1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers is correct

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Oct 24, 2011.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
  2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    River's should call his own plays.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Maybe then, most of us wouldn't be able to predict the plays from our coaches. Norv is far from being the offensive genius that the Chargers have tried to sell us on.

4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    yes he should!

5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I think Norv has been reading some 13X play books.

6. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    OH NO, not the thunder hammer????????

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Rivers should call his own plays?

SERIOUSLY!

He cant even run a two minute offense right now, let him get that before you hand him the reigns!

8. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I guess the coaching staff burning of 40 seconds off the clock is the right way to go. It looked like they were calling the wrong play for the personnel package on the field.

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Coaching staff...

RIVERS was changing the play in the 2 minute drill! RIVERS! He was calling an audible! Rivers stunk on ice in his management of the 2 minute drill. Stop looking for skirts to hide your boy behind. Something some of you need to learn is coach coach, players execute!

Rivers failed in his execution yesterday. Man up and admit it.

10. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Rivers had to audible out of the called play, why? because the wrong personnel were on the field for the called play. I'm starting to think Norv gets so far ahead of himself he forgets whose on the field and what play to run. By the way I have said constantly this year that River's is sucking, there is no way to hide that. Either the boy forgot how to play ball or something else is wrong, I'll go with the latter.

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Bull crap! Wrong personnel on the field? Seriously?! That is such a stretch in defense of your boy it is a joke! So what play did Norv call? What alignment was the defense in? How much TIME DID RIVERS WASTE AUBILING IN THAT SITUATION! There is only ONE of those questions you can answer, the rest of your hypothesis is pulled out of your back side.

Rivers wasted a lot of time. He did not manage the 2 minute drill and played like crap the whole second half. Sorry if that hurts but it is accurate. Blame the coaches, ball boys and bus drivers all you want. It does not change the fact, nor does your making up situations.

Rivers' 9 ints on the year is a very telling stat. It tells us he is not playing to his normal levels. Unless you are going to argue that Norv called the play to pass to the opposition!

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Pretty sure he said "If we would have played". So he is taking blame also, but that doesn't mean that Norv is off the hook with his terrible play calling and game planning the entire 2nd half of both of the last 2 games

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Dude, you know that he was audibling just as much as everyone know what plays were called. You want to get one people for defending Rivers (Who shouldn't be defended) while at the same time defending Norv. Sorry, but neither of them are off the hook and both are to blame for this loss

• Like Like x 1
  14. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Dude, you need to chillax and take those blue and gold shades off. I don't see it anywhere that I'm taking up for River's and I've been on it since game one. Just what part of it starts with the player's and goes up from there, that you don't understand?

River's has looked terrible all year and I've been asking whats wrong with him. When I seen him pointing at guys and telling them where to line up after the huddle, yes, I wonder what in hell is going on. Not only when River's looks confused but his teammates do as well, it is legitimate to ask what's going on. Like I said it starts with the player's and goes up from there.

If I'm not mistaken in the situation the Bolt's were in you clear the underneath passing routes and go for the sideline with no time out's. Where in hell was the 10 - 15 yard outs??? with the wide out running down field??? How in hell can the Jet's seemingly cover all the eligible receivers and leave absolutely nowhere to throw?????? Something is wrong and if you can't see that we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm calling it as I see and the Bolt's flat out stink and I am questioning it.

15. SD Charger Fans in Austin

SD Charger Fans in Austin BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    I am not so sure about that. Did you not see how he ran that 2 minute offense yesterday. That was an embarrassment, especially coming from a veteran offense.

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    And how much of that was him calling the plays and how much was it Norv calling the plays? None of us know. What we do know is they looked terrible and both Norv and Rivers deserve blame for this one

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Who is taking the blame? Hex. Not hardly.

Rivers... Correct. Keep up with the conversation. This is about whether or not Rivers should be calling his own plays.

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Wow... You cant tell when a QB is audibling? Ok, let me educate you. When the offense lines up, and the the QB looks around and then starts yelling at players, then they move and shift alignment (taking time), that is the tell tale signs of an audible. Are you clear on that?

That is what Rivers did in the 2 minute drill. Wasted time. Threw balls to RM right in front of the defender in the middle of the field, and on 4th down threw the ball out of bounds. That is piss poor 2 minute offense management.

And DB, lets not be over dramatic. I am not 'getting' anyone, maybe that childish crap is why you are here, it is not why I am here. Hex feels Rivers should be calling his own plays. I feel he needs to be able to manage a 2 minute drill before he calls his own plays.

Before you rant on, I will tell you why. A hurry up/call your own play offense is essentially the 2 minute drill for the majority of the 60 minutes. Why ask Rivers to do something that he has not been very good at for about a year now...?

19. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Cool the Jets guys (pardon the pun). I'm not even sure what this thread is about anymore. Both Rivers and Norv can carry the can for yesterday and alot of this year frankly. Now let's move on, fix it and go to KC.

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    KC just got six ints vs. the Raiders. I am officially worried about Rivers against this secondary. I still love Rivers, but he has things he needs to fix before we go all Peyton Manning on him.

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    No, Rivers took the blame when he said WE!!!! Rivers calling his own plays is not a smart idea, but neither is Norv calling the plays.

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Audibling, and telling a bunch of lost players where they are supposed to be, are 2 different things.

Nice try though. Rivers was terrible in that 2 min drill, as was the play calling that he received from the coaches (NORV). You can try and take Norv off the hook all you want, but you aret he only one that believes what you are saying. He may be calling the plays in the 2 mins drill, but he is calling them based on what he is told to call by Norv as they do their game planning all week. Don't act like Rivers is Payton Manning and just has free will to do what ever he wants. He does what Norv's game plan calls for, which has failed over and over again

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Ok, so no Rivers calling plays, No Norv calling plays. Who will, you? Shall we have fans Twitter in plays for AJ to select? C'mon...

Rivers is not ready, and that worries me a lot. Norv is doing a decent job calling plays or the O would not be performing as it does. Players need to make the plays. I think Norv need to start chewing some hineys and kicking over some chairs.

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yeah that always works. Just ask Mike Singletary. :rolleyes:

25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    If I knew the answer, I would be on the payroll. What I do know is that what we have seen for the last 4 years, is NOT the answer.

Norv has done well in the 1st half, but he has been terrible in the 2nd half. This team has had a hard time putting together 4 complete quarters of football since the day Norv was hire, and at time before then (I couldn't stand Marty either FYI). Blame it on the players, blame it on the play calling, blame it on the execution, it really doesn't matter. This team has failed to perform consistently since the day Norv was hired

26. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Rivers has no business calling his own plays...right now.
    The 2 minute drill train wreck from yesterday stands as the most
    current evidence of that.
    So we ask ourselves now, "Why does Rivers suck at calling his own plays (audibles) and the 2 minute drill?"
    Possible answers:
    1. Rivers isn't a smart quarterback, he has no confidence in doing that kind of stuff.
    2. Rivers doesn't practice calling audibles or the 2 minute drill enough.
    3. In a game, Rivers isn't given the option to call any plays (a.k.a. Norv demands complete control of the play-calling)
    4. Rivers has an injury that the team is hiding which causes his mind to focus on the injury and detracts from his game
    focus.
    I'd have to go with a combination of 2 and 3.
    Maybe if he was taught to run a hurry-up offense during practice, this could translate in the ability to do it during a game.
    Is he not being taught to run a hurry-up in practice? Is he being taught the skill, but come game-time, he's strongly urged
    to do as the coach says and discouraged from attempting to audible? I find this difficult to believe since there would be no
    reason to teach something to a player and then have that player not be able to use it during a game.
    Rivers has not looked good all year. Is there another reason why he's looked uncomfortable out there? Has he been castrated
    as some Charger fans believe?
    Something stinks in Denmark and Charger Park.

• Like Like x 1
  27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Who was it a few years ago that said when they played for Norv, that the team hardly ever practiced the 2 mins drill?

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    So you are saying that our offensive players do not know where to be for a play? That is perhaps a bigger condeming factor that Rivers changing a play in a 2 minute drill.

What try? I am telling you my opinion, if you cant handle it too bad. There is no try. You can put your Norv hate blinders on and say what you want, but it just makes you like a street, one way.

Then we are in agreement. Rivers executed poorly. Calling pass plays to the center of the field was terrible. Good, we are making head way.

LOL, you really do like the dramatic dont you? I am not taking Norv off anything. He needs to get better. THE WHOLE DAMN TEAM needs to get better. The only one I see saying everything is just one thing is you, Johny X and N4L who can look at the team objectively because is the Gatorade isnt mixed right it is Norvs fault in your view. How can you be objective when you dont look past Norv for anything? I am not one for drama club so lets look at the big picture or end the discussion ok?

You think Norv does not game plan? So the first half was just pure luck? See you eliminate the possibility of the opposition making any adjustments, thus I find your argument in this case laughable.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: Oh hell :roflmao: :roflmao::roflmao: that is good. Did you ever misread what I posted... LOL! man I am saying (repeatedly) that Rivers SHOULD NOT be allowed to call his own plays, he is not ready or possibly capable.

Seriously, if you are not going to read what I am posting dont respond. I have better things to do than banter with you when you are clearly not paying attention.

29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
  30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Tooshy. or 2shay... or what ever... that said, something or someone has to light a fire.