1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers & Grossman Comparison!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fouts, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
    Already happening on Sirius NFL Radio.... :no: Any Merit? :icon_eek:

2. swishbish33

swishbish33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Rivers doesn't throw the interceptions at the same volume as Grossman. But neither handle the rush very well. I don't think it has any merit with the exception of the happy feet in the pocket with more than four coming.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Who would you want starting for your team?

I'd say all Charger fans AND Bears fans would pick Rivers.

4. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    Rivers passes makes his arm look like a wet noodle.

5. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Same player with a couple small differences

Grossman throws INTs to DB
    Rivers throws them to LB then spends the next 20 minutes in a temper tantrum

Grossman throws more INTs when he becomes flustered
    Rivers throws more INTs when flustered, but also starts fumbling the ball

Rex Grossman doesn flop on every play when hes behind BEGGING for a roughing the passer call

Rex has a stronger arm, MUCH stronger

6. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    and Grossman has coordination and can run:tup:

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Man .... kick a guy when he's down!! :icon_shrug:

Rivers stunk it up on Sunday. The O-line didn't help matters, but PR had a very bad day at the office.

Ever had one of those? Often just when you thought that you had it all figured out? PR appears to be suffering a very bad case of "sophomore jinx".

I still think he's our QB of the next several years. Doesn't have a cannon, never will. But he's very capable of making smart, accurate throws of medium to medium long range. Right now I think that I'm seeing a lot of frustration stemming from over-inflated expectations. A lot of our team is showing, IMO, very little resilience to much resistance from the opposition. We've played VERY badly against some, by most measurable stats, less-than-stellar teams.

I blame a lot on the coaching staff. Someone is not prepping these guys correctly, using their talents properly, & making game-time adjustments. That's the coaches.

Sorry, got OT. :lol:

I'll stick with PR. Call me crazy. :icon_tease:

8. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    I am down on River's play, but I think a lot of this is very harsh, and a little blown out of proportion.

Rex was surrounded by a good coaching staff and compentent offisenve line.

I think we have the OL, but lately they've played like schit, and our playing calling has been extermely perdicatble.

I am supporting River's through the season, especially if he can do the following:

1. Chilllll a bit.
    2. Re-act better to blitzes (which is partially a play calling thing).

If he could do better in both those areas, I think we'd start seeing the old Philip.

I also don't buy the whole, "there's enough tape on him, that teams have his number." He's been failing/fumbling because he's being chased left and right line backers. Show me an QB that excells when under pressure, play after play after play. Our biggest problem is the OL failing. They keep the pocket open, so a play can develop and his numbers go up.

I also don't think they guy is cracking under pressure. Last year he held this team together through a lot of crazy games (bengals, broncos, pats)... so it's something else.

I think all the hype around Norv's ability to work with QB's isn't neccessarily wrong, I just don't think the guy has time to work with a QB when he's suppose to be running the entire team.

I think a lot people here would agree that Norv as our OC would be an excellent thing. Maybe we can get a new HC in the post-season, and keep Norv as our OC.:icon_shrug:

9. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    What has Norv done excellent as HC? :icon_shrug: You must see something I dont

10. Golfboy

Golfboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    You guys crack me up. I live in Chicago - these two are NOTHING alike. Yea, Grossman has a stronger arm. He's also shorter so he can't see over the linemen, he's a coward in the face of a rush, and he DOES fumble a LOT. A LOT more than you saw out of Rivers yesterday.

Grossman's numbers for this year: 1 TD, 6 INT, 9 sacks, 1 fumble (8 last year), 52.8% completions for 5.6 yds per catch. And a 45.2 rating. And these numbers are for 3 games.

Rivers: 10 TDs, 8 Ints, 8 fumbles, 11 sacks 61.5% completions, 7.1 yds per catch and 82.9 rating.

I'll guarantee you that the Bears fans would take Rivers in a second over Grossman. The problem is poor play calling and inconsistant O-Line work.

11. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    "AND THAT STARTS WITH THE COACH!!!!"

The views expressed above do not necessarily represent the views of PowderLove or those of the Super_Deluxe Robotics Corporation.

12. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    I never said he did any excellent as a Head Coach, just saying as his ability to help QBs may be lacking here because of his duties as a HC.

13. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
    How about demoting Norv to Quarterbacks coach... if he is calling the plays, then I really rather not see him as our OC.... :tdown:

14. humbolt

humbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Drew Brees is no taller than Grossman. Probably a little shorter. His height limitations doesn't prevent him from seeing downfield. :icon_huh:

15. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    my bad I meant OC

16. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Rivers will be fine, I am not sure he will learn how to run or scramble, but he will be fine, although if you were to ask me if i would trade 445 yards and no int's for our qb performance yesterday FUQ YEA i would.

17. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    you don't think the work he did San Francisco, Dallas, or even building blocks he put in place here in 2001 give him credit as a good OC?

18. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Do you have a pendant around your neck with Drew Brees picture in it? :lol:

19. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Puuhhlease .. Grossman is awful. Rivers had a bad day. Although, what I want fixed right now are his happy feet and throwing off his back foot. This has to happen now or things will not get better this season and he they will be tough habits to break down the road.

20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Your so full of **** your breath gives you away.

21. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Agree:yes:

22. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Where the hell was our MVP RB?:icon_huh::icon_shrug: I seen him whiff big time on his blocking assignment's. Not to mention a whopping 37 yards on the ground, so let's blame it on Rivers. What fawking idiots.

23. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Rivers has to be given more responsibility for the failure against the Vikings, since he runs the team. He was off target a number of times on critical passes even when there wasn't anyone breathing down his neck. I'm especially mentioning the early long one to Chambers and that horrible fluttering balloon to VJ in the endzone. Next up is the offensive line. Bad play calling victimized LT. Even he needs a glimmer of day. That said, he whiffed like Dave Kingman on that block.

24. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    Do you think he has pictures of Drew next to his Cory Haim and Kurt Cameron posters? This guy is creepy gay. :frightened:

25. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

26. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    - Grossman never made the probowl his first year starting.

- Grossman never led his team to the greatest comeback in franchise history (41 pts in the second half against cincy)

- Grossman never led the league in 4th quarter qbr.

- Grossman never led his team to 14-2 record his first year starting.

27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Where was our MVP running back> he had a great day whiffing blocks and not making plays. Your right it's all Rivers fault.

CUT RIVERS NOW AND LET VULCAN LEAD US TO THE PLAYOFFS, I'M ALL FOR IT.

28. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Agreed. I'd pick a wet rag over Grossman.....