1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers on Steve Smith Trade Idea" "I'm all for it"

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 25, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Philip Rivers likes those rumors about Carolina’s Steve Smith
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on May 25, 2011, 5:26 PM EDT

Panthers wideout Steve Smith is from the Los Angeles area, and would reportedly love to play close to home again. The Chargers are reportedly at least somewhat interested.

Consider Philip Rivers one of those interested Chargers.

“Bring it on,” Rivers said with a laugh when asked about Smith on Jim Rome is Burning Wednesday. “We have a great deal of weapons, and I certainly appreciate each and every one of them, but any chance you can add a guy of that caliber, I’m all for it.”

Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith is a guy that relies on the draft, but he’s not afraid to trade when necessary. (Think Chris Chambers.)

San Diego’s interest in Smith could depend on how the CBA works out. If we go back to 2010 rules and the team can easily keep Malcom Floyd with a restricted tender, then there won’t be a huge need for Smith.

2. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    U Know IT!!! My type WR TBH.

Blue bolt= mvp fan

3. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    How old is smith?....regardless of talent it feel like another McCardell situation. Another talented but old receiver coming to SD to finish out his last couple of seasons....maybe put up a few exciting plays but what would he really bring to the table as far as making a run at the playoffs.

4. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Smith > McCardell

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    You don't think that McCardell made a real contribution to the team when he came here? In 2005, he had 9 TDs and over 900 yards receiving. The other two years weren't that great, but he was in his 14th season when we signed him. McCardell even in his prime was never the kind of WR that Steve Smith was.

Obviously, Smith has had two down years, but he's going into his 10th season, and has had bad QBs the last two years. With Rivers throwing him the ball, I'd bet he'd look a whole lot better. Heck, many Cowboy fans were glad to be rid of Crayton, but you saw what type of year he had before he got hurt. Rivers makes everyone around him better.

6. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    I'd take Steve Smith over VJ any day for vast reasons!

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Smith is younger, better physical talent, more versatility then McCardell which is not to ignore or denigrate what McCardell did at all. It's just development as a player and talent wise.

I'm game for the right price I just wonder where he fits in especially this year. Assuming Floyd doesn't leave we have Jackson-Floyd-Crayton-Brown-Ajirotutu already. Who goes? Or how does that work?

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    That Norv's job...... #imjustsaying ;)

9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Playoff experience... having actually PLAYED in a Super Bowl, which is more than any current member of the team can claim; and believe it or not can do a lot to perpetuate a hunger in our players that I've been really questioning whether or not exists save for a few. I'm not a fan of Steve Smith the person, but on a reasonable (emphasis on the reasonable!) contract, I have no issue at all with Steve Smith the player. Also, McCardell didn't have Vincent Jackson playing opposite him or Gates in the prime of his career drawing coverage from him either.

I equate the scenario the Chargers are in right now to a similar situation that the EPL team I support (Arsenal) is in. The building through the draft/academy strategy is nice and can be very effective, but you're not going to hit on every single prospect. And you're not going to win championships without some semblance of veteran leadership and senior playoff/championship experience. In a way you want those title-hungry vets on your squad, provided they are team players and likable, because their younger teammates will go to war for them... because it's not just about wanting to win a title for themselves, they want to win it for that veteran teammate.

10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Chances are that one of Floyd or Jackson would be traded in that scenario - and provided that we escaped the preseason without any holdouts or nick-ups in terms of injuries to the receiving corps.

11. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I still like bringing him in under certain scenarios. Payscale and who does and doesnt get picked up or not from other teams in FA.

12. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Payscale?

We havent had a pay cap now for awhile now. The owners are free to pay what ever they want.

13. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    payscale of how much we would pay Smith for his temporary services. He would have to take a pay cut vs what other teams will offer him to come here is what payscale meant. Sorry for the misread.