1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Rivers on pace in 2009 for....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Chargers-Superhero, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Philip Rivers is currently on pace for:

4,765 yards 25 TD's, and 8 INT's.

Looks like another great year for him stat wise, who deserves more respect than he gets.

He does get a little more respect each year though. Winning the SB will get him over the hump in the media announcers eyes (CBS, ESPN, FOX, NBC, you know those media pukes.):tdown:

2. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I think that yardage number is about right. But I think he'll have a few more TDs and a few more picks. Maybe 30 and 10.

3. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    As a media guide devourer (is that a word?) as a lad, I love having a QB in the Fouts mould with 300yd games and 4000 yd seasons.
    However, if the running game starts to take off as we all hope and mabe get a few leads in the second half, then his yardage numbers will surely reduce.

On the plus side, this should also help him become even more efficient. Phil's the man. :tup:

4. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I'd prefer 3700-4000 yards passing....30+ TDs...12 or less INTs....and 100+ passer rating. Basically, duplicate last year which was awesome....especially down the stretch when he was surgical.

Passing yardage stats for QB's are perhaps the most overrated single statistic in sports. Efficiency and scoring is where it's at.

5. StratoBoltz

StratoBoltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Yeah i can see him reaching 4000 yards with about 28 TD,s,he will get the respect he deserves one day.:bolt::bolt:

6. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    After the Raiders game on Nov 1, Rivers is on pace for:

4,653 yards, 25 TD's, 9 INT's, and a passer rating of 95.9

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Hardly.

At least the QB is directly responsible for the passing yards he gains. It's just the importance of them that may be overrated if the QB can't get the ball into the endzone enough.

The most overrated single statistic in sports is W/L record for a baseball pitcher.

Most Cy Young winners get their award because their team won more than the other pitcher's team while he was pitching.

8. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +502
    So...when a QB throws a 4yd slant pass and the receiver runs 37yards with it before he gets tackled...the QB is directly responsible for the 41yd gain? Yeah, I didn't think so either...but he does get all the yardage tacked onto his stats.

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    He still completed the pass.

I'm not saying passing yards aren't overrated, I'm just saying they're not as overrated as a pitcher getting sole credit because his team's offense scores more than the other team's offense.

If a pitcher holds a team to 1 run over 9 innings but his offense doesn't score a run he's credited with the loss.

Conversely, if a pitcher gives up 14 runs but his team scores 15 he is credited with a win.

Despite these facts, the W/L record is generally the deciding factor in the Cy Young award.

How is this not more overrated than passing yards?

Again, I'm not saying passing yards aren't overrated, but the claim was "most overrated stat in sports" and that's hardly the case.

10. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    Typically, when a 4 yard slant becomes a 41 yard gain, the QB has read the play well, has made the thrown on time and has led the receiver with enough accuracy so that the receiver does not have to break stride and can run wild after the catch. So yeah, the QB usually is directly responsible for a 4 yard slant becoming a 41 yard gain, but there are always exceptions. In a team sport, there are no stats that reflect solely on an individual players' ability. Every player is influenced by those around him.

11. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

Of course you are overlooking that many times this is not the case. In almost every game of the year, there are some horribly thrown balls by QB's that get hauled in by great plays on the receiving end....in double and triple coverage where the QB has no business throwing the ball. Jay Cutler was bailed out umpteen times by Brandon Marshall in his Broncos tenure when he would just loft the ball up for grabs and his big receiver would make the play. You also have the tipped balls that should have been INTs that end up in a receivers hands for long TD's....There have been several 60-70 yard pass plays like this already this year....off the top of my head, Orton in week 1 against the Bengals for the fluke game winner....and the Giants Hakeem Nicks reception against the Cards on MNF a few weeks ago.

Also, you have all of those games where one team is getting blown out (again the Broncos from last year are a good example)...where the losing team's QB is just racking up yardage throwing dump offs against prevent defenses....but can't get into the endzone at the end. Too many passing yardage stats are just pure BS.

No other statistic I can think of is looked at in such favorable terms for a single position (QB) where so many of the plays involved are simply flukes or plays that the defense is more than willing to give up as long as they can keep teams to FG's instead of TDs.

I personally MUCH prefer completion percentage, scoring, and low INTs......I think the QB rating is flawed also, but I'll take that any day over passing yards also......That should tell you what I think of Rivers given that he had the highest QB rating by a wide margin in the NFL last year. If you preferred Jay Cutler's passing yardage stats, you can have 'em.

12. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    After the Giants game Rivers is on pace for:

4,490 yards, 28 TD's, 12 Int's, 94.6 QB rating.

13. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Twenty eight touchdowns will never do...Rivers is my starter in my espn league, I want more than that! hehe

14. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Ah who gives a hairy rats *** about stats?!? If stats meant anything, we lose the game yesterday.

15. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Sid Gilman once said "stats are just a bunch of numbers looking for an argument" :bolt:

16. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Smart man that Gilman is. :yes:

17. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Yup.

Passing yardage on a defense is a stat which is misunderstood. Our defense could be ranked LAST in passing defense but so long as they are Top 5 or better in stopping the aholes from scoring.......

18. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    You guys are taking this too seriously, this is meant for fun really, just as the LT, Jackson, and Gates on pace for 2009 threads I started also. The stats will just reflect where they end up ranked among their peers in most people's eyes. Just the same way you would rank Austin of the Cowboys, or Steve Smith of the Giants, or Jason Witten of the Cowboys with their stats for example.

19. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    No problem my man just having some fun myself!:popcorn:

20. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    Domination *****es.

21. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    My only point is that passing yardage is tainted like every other stat. Every QB stat relies so much on the players around the QB that they are really not the measure of anything. I agree too about the QB rating. The formula is whack.

As for Cutler, he is nadless and heartless. Everyone talked about how beautifully he threw the ball yesterday when his team was down by several scores. It's easy to look good when the pressure's off. But when the game is close in the 4th quarter, Cutler chokes. I don't give a damn how tight of a spiral he throws. He's a loser.

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    This entire post can be summed up in five words: Football is a team sport.

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    This became even more true the day internet message forums were invented. :icon_rofl:

24. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +297
    I HATE MY STATS CLASS ARGH!!!!

25. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    After the Eagles game Rivers is on pace for:

4,402 yards, 28 TD's, 11 int's, and a passer rating of 97.9. :tup:

26. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    After the Chiefs game on 11-29 Rivers is on pace for...

4,273 yards 28 TD's 9 int's and a 101.6 passer rating. :tup:

27. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    After the Browns game, Rivers is on pace for...

4,415 yards 28 TD's 8 int's and a 104.9 passer rating.

28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Yeah I have a feeling we'll be down more often over the next few weeks, Rivers numbers could spike.

29. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    Haha OHHHH yeah.

30. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    If Manning, Favre, and Brees keep throwing INT's, and Philip has some real good games stats wise, AND WE WIN, then MVP talk could move in his direction.

But I think the Saints would have to lose with Brees throwing some INT's, and Favre has already started his December crumble with a poor performance and some INT's against the Cardinals the other night.

just sayin'........:icon_shrug: