1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers Plans to Roll by Training Camp

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    By SDBoltReport.com Staff

Philip Rivers is fired up and ready to go -- even if it's only March. Rivers will steal a Barack Obama speech staple when referring to his mending right knee. Although Rivers has many months of rehabilitation in front of him, he's determined not to be gimpy when training camp arrives.

"I would be totally shocked if I'm not ready for training camp," said Philip Rivers, who is spending part of his offseason with his parents in Alabama. "Obviously I will be wearing a brace on that knee all year long. Other than the brace, if you come to watch practice the first day of training camp, this is my opinion: I'd be shocked if you could say. "Aw, he looks a little off, he looks a little different.'

"So I expect to be rolling at training camp."

The Chargers' rock behind center the past two seasons had his torn ACL repaired soon after the loss in the AFC Championship Game to the Patriots. Rivers injured it the previous week in the playoff upset of the Colts, but was determined to play with a Super Bowl invitation at stake.

He underwent an arthroscopic surgery to clean out the loose cartilage and played in the game six days later.

Rivers' gutsy performance entrenched him further as a leader among Chargers. While the team fell short in advancing to its second Super Bowl, Rivers' reputation as a hard-nosed player grew.

"He was the toughest guy out there," center Nick Hardwick said. "He was playing with a torn ACL."

That, though, is in the past to Rivers. His present and future revolves on getting his knee right healthy. He has been doing various exercises to build it back up and getting in the pool to start swimming is next on the agenda.

If all goes right, Rivers could be jogging by the end of the month.

"Medically, I'm told it's fine and that he's going to be OK," general manager A.J. Smith said. "I'm very pleased with what they're telling me."

But just in case, the Chargers had extra incentive to bring back No. 2 quarterback Billy Volek. Despite being a free agent and having the chance to compete for a starting job, Volek returned to the Chargers.

Rivers also has some catching up to do. Of the four quarterbacks taken in the first round in 2004, two of them have won Super Bowls: The Giants' Eli Manning and the Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger.

But Smith is confident Rivers will some day get his.

"I hope four or five years from now our guy is not the only one (without a ring)."

Added Rivers: "You're measured ultimately when you career is over."

That's why he can't wait to get started in 2008 -- his knee willing.

NOTES, QUOTES

--QB Philip Rivers' dad, Steve, had his college career cut short by the same injury -- a torn ACL -- that is son is bouncing back from this offseason. But there's a big difference. "I've got a little tiny scar about two inches, maybe a little longer, and he's got one on the inside of the knee that's kind of a horseshoe shape," Philip Rivers said. "It's amazing what the difference is."

--GM A.J. Smith was upbeat QB Billy Volek stayed put despite his status as an unrestricted free agent. "Billy is an experienced, talented player and has been with us the last two years and is very comfortable with our system," Smith said. "We're just very excited that he'll continue to be a Charger."

--The Chargers will have 20 starters returning from a team that advanced to the AFC Championship Game.

--DE Luis Castillo has joined the Bears' Tommie Harris and the Panthers' Mike Rucker on a week-long tour to tour U.S. military bases in Kyrgyzstan and Afghanistan.

--Nebraska T Carl Nicks' stock likely rose at the Combine when he ran a 5.12-second 40-yard dash. Not bad for someone going 6-feet-4, 341 pounds. Some think the Chargers could snag Nicks with their first-round pick. Nicks also bench-pressed 225 pounds 31 times.

LINK

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Good news about PR's rehab. He's a tough kid. :tup:

I like Nicks better than Cherilous or Otah. Hope he's there for us.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    sounds like rivers is making good progress, that's the sort of attitude you want in your QB

and Nicks I find to be rawer then Cherilus and not as impressive physically, but still NIcks is a damn good tackle

4. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Phil is the man. :bolt:

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    It's official: Rivers is my favorite Charger