Other days it's leisure which suites their tastes.

Click the link for the full article
    http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/09/09/sports/professional/chargers/22_16_459_8_06.txt

2. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Insert gratuitous bubble joke here.:unsure:

3. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I just hope that PR doesn't get tunnel-vision and focus in on Gates too much.

4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    It's nice that he has such a great arsenal to choose from...I think Eric Parker's gonna be huge!!:yes: :tup: