1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers hope to keep hot hand

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006

Casey Pearce
    Posted Nov 20, 2009
    Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers has had his share of success against the Broncos and would love to build on it Sunday.

Earlier this week, Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers[​IMG] called Denver one of his favorite road venues to play in.

“I do enjoy going there to play,” Rivers said. “I think it’s a great atmosphere. It’s a great place to play. The games are always very meaningful. Denver and us have been battling for the division just about every year the past few. It’s always fun to go back there and play and you want to play at a high level.”

His numbers show just how much he enjoys it. Last year, he threw for a then career-high 377 yards and three touchdowns against the Broncos and would have improved his record to 3-0 at Invesco Field were it not for “The Call.”

Rivers’ success against the Broncos hasn’t been limited to the road. He’s 5-2 as a starter against Denver, and on Friday USA Today pointed out an interesting statistic. Among quarterbacks who have attempted at least 200 passes versus the Broncos, Rivers has the highest passer rating against them. His 110.7 rating (13 touchdowns, four interceptions) is more than 15 points higher than Len Dawson’s 95.3.

Earlier this week, Broncos Head Coach Josh McDaniels said that Rivers is “in my opinion as good as any in the league.” During his time with the Patriots, McDaniels saw Rivers several times. His respect for him has only grown now that he’s a division foe.

“I always appreciated him and respected him because of the way he plays, his toughness, the talents and abilities that he has,” McDaniels said. “From afar I could tell that he’s a very valuable leader. Now having had the opportunity to game plan against him, prepare for him and now do it again a second time, my appreciation grows and grows each time I watch him.”

Clary questionable

Chargers right tackle Jeromey Clary[​IMG] (ankle) practiced Friday for the first time this week. He was limited and is questionable.

“It’ll be a Sunday decision,” Head Coach Norv Turner said.

If Clary is unable to play, Brandyn Dombrowski[​IMG] will start in his place. Dombrowski started at right guard in two games earlier this season.

Aside from Clary, the Chargers list defensive tackle Ogemdi Nwagbuo[​IMG] (ankle) as questionable. Linebacker Tim Dobbins[​IMG] is probable to return from a knee injury that’s kept him out for two weeks.

For the Broncos, quarterback Kyle Orton (ankle) missed a third-consecutive day of practice and is questionable.

“We’ll continue working with him and hopefully he’ll be ready to go on Sunday,” McDaniels said.

Veteran Chris Simms will make his first Broncos start if Orton is unavailable.

Big Challenge
    Denver’s pressure defense played a key role in their Week 6 win over the Chargers as they sacked Rivers five times that night. San Diego’s pass protection has been much better of late, having allowed just five sacks in their last 126 drop backs.

The Broncos are tied for second in the NFL with 29 sacks on the season, and linebacker Elvis Dumervil leads the league with 12.

“I get fired up when I play Elvis,” offensive tackle McNeill said. “He’s a great player and we know as an offensive line, both sides have to bring their A game. He’s coming all day. We’ve got to make sure we handle him.”

Dumervil had two sacks in the Week 6 game against the Chargers.

Familiar voices

Dick Enberg and Chargers Hall of Famer Dan Fouts will call Sunday’s game for CBS. It’s the fifth time this season they’ve covered the Chargers. They’re also scheduled to do next week’s home game against the Chiefs.

Prior to next week’s game, Fouts will be honored as part of the Greatest Chargers, and Enberg will serve as the emcee at the team’s 50th Anniversary Block Party. The Block Party will be the biggest football tailgate party of the year and will take from 5-11 pm. Upon entering the Block Party at 5th and J Streets, guests will be treated to a strong musical lineup, including the pop group Fountains of Wayne, as well as an assortment of food and beverages options.
    Tickets are $35 and can be purchased by clicking here. Fans must be at least 21 years old to attend the Block Party.
    Tickets available
    Fans are reminded that approximately roughly 7,100 tickets remain available for the Chargers’ Nov. 29 contest against the Kansas City Chiefs. The Greatest Chargers will be honored prior to the game as the Chargers celebrate their 50th Anniversary Weekend.
    Tickets are available now at the Chargers’ ticket office at Gate C at Qualcomm Stadium, at www.Chargers.com and through TicketMaster at 800-745-3000.
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

I BELIEVE!!!!!!!

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2006
    :deadhorse: IN RIVERS WE TRUST :deadhorse2: KILL THE DONKEYS :icon_rofl: