1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers' honesty refreshing, but many don't want to hear it

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by HollywoodLeo, Jan 16, 2008.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    http://cbs.sportsline.com/columns/story/10580644

Click the link for the rest.

• Like Like x 1
  2. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
  3. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +684
    Bout frigging time someone wrote an article about what is really up with Rivers.

4. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Good stuff...

Another example: We are pissed about all the 'hate' that is being written, so upset that we have a new slogan! Now this crap comes along and give us some love!?! How does he think he is, he is suposed to hate on us so we have more ammo for the slogan! Stupid writer giving us love.

:lol:

5. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Some interesting quotes from the article:

"In sum, fans who taunt an injured player are OK. Injured player who taunts back is not. That's not the logic of a rational person. That's the logic of a message board gone haywire. "

"If you want veneer, look elsewhere. Rivers isn't dating supermodels like Tom Brady or starlets like Tony Romo (Rivers was married and a father in college). He's not running the 40-yard dash in 4.4 seconds or killing dogs like Michael Vick. He's not crediting God for his team's victories like Jon Kitna. He's not a boring drone like Carson Palmer. He's not Matt Hasselbeck who seems like Damon Huard who seems like Matt Schaub.

Philip Rivers isn't like any of them. You know who he's like? He's kind of like us.

Maybe that's the problem."

6. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Excellent read!

7. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    great read !:flag:

8. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    It is about time somebody got an effing grip on this and the writer apparently "gets it".

I am surprised some of you follow what the media spews and formulate all this negative crap about Rivers. It is embarassing seeing fans being led by their proverbials by media morons.

9. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Get the needle and get him in this game. :yes:

10. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Refreshing take. Thanks.

11. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +349
    Interesting spin... I still think he needs to STFU on the sidelines... :lol: say what he wants, when he is on the field!! :abq2:

12. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    It's funny that the people taking up for Rivers are the ones who actually have met with him and spoken to him. All the douchebags who are piling on the guy probably wouldn't even be able to pick him out of a lineup.

13. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Could someone PM me the article?

Stupid work firewall. :unsure:

14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Great article. I love Rivers fire and personality. I've never met the guy but u know what, I get the impression he is a really nice bloke, someone ud like to go for a beer with. It is sad that the media are giving joe public the impression he is something he is patently not. :tdown:

The only thing he doesn't need to do is get into it with 'fans who have had 12 beers'. Norv was correct in that regard, it does him nor anybody associated with him any favors at all. Get into it all you want with opposition players or coaches but the fans, let them make a fool of themselves on their own. :tup:

15. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    The thing that baffles me are the comparison to Ryan Leaf. Seriously, are people that stupid?

Ryan Leaf didn't give a crap when he was on the field and was a total jerk off it.

Philip Rivers is a demon on the field and a total gentleman off it.

Honestly, Rivers and Leaf couldn't be more opposite. BUT... there's sort of kind of a physical resemblance there, and I guess that's enough for the mentally-challenged to draw a correlation.

16. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Damn good article man. I mean I wish PR would tone it down, but it's just how he is. Hell, he doesn't even use 4 letter words when he talks smack. That is HARD to do! I mean the Indy fans were all flippin him off, we all saw that. I myself wouldn't pay them any mind but PR is different. Hell, if he's winning and playing the way he is, he can do whatever the heck he wants. Winning changes everything.

17. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    Good read...thanks.

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Good articla and thanks for posting it. I don't care what the national media writes or says about Philip, it's the Charger fans who shoot their mouth off like they deserve to take a shot at the guy. How sad.

19. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Great read. Congrats to the writer. And trumpy is right. Never ever trust the media. For that matter never trust anyone of supposed authority. Ask yourself why is this person telling me how to think. Think for yourself.

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Like I keep saying... "LET RIVERS BE RIVERS!!!!" :bolt: :tup:

21. bucnasty

bucnasty BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Sportscenter is pissing me off - the last couple days all they are talking about is Chargers running their mouths, including Rivers in the Denver and Oakland games. They arent talking about the matchup, its like they assume we're getting our asses handed to us, and they jump on things like Rivers talking just cuz its out of the norm. Great article, I'm passing it along.

22. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I have met Philip Rivers and he was one of the nicest and down to Earth "famous person" I've ever met.

He's just a dude you want on your side, a dude you'd happily go into battle with and lay down your life for. That's why his teammates love him so much and the media can go fuk themselves.

Great article, thatks for posting it Leo!

23. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    So called Chargers fans need to STFU and get off the dudes back. How can the guy "trash talk" if he isn't cursing or putting anyone down??

24. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    It's funny that they never say anything negative about Favre yelling at his teammates on the sidelines.. Oh wait, that is "veteran leadership" .. my bad.

25. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Dudes, PR is a gangster who doesn't take crap from anybody. He doesn't pick fights, but he also doesn't lay down and play dead. LONG LIVE PHILIP RIVERS!!!

26. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Sports journalists and talking heads, especially the talking heads, at the national level are journalists second and trouble makers first. Jim Rome, M and M, et al are around to do controversy and stir emotions while they pimp ratings. The ex jocks on the air are fine as analysts of on the field action, but they stink when they have to deal with issues or individuals-for the most part. Journalism in general is at its lowest ebb since the days of the Hearst Yellow Press.

27. NW Bolt Babe

NW Bolt Babe RIP Jr.

Ratings:
    +94
    Great read! ESPN was trashing PR and Igor all day long. Never mind they're playing the *Patriots, proven cheaters. And gee, what about those idiot Colt fans booing that 14 year old girl on the field? These are the same fans who were taunting PR. They get a pass?

Nothing is just in the world of media, eh?

28. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    I am so HAPPY Philip Rivers is our QB. He makes me proud to be a Charger Fan! More Power To You Philip!:bolt::abq2:

29. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Philip Rivers is who he is, he plays the game the way it should be played with heart and emotion, Jeesh, the guy talks some and is fiery and that justifies all this media hype, I mean really its not like dude flipped out and whipped his dick out, or started a fire on the field, or shanked someone....

yeah that kind of off the wall craziness would justify the rep but really though' he is just talking he isn't the first or last to do it...

All in all he isn't being profane or disrespectful just playing the game after all thats all it is A GAME. This is just another example of the sensationalist media that creates false perceptions that to the vastly dumb public become reality.

He is a man that has his faith and family and team as his priority, the media only takes the time to mention him when their jaws get sore from sucking off the patsies and their tarnished accomplishments. I like many others was hard on him when things were bad but have to give the man credit.

Go RIVERS talk your talk, these Bolts can walk the walk so why not?!

:abq2:

30. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Check his win record.....He can talk all he wants....remember Cincy? "They'll need more than 28 points to win...":abq2: