1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers having dazzling camp after lightning-fast recovery

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Aug 2, 2008.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    link

Chargers QB Philip Rivers is proving to be something of a modern medical marvel. After playing through a torn ACL during last season’s playoff run, Rivers underwent surgery to repair the ligament — a procedure that was supposed to require a six-month recovery period. This timetable would’ve kept him out through at least July, but, amazingly, the quarterback was already back on the field for minicamp in May. Now, we hear that Rivers is having his best training camp yet, throwing the ball harder and more accurately than he ever had. He has also added muscle and appears to be in tremendous physical shape. And although he’s wearing a brace on his surgically repaired knee, he isn’t showing any lingering effects from the operation. To think, all this just months after a serious surgery that threatened to sideline Rivers into the regular season. Given the fact that San Diego’s receiving corps is also in the midst of a terrific training camp, the fifth-year signalcaller looks set to have a breakout campaign as he leads the Bolts toward what would appear to be a realistic run at the Super Bowl.

:tup:

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Nice. Thanks, sdb. :tup:

I'll always love LT & feel that he's a leader on this ball club. It will be a sad day for me when he's no longer a Charger. :icon_sad:

But the torch has passed. PR has taken the mantle of leadership for this team & has earned the respect of the organization. He's shown his courage & poise, now he's moving into the zone where he needs to be in order to bring us a championship. Hard work & courage - he's loaded to the gills with it.

This is OUR year. Make no mistake - nothing will be handed to this team. We have to seize it, rip it from the hands of our opponents. This team has that potential & this year it will be realized.

Lombardi or Bust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :abq2: :abq1: :abq2:

• Like Like x 2
  3. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Here is another piece on Rivers;

link

Chargers being cautious as Rivers returns from knee surgery
    Associated Press

[​IMG]

Philip Rivers was injured in the upset win over the Colts in the divisional round, but still played in the AFC Championship Game a week later against the Patriots.

SAN DIEGO -- San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers, who is rebounding from a significant offseason knee surgery, missed a morning practice Friday but returned for the afternoon workout.

"We kind of planned this earlier in the week," coach Norv Turner said. "Thursday we (practiced) once. He'll go one today and one tomorrow and then Sunday is a day off. So it's pretty good for him to get some rest."

Rivers has missed few reps at training camp since having the ACL in his right knee repaired in the offseason. Rivers played with the torn ACL in San Diego's loss to the New England Patriots in the AFC championship game last season.

He has amazed teammates and coaches by how quickly he has mended.

"I've been going full go now for over a month," Rivers said. "There's nothing I can't do. To be honest with you, there are times throughout the day when I can't tell which knee I hurt."

Rivers said he is aware he must be cautious, with the regular-season opener about five weeks away.

"It needs to continue to get stronger throughout the season," said Rivers, who threw 21 touchdowns and 15 interceptions last season. "But I really feel better health-wise than I could ever hope for at this point."

Tight end Antonio Gates isn't practicing yet after offseason toe surgery, but Turner is pleased with the strides Gates has made.

"Every day he's doing a little bit more, getting better," Turner said. "Our plan is to have him ready for the opening game."

The Chargers, the defending AFC West champions, open the season Sept. 7 against the visiting Carolina Panthers.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Repped!! You got me pumped up!!:abq2::abq2::abq1::abq1:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    My boy has more midiclorians than the rest of the team combined. He doesn't even need the brace really, he's just wearing it so people don't start wondering about his awesome Wolverine like healing abilities, and try to subject him to some super secret government weapons testing program.

He has looked impressive both times i saw them practice this week. Super accurate.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Nice article. Thanks SDB!!!! :tup:

7. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135

8. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I guess we are all shocked how fast Philip has recovered. These types of injuries used to be career-threatening not too long ago, and Philip is good to go, well before the preseason games start. Amazing.

We needed Rivers to be back, he has to improve on the chemistry with our wideouts. Gotta be prepared the potential of life without Gates for awhile.

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Philip Rivers is chemo for the suck we have had @ QB since Humphries left.

10. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I think what helped a lot in his quick recovery was the surgery he had before the AFCCG to allow him to even play with the injury.

:yes::tup:

11. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Rivers is also buffed. The main criticism of him by the NFl Sports Machine talking heads was arm strength. Not this year.

12. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    they didnt just operate on his knee, they redid him altogether.

ladies and gentlemen, the $40,000,000 Man. they rebuilt him with a terminator complex in mind, hes bionic baby.

13. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Wolverine healing factor. Nice.:yes: Phillip Rivers is weapon X!