1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers is growing quick.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by !~BOLT~!, Oct 22, 2006.

1. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    thats one good thing i take out of today, yes we self destructed and showed the inablility to stop huard of all people and the chiefs offense, but rivers kept his poise and looked like a vet.

I guess you cant expect a first year starter to pull these types of wins out but he almost did. bad calls yes, was lt's fumble actually recovered i don't know but don't think so. and yes the injury bug is having its way with us.

all we need to do is string some wins together until phillips and igor return, theyll be revamped for sure!!!

• Like Like x 2
  2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Rivers has been playing like a seasoned vet, and he's getting better. Already I see him as a better leader than both Rothlisberger and Sheli.

Now were going to need the offense to take it up a notch with our defense reeling.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah. Who would have thought that before the season started, that our defense would be the one in trouble, and our offense is actually clicking for the most part?

4. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    its all in his hands now for at least 4-6 games...

5. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    more like who wouldve thought itd go from what appeared to be our year to , it's just not the chargers year so quick.

i still believe but damn what a hit we took today fuq.

6. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah, a loss, 2 players gone for a month, and the fuggin Broncos have sole possession of the division.

:icon_evil: :tdown:

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I've been quite impressed with Rivers!

• Like Like x 1
  8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Me too, but who cares right now. We cant tackle with Merriman and Phillips and Olshansky, we definantly wont tackle without them.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    We left a win out on the field today, the effort was there by the offense but the D couldn't make a stand when it needed too. now, inlight of the roid's new's this team needs to do a gut check and find a way to win no matter what.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Effort was there by the O. But they have their share of the L to carry. Bad passes by Rivers early, the int, LTs fumble, not converting on third downs. They dont get a free pass from me.

We need Wade to start figuring out how to cover damn TEs as well.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Which OLB was responsible for coverage against Tony G in our 3-4 set yesterday? Was that Phillips? Looks like his replacement blew it big time. I did notice that after Shaun Phillips left with the injury, Tony G was often open for passes.

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    When I read the title of this thread I thought "Rivers is juicing" :lol:

13. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    this loss hurt just as bad as the worst of them (no moral victories or any of that ****) but I was impressed by how Rivers was able to rally the team behind him and almost pull out a great victory:tup: , I was actually thinking of last week's giants board where they said that Rivers haden't brought his team back and thinking Rivers will do it, sucks that the D played like crap and let the chiefs move 47 yards in 27 seconds :icon_evil:

14. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Yah the young guy picked his but up after a crappy first quarter and managed to almost do the impossible. Come from behind in Arrowhead. Just goes to show you he can keep it going even when his back is to the wall. 3 turnovers in the first quarter were atrocious, but make no mistake, we lost this one on Defense.

• Like Like x 1
  15. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    THANK YOU FOR STARTING A POSITIVE THREAD!

I am so deeply disapointed by this weekends loss. Everyone on this board knows the reasons that contributed to the final score of yesterdays game. So I will spare myself and the rest of you another whining or screaming thread about what's wrong and how we're going to fix it, blah, blah, blah. The game is over... and I'll abide 24 hours of complaining and expect ya'll to pick your f'ing heads up. I am the faithful and will NEVER give up hope!

Philip looked solid. The fumble sucked, the INT didn't help, but the kid dealt with adversity the only way you can... He walked back out on the field and played his game. He didn't get conservative or play scared, he just rolled back out on to the field and did his thing. I like this kid more and more every weekend. We are incredibly fortunate to have an organization that recognized Rivers' potential three years ago. The loss was heartbreaking, but such is life in the NFL.

16. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    After the intentional grounding penalty, I have to admit I thought the Arrowhead meltdown was well-and-truly under way. I was very impressed with how well he played in the second half.

17. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    The loss wastough, no doubt. Losing Phillips, Igor and now Merriman is a real gut check for us. Don't forget, people make choices, good and bad. Either way, you live with the choices you make. Hopefully, this is a wake-up call for Merriman and others. I think we've got the nads to bounce back.

18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Philip had that one funky play where he ran a few step forward then turn and leaped and shot putted the ball back to LT.

I was wondering WTF was that ? :icon_rofl:

19. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Yeah that $hit was pretty silly... But if I recall correctly I think it actually went for a gain of a couple.

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Yeah it did but it looked like something you would see in a sandlot football game with old fat retired slobs. :lol:

21. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    Great thread. Ill rep ya for it, because I totally agree.... Rivers is money. This kid is going to be a superstar sooner rather than later. I have seen soooo many Bolt QBs make a mistake or two in KC, and just crumble apart.... but the Rivers rose yo! Kid is a champ.

• Like Like x 1
  22. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886

I never said the O didn't puc up, they did and they came back and put us in position to win. When counted on most, our D took a holiday and vanished. One stop on one scoring drive and we are talking about a great come from behind win. Spin it anyway you wish, I saw an offense comeback and tie the game, they did their jobs. I know, I know you can't give up 3 TO's, well we did and we came back, our defense sucked big time when most needed. Thats how i see it and i'm sticking to it.:bolt: :icon_toast:

23. Chargers Fan

Chargers Fan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

The bad: We knew Philip was a "virtual rookie" and would endure some growing pains. Those growing pains really hurt in the first quarter of yesterday's game. The Chiefs got into his head early on, and he looked somewhat rushed and slightly panicked throughout much of the game. On more than one occasion it looked like Philip was all too quickly willing to just get rid of the ball or eat it when he might have created an opportunity instead. And the Chiefs deserve credit for forcing those rushed passes -- they obviously set out to create a lot of pressure and that's just what they did. Early on, it worked.

The ugly: The early turnovers eventually did prove too much for the team to completely overcome. Those turnovers came in our own territory too...

The good: Even though it was a loss, Rivers did show that he can lead a team from (way) behind and put them back into the game. While he may have been a little ansty on individual plays, overall he never lost his cool or focus on trying to score one drive at a time. He showed maturity and leadership qualities in this loss that will serve him well over the span of his career.

24. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I have a feeling we're going to see wierd stuff like that on a fairly regular basis. Phillip is known as a guy who can make something out of nothing.

• Like Like x 3
  25. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I read that about him as well and that play was certainly different.

26. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    i totally agree,he has really suprized me this year, he is going to be something great

27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886

Philip does look a bit funky when improvising but what the hell if it works.:bolt:

28. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    With Rivers at QB I never felt like were out of that game. :bolt:

• Like Like x 2
  29. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    yep i agree with u, i felt the same way:tup:

30. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    If the defense got the ball back one more time at the end of the game, Philip gets his first 4th quater comeback victory.

The kid has game, BIG TIME. He has really stepped into the role as the leader of the offense as we all hoped he would when given the shot and is EXCELLING.

BTW, Philip had me shouting WTF?!!?! on that toss back play. :lol:

• Like Like x 1