1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers' magic missing

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Kevin Acee
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 at 11:22 a.m.

ST. LOUIS — An immeasurable instant after Philip Rivers let go of the pass that Malcom Floyd would catch along the sideline to get the Chargers in range for their game-winning field goal against Cincinnati last December, the Chargers quarterback absorbed a blow to the back from the Bengals' Morgan Trent.
    Later, watching the play on film, offensive line coach Hal Hunter would shake his head and watch those seconds over and over, attempting to pause immediately after the ball left Rivers’ hand and Trent smacked into Rivers’ Trapezius.
    “Right there,” Hunter would say, “is the fine line between winning and losing.”
    Hunter would shake his head, the admiration thick in his voice: “He knows he has to hold the ball until the receiver gets where he has to go. (Rivers) knows he’s going to get the dog knocked out of him.”
    There were many such images, late in games in 2009, of Rivers the hero.
    The two fourth-quarter touchdown drives, the last one completed with 18 seconds remaining in a 24-20 victory at Oakland in the opener. The touchdown pass to Vincent Jackson and streak along the sideline after a game-winning touchdown with 21 seconds left at New York. A 10-point fourth-quarter, including the drive to a field goal with 1:56 left in a three-point win in Dallas just a week before that 46-yard drive to the 52-yard field goal with three seconds left beat the Bengals.
    Rivers and the Chargers were in position to win five times at the end of games and won four of them, including their last three.
    In the winning drives against Oakland, New York and Cincinnati, Rivers was 15-for-20 for 200 yards. At Dallas, he was 7-for-8 for 114 yards on the two fourth-quarter scoring drives.
    At the end of last season, Rivers’ 13 career victories secured in the fourth quarter were tied with Brett Favre for most in NFL history through a quarterbacks’ first 70 starts (regular and postseason).
    So what’s happened?
    Maybe it’s timing. It’s not that Rivers has won every time he’s had a chance to in the fourth quarter. In 2008, the Chargers failed to win in the end against Carolina, Denver , New Orleans and Pittsburgh while securing late wins against Oakland and Kansas City twice.
    Whatever it is, for now, the magic is absent.
    Should the Chargers once again find themselves needing late heroics Sunday against the Rams, it can not at this point be assumed Rivers will direct the dramatic victory.
    Rivers leads the NFL in passing yards (1,759), is tied with Peyton Manning for the lead in touchdown passes (11) and is third in passer rating (105.4).
    But he’s 0-for-3 in fourth-quarter comebacks. And the opportunities have been there. Right there.
    The indelible images thus far are of discouragement.
    For all the legitimate gnashing of teeth over inexcusable special teams errors, the offense has been in position to avoid all three Chargers losses.
    Loss No. 1: Down 21-14. First-and-goal at the Kansas City 6-yard line with 1:14 to play. A backward run and three incompletions.
    Loss No. 2: Down 27-20. The Chargers drive from their 45 to the Seattle 12. Rivers gets caught up in the officials’ conversation and takes a delay of game penalty to give the Chargers a third-and-15. Incompletion. Interception.
    Loss No 3: Down 28-27. The Chargers drive 49 yards to the Oakland 23-yard line, but Antonio Gates is called for holding on a four-yard gain. The Chargers are pushed back to the 33. Incompletion. Then Rivers is hit just before he throws, fumbles and the recovery is returned for a touchdown.
    “I had a chance in all three of these games, regardless of everything that had happened, to help this team overcome all of that and win the game,” said Rivers, who has a 48.0 passer rating in the fourth quarter this season. “And I didn’t do it.”
    Rivers blames himself for missing Floyd on a pass in Kansas City, for the delay in Seattle, a day which might have been one the finest of his career, and for stepping into the sack-fumble at Oakland.
    So is the magic missing? Or are the Chargers putting too much pressure on their maestro quarterback?
    It’s probably the latter.
    “If I don’t get that holding penalty, I don’t think we put ourselves in that situation to throw,” Gates said. “… Now the game is managed a little different, and I think those mistakes have easily cost us.
    “He could have been 3-0 in those comebacks as opposed to 0-3. I think other people’s mistakes -- and it starts with me, and it starts with obviously false starts, penalties, fumbles – it’s not him.”
    Even more than being hard on himself, Rivers is impenetrably optimistic. And so it should be no surprise he thinks of the three losses that could have been avoided as mere blips. He talks of how the Chargers could have won those games previously, and the positive of putting themselves in position to win.
    “From a play standpoint, from a schematic standpoint, all that gave us a chance,” Rivers said. “I felt like we were going to do it … Not doing it these three opportunities is not going to make us any less confident we’ll do it next time we need to.”

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I agree.

In years past Rivers' magic was so great that it helped the special teams unit play like an NFL quality unit but now that's missing.

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Its not all Rivers fault you know? If Buster was a decent WR he would have caught that long bomb but his buster. How does a QB thats having one of his best seasons so far just lose that "Magic". Rivers can do so much sometimes you need help. This is called a team sport you know.

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    This article is dumb. If the Defense had held Jason Campbell from driving 97 yards for the score. We wouldn't need Rivers to do something out of nothing. Its seems this team relies on Rivers a bit too much. Sorta like Peyton Manning for the past decade. The Rushing Attack as got to be more productive to take the heat off Rivers.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Once again you've fallen for one of my classic pranks.

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Do you believe in Magic?

7. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    LOL

8. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Well I was gonna say what Johny did bout the 1 4th quarter comeback this year he had lost not b/c of his play. Which does go against the article and its spin that PR is having problems in those situations. I was also gonna say PR has had 2 that I distinctly remember INTs from tipped balls in situations where it was pure right place right time for the defender to make the catch.

I think too this article wants to sublty plant the seed that VJs absence is where this missing magic has gone. FALSE!

9. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    :D LOL

10. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Missed sarcasm.

11. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979