1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers hates to lose, even in practice

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    QB enters second season as starter and is determined to play even better

By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

August 21, 2007

The defense was getting the better of the offense for a stretch in practice yesterday, and the defense is not shy about making that type of supremacy known.

Philip Rivers was practically spitting. If he ever said bad words, then would have been a time he might have used one or two. When an official's call went against the offense, Rivers was among the offensive players screaming, genuinely fuming.
    “The only way I can put it is hating to lose,” Rivers said after practice. “I was always told, 'Everyone wants to win. But how bad do you hate to lose?' ”
    It is that hatred that empowers a man can who completed just 5-of-20 passes for 92 yards through three quarters on Christmas Eve in Seattle to then in the final quarter complete 5-of-10 passes for 81 yards, three first downs and a game-winning touchdown with 29 seconds remaining.
    It is how he throws just one fourth-quarter interception in an entire season. It is how during a five-game stretch in which he had the league's lowest completion percentage, his fourth-quarter passer rating was still 89.4, he still threw just three interceptions in those 20 quarters and his team didn't lose even once.
    “I just hate to lose,” Rivers said again and again yesterday afternoon.
    It is that trait that seems to guarantee much more emphatically than any statistic that Rivers is unlikely to endure a sophomore slump.
    There is also the fact that after an offseason spent mostly rehabbing a sprained foot (he was not 100 percent until June) Rivers is having an excellent August.
    He completed nine of his 13 passes for 82 yards Saturday at St. Louis and has yet to throw an interception or even a bad pass this preseason. As was the case most of 2006, his incompletions so far this offseason were in the right places – either catchable or purposely out of reach.
    He was all but perfect in the preseason opener, his only incompletions in seven passes being a throw to Buster Davis on the sideline that Davis was bobbling as he went out of bounds and a strike that bounced off Malcom Floyd's chest.
    And so it is that Rivers has gone from obsessed over to taken for granted, a result not only of how well last season went but a sign of how well he is playing now.
    Last summer, it was all Rivers all the time in coverage of the Chargers. Now, he's just here.
    “The whole thing is different,” Rivers said. “Last year in the preseason I was trying to find out for sure that I could be the guy. I feel a lot more comfortable.”
    Still, he wrote in his notebook yesterday a couple of things he wants to work on – having to do with taking more available checkdowns in certain situations and staying firm in the pocket. He spoke of mistakes that go unnoticed by the masses. He wants the first quarter to be as good as the fourth. He wants that five-game lull to never be repeated.
    “There are a lot of things I can get better on,” he said. “There are sporadic plays. Maybe they aren't noticed in that they don't cause negative outcomes, which is OK, because it doesn't kill you. But they could hurt you down the road.
    “You watch it on tape and say that was the easiest play. It's the four or five plays a game that nobody notices, but it might have been the completion that could have gotten us a first down and we lose by three, and you say, 'Man that could have been big.' ”
    With that, he started going on about a pass he blew in practice an hour earlier, pantomiming what he did wrong, still struggling to believe he had messed up.
    “It's OK,” he said. “You move on, snap the ball, nobody remembers. But it happened, and you have to fix it.”
    Nuts 'n' Bolts
    [​IMG] Among the players not practicing were nose tackle Brandon McKinney (ankle) and linebacker Matt Wilhelm (calf). McKinney definitely won't play in the final two exhibition games but Wilhelm should be available for the final game Aug. 30. Tight end Antonio Gates (Achilles' tendon), defensive end Igor Olshansky (groin) and linebacker Anthony Waters (knee) rested, while safety Eric Weddle (bruised thighs) participated only in the first part of practice.

[​IMG] The Chargers claimed defensive end Titus Adams off waivers from the New York Giants. The 6-4, 305-pounder was on the Jets' practice squad for most of last season before the Giants signed him with five games remaining. He was inactive for all five games. [​IMG] Coach Norv Turner confirmed running back Tyronne Gross will miss the season with a dislocated kneecap that will require surgery.

2. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I'll be brief. Rivers will soon be reminding us of Fouts. He will, eventually, be chasing Marino. He will hit well over 4,000 yrds. this season, punk the Raiders twice, punk the ponies once and merely break their hearts the second time, bury KC and open the season 2-0, and in the process, make the Pats wish they'd been good little boy's after the playoff game. He will be the catalyst that generates the early rise of Craig Davis, establish VJ and Malcolm as solid receivers and hand Gates a ticket to immortality. That being said, I've decided to sway the yards, so they're under the sun.

:icon_toast: :icon_toast: :icon_toast:

3. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    soooo your saying we should've kept brees?

4. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    The Chargers will beat the Raiders twice beat the Broncos twice beat the Chiefs twice and beat the Patriots twice...:bolt: :yes: :tup:

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Fouts and Rivers have certainly one thing in common. When they run, they look like a bear on its hind legs running. It is not pretty and un-natural.

6. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I think Rivers wins that race .. I just remember that video of him out running Merriman last year.

7. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Well, my guess is that if Fouts had Merriman chasing him in camp 30 years ago, he'd set a new world record in the 100 meter dash.

:lol: :bolt:

8. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    No way! Because he probably would have tripped from the center stepping on his foot .. :lol:

9. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    psh, if merriman was chasing after ME, id be running until i get a mile ahead of him.

10. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    That's not fair to Rivers, Fouts couldn't scramble away from a marching band.
    I'm one who doesn't care if we play the Patriots in the post season. In fact I'd rather see them implode Raider-like during the regular season, the uglier the better.

• Like Like x 1
  11. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Well, so far there has been some panic I've heard about because of lack of defense by the Patriots this preseason .. then again, it is just preseason .. :icon_toast:

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    That was part of the equation when I made the comparison. At least his legs aren't as spindly and he looks less out of place in a football uniform than Fouts. He used to give me a chuckle because I couldn't figure out how a guy who looked like he had to hobble to the fridge could be the best pure QB in the NFL when he played.