1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers owns small edge over Eli

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

John Clayton's answer to Philip or Eli

Question: John, who … would you rather [play] at quarterback on your team, Eli Manning or Philip Rivers?

From Branko in Calabasas
    Answer:

This might be the best debate of the late 2000s. Obviously, this debate is going to affect the salary scale for quarterbacks because both stars are in the final years of their contracts and are due top-dollar deals. I'd slightly favor Rivers because of his leadership and his flair for playing well in late-season games. The edge is small, though. Manning got hot at the end of the 2007 season, and he won a Super Bowl. Both quarterbacks have faced adversity, and I think Rivers has a slightly better track record in dealing with it. Rivers advanced to an AFC title game with a torn ACL that needed postseason reconstructive surgery. He's won playoff games even though his two favorite weapons -- LaDainian Tomlinson and Antonio Gates -- were far less than 100 percent for two playoff seasons. Manning wasn't the same quarterback at the end of last season without Plaxico Burress. Great question.

Question: John, who … would you rather [play] at quarterback on your team, Eli Manning or Philip Rivers?
    From Branko in Calabasas
    Answer: This might be the best debate of the late 2000s. Obviously, this debate is going to affect the salary scale for quarterbacks because both stars are in the final years of their contracts and are due top-dollar deals. I'd slightly favor Rivers because of his leadership and his flair for playing well in late-season games. The edge is small, though. Manning got hot at the end of the 2007 season, and he won a Super Bowl. Both quarterbacks have faced adversity, and I think Rivers has a slightly better track record in dealing with it. Rivers advanced to an AFC title game with a torn ACL that needed postseason reconstructive surgery. He's won playoff games even though his two favorite weapons -- LaDainian Tomlinson and Antonio Gates -- were far less than 100 percent for two playoff seasons. Manning wasn't the same quarterback at the end of last season without Plaxico Burress. Great question.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    It's not even close. :no:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Translation: Manning didn't screw up any games while his defense was winning playoff games and the Super Bowl. The Giants holder also "won" a Super Bowl.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Rivers has more of an edge than he's given, if the Giants didn't have half the defense they had during their Super Bowl run, they wouldn't have won. If Eli was forced to have an offensive shootout with Baby Brady, he would have lost MISERABLY.

• Like Like x 1
  5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Manning didn't win the SB, NY's defense and one lucky *** catch did

not even close.

Who's the man?

RIVERS is the MAN!!

:flag:

• Like Like x 3
  6. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Yep. But you still have lazy, jock riding media types saying **** like "Eli won a Super Bowl." You can't convince me for even a second that he didn't get handed that MVP because the media so badly wanted to ride the Manning brothers angle.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Manning has edge in one category: rings.

I don't care how he got it, he got it.

I still prefer Philip tho.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    So what?

LOTS of guys have rings who weren't a big part of those wins. I could see it if Manning was stellar in a high scoring shootout with Brady, but that isn't what happened.

Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer have rings, Dan Fouts and Dan Marino don't.

The "Rings" argument is for the lazy analyst/fan.

9. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Lazy? More like bored. Who really gives a **** who's better? Every Giants fan will say Eli, every Chargers fan will say Rivers, what a huge shock. All the stat nerd will point to Rivers, and rightfully so.

IMO, the ring is all that matters. 1 team wins, the rest lose. There can be only one. Period.

Personally, I don't give a **** how many records or massive stats guys like Marino or Fouts took down. Am I saying they sucked? Hell no. They were both great QB. What are they MOST remembered for? NOT GETTING A RING. Ask Manning if he'd rather have the TD record or Brady's 3 rings and see what he says.

**** on guys like Dilfer and Johnson, belittle their accomplishments all you want, but they have rings because they were on successful TEAMS, which is what it's all about, and when their time came, they got the job done. That's why I think these arguments are pointless, but I'm bored and we have nothing else to argue about except the same tired conversations ad naseum.

August cannot come fast enough.

10. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    dilfers a ****ing dick

11. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Spot on RTL

:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    I guess we'll just disagree then.

By your estimation Luis Soto is a great baseball player. He was on four World Series winners, but as far as I can tell other than him being a role player, none of them won because of him.

And I completely agree about football being a team sport, but it does irk me when people say things like "he won a Super Bowl." He happened to be on a team that won a Super Bowl, and was in no way the biggest reason they won. Yet people will continue to say "he won a Super Bowl" as a reason he is better than someone else. There is a lot that goes into making a determination of which player is better, being lucky enough to catch a ride on a great team isn't really one of them. But ultimately, you are right, it doesn't really matter.

13. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I completely undersatnd what your saying, and when put that way yeah, I agree, but the two guys you pointed out in your first post both STARTED those Super bowls that they helped win. They we're not the 53rd guys who wasn't activated for the game. Big difference.

14. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    The ring is in the past. The ring is a nice story to tell. I'm sure his grand kids will love playing dress up with it. I don't care about his grand kids. I care about my QB leading my team and putting the ball on the money. Rivers is a better leader than E. Manning. Rivers can put the ball on the money better than E. Manning. Rivers is a better QB than E. Manning. There is no debate.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Fouts and Marino don't have rings because they would choke in the playoffs. Fouts 4 times and Marino 10 times.

Those other guys got only one shot and cash it in. Better lucky than good as they say.

• Like Like x 1
  16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    When their playing days are over it will then be decided. Eli, like Big Ben have done well in the situation they found themselves.

River's ring will be because of his play not in spite of it and I'm sure he'd rather not have it any other way. Ben's first one was a gift, Eli's hung on a miracle catch but they both own the hardware still the same.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    A Super Bowl Championship is forever and the ultimate accomplishment in this sport. Don't let your Eli hate cloud your judgment, hate all you want, he's still got it. Just like when Raidersfan throws it in our face. Was it over 20 years ago? Yes. Does it still count? Yes. Until we get one, every team that has one has every right to hold it over our heads.

Rivers > Manning

18. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    How has it clouded my judgement? Rivers > Manning

• Like Like x 1
  19. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    I hear everything you are saying and agree. BUT, it is not the be all and end all answer for every discussion, which is the way Raider fan usually plays that card. If you are talking about greatest franchises ever, then YES rings are a big part of that discussion. Has another franchise had a richer history than ours, then YES again, the rings are something you weigh. But if you are talking to someone about how bad the Raiders suck right now, then the SRFR (Standard Raider Fan Response) has NOTHING to do with that discussion at all, and when that card gets played it's not valid.

That's all I was trying to say in the first place, that a dude having a ring doesn't necessarily mean said dude is better than another dude who doesn't have one. It might be part of the discussion, but it isn't the discussion stopper in and of itself.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I hope to go to the Chargers @ NYG game this year.

I'll be sure to give a first hand account of how much better PR is. :abq2: :bolt: :icon_toast:

21. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    your right.

We have nothing, and Eli, Eli the one who slapped us on draft day has 1 ring, Philip Rivers has none. Big Ben has 2 Philip has none.

If we do not get one this year, do we blow the roster apart and start over?

• Like Like x 1
  22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Only the Norv part (ducks out of the way before the **** storm begins). :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    **** Sheli. He's the equivalent of Trent Dilfer, with a couple of dropped interceptions by the Patriots, and a lucky as hell throw and catch that resulted in a Superbowl win. The guy is a hillbilly, and his whole entire inbred clan needs to crawl back into the rock that they came out of!

• Like Like x 2
  24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Damn .... too bad I just repped you on another thread. :lol:

25. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Amen!

And it isn't only because I can't stand the little prick, he just flat did not win that Super Bowl for them, their defense did. If the D doesn't hold the most prolific offense in NFL History to 14 points, NONE of ECry's pulled out of his *** miracles matter.

So whenever I hear that ECry is better than some other QB because he won a Super Bowl, it just kills me.

26. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

Perfect

:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  27. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Of course not, but I would expect changes (and not necessarily the h/c)

Science damn, some of youse guise get so butthurt at the mention of Eli, :lol: