1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers practices; “getting better”

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006
    Thursday, Dec 13, 2007
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

After answering a series of questions about his left knee Thursday, Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers was anxious to get one about the Detroit Lions.

“The most important thing is the Lions,” Rivers said. “They’re a group that started off as hot as any team in the league. (They were) 6-2 and then they’ve reeled off five in a row in the other direction. I’m sure they’re frustrated, but they’re still in the hunt. They’re right there in the NFC.”

Rivers is hopeful that he’ll be on the field when the Lions hit the field Sunday. He took about half the snaps with the Chargers’ first-team offense during Thursday’s practice and remains hopeful that he’ll be able to make his 27<SUP>th</SUP>-consecutive start this weekend.

“That’s the plan,” Rivers said when he was asked if he’ll play. “It’s not Sunday, so we don’t have to know right now.”

Billy Volek shared time working with the first team. Rivers will increase his workload during Friday’s practice and see how he responds. He was pleased with the way that he felt Thursday.

“I felt good,” Rivers said. “It’s getting better. It’s a process. How you feel on Thursday isn’t always how you’re going to feel on Sunday, but it’s certainly gotten a lot better. I think it’s important at this position to get some reps at practice rather than go out there cold. I took half of them today and felt pretty good. Hopefully I’ll increase it tomorrow and be ready.”

Head Coach Norv Turner, who chose to hold Rivers out of Wednesday’s practice although the quarterback wanted to work, was encouraged by the way his starter practiced.

“I thought he looked good,” Turner said. “He threw the ball well. I thought he moved well in what we asked him to do. We’ll do a little bit more with him tomorrow.”

When Rivers was in the huddle Thursday, he said he held nothing back and went full throttle.

“The half I did, I did it as I would have hurt or not hurt,” Rivers said. “Again, we’ll keep seeing how it gets better. It’s gotten better every day. It’s made huge strides since Monday. Like any injury does, you get better as it goes. Hopefully if it keeps getting better we’ll be in good shape.”

At this point, Turner said, there’s no risk of further injuring the knee, which Rivers wore a brace and ace bandage on Thursday.

“We wouldn’t have him out there if there was a chance of a setback,” Turner said. “We just did the things that he’s most comfortable doing in terms of where he’s at. He’s got to be able to do more tomorrow.”

With a team he’s never faced before coming to San Diego, Rivers places a high importance on the snaps he takes in practice this week.

“It’s an opponent that we’re not real familiar with,” Rivers said. “It’s not a team where you turn on the tape and know where everybody is right away. It takes a little extra preparation as far as getting a feel for who they are.”

In addition to their starting quarterback, five Chargers missed Thursday’s practice. Fullback Lorenzo Neal (fibula), defensive end Luis Castillo (ankle), tight end Antonio Gates (back), linebacker Shawne Merriman (knee) and defensive tackle Jamal Williams (ankle) did not work. Guard Mike Goff (foot) missed Wednesday’s practice but did limited work Thursday. Wide receiver Buster Davis was limited after injuring his Achilles early in practice.

Turner is hopeful that Gates will make it back to the practice field Friday.

“Antonio is a lot better today than he was yesterday,” Turner said. “I would hope he can do parts of practice tomorrow and get to see him run around. He’s getting a lot better. If he progresses the way he has over the last two days then I think he’ll be alright.”
  2. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Sep 7, 2006
    One thing that I hope to come out of last weeks win is Rivers gained some new found confidence again and comes out ripping the Lions secondary. :tup: I will admit the dude came out strong in the last 5 min of the game.:tup:
  3. Kwak

Kwak ....

May 25, 2006
    :yes: :tup:
    Sucks that we are going to be missing Merriman and J-Mal it looks like this weekend. Time for the other guys to step it up. Harris needs to bring it on Sunday. Detroit gives up the sacks, so our guys should have a field day.

Clary has played well since he was put in as the starter at RT.

Now my boy dings his Achilles. :no: I can't defend him if he can't keep on the field..
  4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Aug 3, 2006
    If Rivers can play, that would be just ducky. Dance with the one that brung ya'. Rivers is getting into synch with VJ and Chambers and that has to continue to improve if we are to make a legit playoff run to the Lombardi.
  5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Yeah, I don't want him to push an injury, but I would like to see him get hot going into the playoffs.

I'm not too worried about Jamal & Merriman being out for this game. Bingham & McKinney both have played pretty well, & Shawne needs to be healthy for the playoffs. Harris will be alright. :bolt: