1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Rivers' "last shot" with the Chargers?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,398
    Rivers facing last shot with Chargers?
    By Tom Krasovic
    8:16 A.M.APRIL 4, 2013

Over at NFL.com, our Kevin Acee created a headline, "Philip Rivers facing last shot with San Diego Chargers?" with his comments to the NFL Network on Wednesday.

Here's what Acee said: "No one will say it, but I think that 2013 is the final audition of Philip Rivers."

Acee bases his assumption on the Chargers' decision not to restructure Rivers' contract this season despite the team's tight salary cap situation.

This is the year that Rivers' contract, renegotiated in 2009, happens to peak in cap value. The $17.11 million, worth 13.9 percent, will drop more than $2 million in 2014. Acee said the Chargers' decision to sit tight on Rivers "speaks volumes."

Rivers, I'm pretty sure, believes he's in "prove it" mode every season. He's acknowledged he had too many turnovers in 2011 and 2012.

Mike McCoy has said learning a new system could create habits for Rivers, leading to better results.

Rivers and the new bosses need to help each other, and have talked excitedly about doing just that. Tom Telesco has imported three offensive linemen and a well-rounded No. 2 or 3 tight end, but more needs to be done up front. The rookie general manager found Rivers a versatile playmaker in running back Danny Woodhead. I'd like to see him bring in a durable pass-catcher, too.

McCoy has talked of using a "quick passing" game -- which would be old hat to the two offensive line coaches he hired -- and said he's open to using the no-huddle. For the first time, Rivers will work with a Chargers coach (Frank Reich) who played in the NFL and grasps the no-huddle.

I've written about the need for Rivers to sharpen his footwork, and concerns that age has eroded, if only slightly, his mobility and arm strength, which were not strengths of his several years ago. What no one can know is to what extent his recent struggles owed to a flimsy offensive line, and the front office's failure to retain or replace several playmakers. For all the challenges, Rivers last year still had a better passer rating than Joe Flacco. I rate him a fair bet to rebound in 2013, if he gets more help. I see potential in the change represented by McCoy, playcaller Ken Whisenhunt and Reich.

I also think Telesco needs to be mindful of the potential windfall that a young quarterback can provide under the new collective bargaining agreement.

2. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    He IS a bitch ;)

3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Well I think this year, with McCoy coming in and Norv out, we won't be playing a vertical game anymore, hence why I've wanted Malcolm Floyd out. And it makes sense, if we can't protect Rivers, you play to your teams strengths. Something Norv lacked to do, adjust to his team.

Guys like Eddie Royal, Vincent Brown, and Ladarius Green are going to excel in this department. Also have guys like Danny Woodhead and Robert Meachem, when he is in the slot pressed by a safety or corner, he can get a quick release and get open down field.

4. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,398
    I fail to see why you wouldn't want any deep threat. It may not be our bread and butter anymore, but stretching defenses is always a good idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I'm not saying I don't want a deep threat, but you really think teams prepare for Malcolm Floyd week in and week out as an over the top receiver? I don't think so.

I was just saying, with out current OL situation, that McCoy and Whizenhunt's offense might be a better fit here with the OL the way it is. We can utilize the slant game and short yardage passes more, and can break it to get some YAC.

With Norv's offense, he was still trying the vertical game with Mike Harris and Jeromey Clary at the OT positions, and as we saw, Philip Rivers basically had no time.

6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,398
    I still see value in Floyd, because unlike traditional deep threat WRs, he doesn't have to run by the defender to get open. Floyd can go up higher than a defender can get to, and catch the ball at it's highest point. That is a talent worth having on the roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Not to me, he still has roughly $10M to be made for the next 3 years, which is crazy for a guy who will be 32 come the start of the season. Thank AJ for that one.

Sure, that's great and all, but as you get older, your body tends to become more brittle, and Floyd has always been brittle throughout his career.

I'd rather find a young 6'5 guy in the later rounds of the draft who can also run a sub 4.6 and will make significantly less than that.

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,398
    Don't take away all of Rivers' security blankets at once, you cruel cruel man. ;)

9. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Wasn't aware he had any after last year's disaster! :roflmao:

But, seriously, we all know what he did in 2010 with basically average-below average WR's, it was a career year for him.

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,398
    Still had Dielman back then, and McNeill. A younger Hardwick...... need I go on? ;)

11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    These days teams go into the week only preparing for Mike Scifres
    (In a Southern voice) "ya see, they got this guy, and when he kicks it, he makes the ball go wibbly, bobbly, boo!"

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    Excuses or not, there is no doubt that Rivers has been trending down the past couple seasons.

I use to stick up for him but after the KC fumble game, I could no longer do so. Prior to that game I had him labeled as a "winner" but that game removed that label from him.

I hope Rivers can improve and return to his "old" self an the Chargers have a good season...but I also wouldn't be opposed to seeing him being traded now while his value is still high which I don't think is such a bad idea either and less of a gamble. imo.

But as the article points out... after this season the Chargers aren't hit as hard against the cap for the remainder of Rivers' contract...so if they are going to "ride him out" to the end of his contract, this is certainly the season he makes his case to do so...

13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,605
  14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    What he is really saying is McCoy isn't telling him @#$%:speechless:

Commit long term to a guy who has 3 seasons left on his contract? Gotcha!:)

Floatin' like a butterfly and stung like a bee. well only to the nervous nacies and the "I can't believe we didn't resign Brees, Sproles and Jackson" bunch:confused:

So we're going to dump Weddle next? and thank goodness they didn't touch Clary's, a lot harder to cut him, if you know what Im saying;)

Which we're not, so why are we talking about this again:tdown:

Finally something we agree on:tup:

So if we back load his contract now, will we still have more money later? so we can extend guys like Liuget and Butler?:cautious:

Someone please tell him something so he can get back to writing or at least pretending to, So we don't have to read this @#$% again:sleep:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +247
    I'm upset we didn't ship Acee off to Washington to rejoin AJ (...at the hip!) It will probably take until at least early June for the Chargers to assemble an offensive line and since Rivers is pocket passer it all starts there. I'm not ready to throw him under the bus, Telesco will probably withhold judgement on Rivers until after he has a chance to see him perform with actual talent around him. The Chargers have a lot of holes to fill, starting quarterback isn't one of them right now. Acee on the other hand, needs to pull his head out of a certain hole.
    Is it draft day yet?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,398
  17. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
  18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,032
    You act like these guys grow on trees. Tall receivers who run sub-4.6 don't fall to the late rounds unless they have a significant other concern - typically either injury history or criminal history or complete lack of hands (which makes it kind of hard for him to replace Floyd's production, no matter how little he's making in comparison). Of the players who were at the combine there are a whopping two prospects (one, Tyrone Goard, who is sub-6'5"; and the second, Rodney Smith, who doesn't play near to his size, has highly questionable hands, and rarely fights for the ball). Past that there's Eastern Washington's Brandon Kaufman who has an injury-riddled past. Kentucky's La'Rod King who is slower than a snail.