1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers' poor passing day deceiving

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    December 30, 2006
    Philip Rivers completed just 10 of his 30 passes Sunday at Seattle, his worst day in terms of completion percentage as a professional and maybe since he began throwing a ball at 4 years old. But anyone who thinks he was that bad wasn't watching. He did not make 20 bad throws. In fact, just a half-dozen or so of his incompletions could be pinned solely on him.
    It appeared he was hurried into six incompletions, threw the ball away at least four times, had four passes dropped and could have been helped by a better route being run three or four times.
    Said head coach Marty Schottenheimer: “Every pass play begins with pass protection. Then you have to have people that are able to create space. It's a lot easier to throw the ball to (an open) receiver.”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20061230-9999-1s30chnotes.html

I think PR had a good day he won !!!

2. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Even though his numbers look dismal, He had a good day and most of the incompletions were not his fault but even with this, He was able to complete 2TD passes to VJ and win the game

3. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    So far today it ooks like PR is doing fine. If he's in a "slump" and we're winning, I'll take it.:ABQ2:

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,880
    he had a very good day today, I wouldn't be worried

5. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Rivers is a completely different QB with Kmac and Parker out there.

6. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah. 80% completion and 117 QB rating with 2 TD.

7. JTango32

JTango32 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Someone check out how eli manning and michael vick did the last two weeks and Rivers stacks up well against the guys who could've been Charger QBs. Did anyone catch Dan Fouts after the bears-packers game? Dare I say that Rivers is like Danny???

8. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    No I missed it what did he say..

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Dispite that stupid interception... I thought he played a very good game.

10. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    He got my game ball. Really excellent game from Rivers. Key for him is planting and throwing on his left foot. Injury kind of pushed him in that direction. (he probably got the injury by planting so much on his right foot over the last few weeks.)

I agree having healthy Parker and Keenan back helped as well. Bolsters the argument we will need another speed receiver next year to take in the slants and outs. We need some blitz beating speed.

11. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    I was at the game but I really didn't notice that Rivers was limping so badly on almost every pass play. I follow the ball and I didn't see him limping except at times on the sidelines. When I watched the replay on tivo I was shocked at how bad it seemed.... and I was also amazed at how he sucked it up and had a great day throwing the ball.

I'm not worried about this kid. I'm not worried that he has never played in a playoff game before. He's been to 5 bowl games. MVP in every one. No.... I'm not worried.

This kid showed a lot of guts and leadership sunday.