1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers Is The Problem & Rivers Will Be The Solution

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltsnow, Nov 20, 2008.

1. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    First and foremost I love Rivers as our QB and wish for no changes. He is our QB and hope that he continues to be.

Now with that said.....He has GOT TO STOP turning the ball over. I'm not going to sit here and battle back and forth and defend the defense because that is a whole seperate issue. I just want to stay on subject of Rivers. Seriously now, how many of his timely turnovers do ya'll think cost us the game? Had he either taken the sack or thrown the ball away, what do you think our record would be right now. Better yet, had Marty still been our coach, how many think that Volek would have QB'd a couple of games, like when Marty pulled Brees when he was turning the ball over so much?

We just can't win games when he is throwing INT's in the redzone. Can't happen! Where I get lost is that Rivers has had pretty decent protection this year and that makes those INT's even more puzzling. He had time to read the field before throwing the pass and it just seems like he is zero'd in so much on one player that he doesn't read his check downs. I can't count enough times he would throw a bad pass into tight coverage when LT was open on the flat with no one 10 yards from him. As good as a QB that Rivers is, personally I feel that he still has a little more ways to go before becoming a full rounded QB.

2. clontarf_bolt

clontarf_bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +40
    I agree, he's a great QB but at the mo he's struggling and its hard to have confidence in him sometimes

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    It's too bad he's been put in the situation where he has to pitch a perfect game every time out for us to has the slightest chance of winning.

Have the turnovers hurt us? Yes. The pick last week was a horrible read/throw, and the safety was a combo of bad decision by Rivers hold too long and the line getting owned. But, did he give his team the lead with less than 6 minutes left to go in Pittsburg? Yes. And the defense **** the bed once again.

You cannot put it all on Rivers. I'm sorry, but if we had a D we could depend on, it wouldn't come down to one bad throw by the QB. BTW, where the hell are the turnovers for from our D?

4. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I agree with much of what you say but the fact is that even with Rivers int, we were still leading the game 7-5. So how is it that Rivers int cost us the game ? Doesn't make any sense.

Its exactly what RTL said, Rivers has to be perfect for us to win. A single mistake by him "costs" us the game.

All qb's throw ints. Its part of the game. But a single int by Rivers is greatly magnified.

If Kaeding hits the field goal, we win. If Norv calls a quick screen or slant, there would be no safety. Why did Norv call a long pass play downfield when everyone knew that pitt was going to be bringing the house ?

Oh, and how about Jackson catching a pass that hits him right in the hands ?

Everyone is blaming Rivers but the truth is that there is plenty of blame to go around. :icon_sad:

5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +504
    U mean Manu. Someone needs to put a fire under this big guys *** else sit him. He has blocked like a p%$$y all season long. :icon_evil:

6. bronofan

bronofan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Rivers is the best front running QB in the NFL. But if he makes a mistake early in the game his emotions get the best of him and he becomes a horrible QB. When the game is close he is the last QB you want behind center.

Another QB in the AFC West doesn't have a defense either, and has his starting fullback in as his running back. And somehow he is finding ways to win:icon_shrug:

7. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Didn't you already create your own Jay Cutler j'off thread. Why do you have to soil this one, too?

• Like Like x 1
  8. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    ahhahhaha:tup:

9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :lol::lol::lol:

10. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Our defense did not give up a touchdown the whole game. They did there job. When your defense gives up no TD's, I'm sorry but your offense has to help out.....they didn't.

How can you say that a single INT by Rivers is greatly magnified? He turned the ball over in (almost) guaranteed scoring territory. Even if we didn't score the TD the 3 points would have won us the game. But bottom line is, our redzone offense blows this year. Sorry, but the QB's job is to get the ball into the endzone and he is failing miserably doing that this year. Sure you can blame it on Norv not calling the right play, but regardless, Rivers dropped back to pass and gave the ball to the other team. NOT GOOD!

Jackson dropping the ball is just that.....Jackson fault. You are missing the point, Rivers is turning the ball over in these games at the most inoppurtune time. Listen, I love Rivers as much as you do and I think he will be a great QB for our team but he has to learn when to throw a ball and when not to. The INT's inside the redzone where not great plays by the defense. They were stupid passes that never should have been thrown.

I understand that there is plenty of blame to go around but the QB is the one who touches the ball every play (except if your Pennington) and he is the one who has the best chance of making plays and determining if the team wins or loses. He's not the sole reason but a very big part of it.
    :icon_toast::icon_toast::icon_toast:

11. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    The defense did such an awesome job in the second half of the game that the San Diego offense had TWO possessions.

12. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56

If you want to nitpik then let's go this route.....Possession wise we had it 3 times and not for nothing but the Steelers only had it 3 times also and one was on the kickoff starting the second half.

You only support my theory that if we only had teh ball for (i'll use your way of looking at it) 2 possession and our defense only gave up 2 field goals then I think our defense did a good job. Hell, 3 points left on the field by a missed field goal and our offense (Rivers) giving up 2 points. Gee, takeaway the fact that Rivers lost the ball in the endzone and we win 10-9.

13. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    The only way out of this nosedive is to

RUN THE FUC|KING BALL!!!

Thank You,

:yawn:

14. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We have to win the battle in the trenches to do this effectively and we aren't doing that. We aren't doing it on the defensive side of the trench either. We've been cut up by QB's that wilt under pressure but we haven't been able to pressure them. We haven't put big numbers up on teams with mediocre run defenses. That shows up in our horrible red zone production. More than anything, we need to address this problem ASAP this off season, no matter what record we finish with.

15. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Seems to me we should adjust our scheme, adapt our running game to our personnel. Isn't that what the Offensive Coordinator is suppose to do?

You know, what's his name......

:icon_huh:

16. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    How do you adapt to poor line play? If you don't get the other guys off the LOS or open gaps somewhere, the running scheme becomes irrelevant. You really have to be able to shove the other side around some. We did that a lot last year, now third and one or two has become an adventure. Maybe I have old timers disease, but are we not as left handed running this year as we have been in the past?

17. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Winning the line of scrimmage a lot of times comes down to the number of chances you're given. I'm not even gonna get into the defensive woes. But on the offensive side of the ball it takes a commitment to the run to get those big guys rolling. A few big pops up the middle or off tackle and their entire mindset changes. They want to be mean, but it's hard to do when you're constantly pass blocking.

18. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Ed Hochuli blown call.

Martin Gramatica missed field goal.

Kellen Winslow fumble.

Yeah, Cutler's finding a way to win. :icon_rofl:

19. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    You are correct sir!

I guess people think if you just run the ball more, that's the magical formula. If that was the case, everyone would do it. You have to be able to run the ball EFFECTIVELY. LT running up the backs of his blockers doesn't help.

20. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    But then you stick with the run, it goes nowhere, and all the fans are booing. If we pass, people b*tch. If we run, people b*tch. It all comes down to doing whatever, but doing it well. Then we'll all be happy.

21. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    So true

:icon_sad:

Post of the day!

22. bronofan

bronofan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Hochuli:lol: dude we still had to get in the endzone in two plays AND!!!, had to get a 2 point conversion to win. Your team doesn't make plays to win the game. Your team chokes.

There was still 2 minutes left in the game when Gramatica missed and we had 2 time outs.

Dre Bly stripped Kellen Winslow? Are you really trying to go there? Last year you guys forced more turnovers than any team. And you thought it was all Rivers:icon_rofl:

AJ would trade ANY 2 players on your team for Cutler. FACT.

23. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    You mean like when he led the team back from 17 down in your house?

:lol:

24. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    It certainly helps to make those plays when you get a do-over.

Gramatica only had to try the field goal at that point because there was a missed blatant offsides that allowed you guys to get a sack. Otherwise, Brees most likely runs down the clock, maybe scores a TD, or at least gets Gramatica closer.

Hey, you guys are leading the division, good for you. All I am saying is that while you want to fellate Cutler here in our forum, we're going to remind you that he has had A LOT of help.

25. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    He has done nothing that Marty would have pulled him or sat him for somebody else.
    Sure he has had a couple games where he threw an INT late and that sucks but last i checked he gave us the lead in everygame we lost at the end.
    That is'nt his fault.

26. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54

Yeah, if he ever threw a pick six on the road with 9:35 left in the third quarter to go down 24-6 he would run off the field, cause he never would have the chance to come back.

:icon_tease:

27. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    :lol:

Stupid donkey fans.

28. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    omg omg omg - i think i just died laughing - someone call 911 :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

29. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    They're at my house, I called first :lol:

"bronofan"

Ohhh Yuhh Sowaah Stewpeed

[​IMG]

30. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Who's fault was the Int. to Harrison in the Steeler game?
    :icon_shrug: