1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers has ZERO pocket presence

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Nov 24, 2007.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    After rewatching the games, and then watching guys like Ben Roethlisberger, Tony Romo, Brett Favre, Tom Brady, Matt Hasselbeck, and even Jay Cutler it became obvious how horrible Philip Rivers is maneuvering in the pocket.

When one guy breaks through the line, he cant extend the play by sliding forward, left, right, or rolling out. He just chucks the ball anywhere, wether the guy is triple covered or there no guy in the area at all and he takes an intentional grounding.

Does Rivers really have any of that "X factor" everyone was ranting and raving about last year? Or does he only have it when he has 3 Pro Bowl linemen blocking for him?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    That's because he doesn't have a pocket. They ain't getting the job done. Maybe Hardwick will make a difference when he's back. Poor offensive line play dooms QB's and RB's both. LT carved up the record book last year, too. Same line, for the most part. Same coaches for them. The process of elimination is reaching an unpleasant concluscion.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    BINGO!

People want the easy answer, that Rivers sucks. The God of all Quareterbacking (at least according to the media) Tom Brady would have trouble operating with the "protection" the line is providing.

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The war is won and lost in the trenches.

Look no further.

Trust a brother. :bolt:

5. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    I think the title of this is wrong. He has pocket presence and it has gotten A LOT better. He has less sacks with a worst O-line and a tougher schedule that shows something. One of the biggest reason I think that he has higher interceptions this year, although strength of schedule plays a lot into this, is that he is able to throw it instead of getting sacked. He just makes some bad decisions with the ball when doing this however.

Rivers is however not mobile and will never be. Rivers ran above a 5.00 in the combine and he practiced running faster so his speed on field is slower.

Don't think its only his height Vince Young is a big guy and he can run a lot faster. Kevin O'Connell is just as tall (if not taller) and bigger and runs a 4.5

6. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Does he not still have those lineman blocking for him? I know Hardwick has misse a few games but he has been in there more than not.

Rivers isnt the only one not performing up to par.

7. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Agreed. Just look at the time Brady or Romo have and how great the o-line blocks for him. You give ANY QB time and he will carve you up.

8. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    I truly think it is more then Rivers/OL...

I saw a very good QB last year in Rivers. He got time and he made the right adjustments the majority of the time. This year he is flustered....If you watch the games, he looks at the rush instead of "feeling" the rush and stepping up. He seems to react poorly to one guy breaking through when the rest of the 'good' QB's named earlier would simply step up.

The game has sped up for a number of reasons. (1) the OL play has been worse then last year. (2) he has shown poor decision making skills, so team decide to stop LT at all costs thus forcing Rivers to beat them, and he has not taken advantage of that. (3) His mechanics are very, very poor... When you are playing poorly in any sport, most coaches will tell you to go back to the basics, they way you were coached year after year. That has either not happened, or it has and he isn't believing or listening.

All this being said...It's not that bad and easily fixable IMO...The team needs to decide to fix it. The Coaches need to find ways for Rivers to succedd. The OL needs to step up and give him time and Rivers needs to find that glory he has had at every level he has played at.

TBF

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Not only line play but having receivers that know what the hell the QB is reading, especially in this Zampese style offense.

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Next season, Rivers will be in his third season and we'll have a better coach.

NUFF SAID!!! :bolt:

11. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Matilack you are completely correct. This is a post filled with accurate information. The posts following about O-line and everything else is hogwash.

He has no pocket because he doesn't stay in it. He leaks backwards right into the outside rushers. He should take a few steps back towards the line of scrimmage after his drop and get into the pocket. Instead he usually takes a few more baby steps back away from the line of scrimmage or towards the sideline. He doesn't have a feel where the rushers are and where they are heading.

There is no pocket because the lineman don't know where their QB is, because he is not where he is suppose to be.

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Zactly! The religion of BEEF is born again!

13. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl: The bot returneth.

14. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Bring back the Bot. Miss that guy.

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We don't know that yet. It's normal for a coach in Norval's position not to take any abuse from above-unless you're the Raiduhs. That can only make things worse. The season has to play out since changing horses "in mid stream" never has worked in any scenario that I can remember. We finish strong and go deep into the playoffs then Norval earns his spurs. Otherwise he earns a vacation. Whether he gets it or not is nothing but idle speculation. We're on a hunt. Now we find out if we have a basset hound to flush small game or a wolf hound to get the predators. Lot's of other teams have nutted up in similar situations and others have called for their mommies. Me, I'm going to grab some bubbly and either cheer or curse myself horse. I might opt for Martinis, but then I would probably collapse in the fourth quarter and not make with the positive waves, maaaan.

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    C'mon isnt is tradition to give up on players at the drop of a hat? ;)

17. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Say what you want about the dude's pocket presence. But I can say this for the kid... he's tough as nails. I tend to think his misfires are more the result of his courage to hang in the pocket (when there is one) and take the hit while trying to get the ball off to his receiver.

He's made many poor decisions, but I think he has the guts to get through this part of his career and improve a lot.

I'm backing the kid

• Like Like x 1
  18. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    **** fire and save matches, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who seen this. :tup:

19. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Having the O-Line playing good helps. The running game has suffered as well because of the O-Line.:tdown:

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That's enough outta you. :icon_tease:

Hey, I know. Let's just give up on the coaches, team, FO, the Spanos family .... what the heck.

Maybe a move to another city will fix the problems. :tdown:

21. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    You know what a tradition around here is. Taking everyone's posts to the extreme and not reading what is actually written.

If you say Rivers has poor mechanics or poor pocket presence then you are a hater or have given up on the guy. I have simply pointed out he has poor mechanics and pocket presence and the rest is your imagination. In this case all the video evidence pretty undeniable supports the assertions.

Fully agree the guy is tough, smart, shows real leadership, and has always found ways to win in career. He has great intangibiles. I am pulling for the guy as I pull for all Bolts to do well.

Young players, especially QBs and WRs, need time to adjust to the league, we all know that. Fouts and Elway are the best examples.

But hanestly I am not so optimistic on Rivers or VJ. Why? Their basic methods they use to do their jobs are so unconventional and are in so much need of re-coaching in addition to the game experience they need that their breakout years may come in their 5th or 6th year or perhaps not at all. I would love to be wrong on these guys but I think both of them will be very later bloomers and inconsistent performers in the meantime.

22. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    QFT

BEEF.

It's what's for blocking.

I'm gonna have so much fun making fun of all you crybabies doubting the Chosen One. His time will come and all you who doubted will be judged and punished for your sins and blasphemous posts.

23. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    In the words of Chesty B Puller "All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time."
    Philip has had very little Pocket within which to have presence to work. :tup:

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

QFT :yes:

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Walk a mile in his cleats.

26. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Trade Rivers for Gus Frerotte

27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Another Canadian concession, to weak to fight so let's just do something easy.

28. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :lol:

nice BUMP!!!

29. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Rivers is not in need of recoaching. He showed today what he was talking about when he said he's getting better as a QB. He was accurate, on-time, he looked off the safeties and he threw it away when he needed to.

Rivers went to the Pro Bowl in his first year as a starter. How does that equate to a "late-bloomer?" He's already bloomed. Sure, he's had some bumps in the road, as most young players do, but at this point in his career he's putting up better numbers than Fouts, Brady or Elway did when they were 26. Rivers is 20-7 as a starter.

Oh, and VJ didn't have a bad game either.