1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers' ribs are acting up after two rough weeks in the trenches

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Philip Rivers didn't get hit as much Sunday in Miami as he did the previous week in Oakland. But the back-to-back weeks of playing teams that got to him had him receiving treatment yesterday for the second straight day on his bruised ribs.

"Just a couple bumps and bruises," Rivers said. "Nothing big."

There are a few others – guards Kris Dielman (thigh bruise) and Mike Goff (knee strain), strong safety Clinton Hart (strained shoulder) and fullback Mike Tolbert (sprained ankle) – who can say the same thing. All of them will play Sunday against New England, though they could be rested in practice this week.

But the Chargers will be without outside linebacker Jyles Tucker again this week and perhaps a week longer because of the strained hamstring that kept him out at Miami. And receiver Chris Chambers appears likely to sit against the Patriots with the ankle sprain suffered against the Dolphins.

Moreover, LaDainian Tomlinson and Antonio Gates, the cornerstones of the offense, remain hobbled by a toe and hip, respectively.

"We have some guys who aren't 100 percent," head coach Norv Turner said. "We have some guys that aren't able to do the things we're accustomed to seeing. I think they're getting closer and closer to doing it."

Gates expects to be bothered by the hip stinger for another couple of weeks, and Tomlinson said he has no choice but to play through the injury.

"If I take a week off, I have to take three weeks off," he said. "It's not a one-week injury. You can't get better in one week. There's no such thing. Nobody can. If you are injured, you're injured."

Tomlinson actually had two fewer yards on nine more carries last season than his 331 yards on 89 carries through five games this year. The past two years comprise the slowest five-game starts in his career.

"I don't think there's any question that we're banged up," Tomlinson said. "Obviously, just look at the injury report and you can see that. But at the same time, we played through stretches like this last year when we were banged up and we got the job done. So I don't want to make that an excuse.

"We're out there playing, so ultimately, it's on us. It doesn't matter if we're hurting or banged up or what. We have to play better."

Great day

The loss precluded Mike Scifres from being too pleased with himself, but the fact is he had the best game of his career Sunday against the Dolphins.
    Never before in 74 career games had he finished a game with a higher net average in a game in which he punted more than once. (And only once when punting one time did he have a higher net than the 50.5-yard average he had over six punts in Miami.)
    "Just doing my job," Scifres said. "That's the guys covering. That's us doing our job as a unit, those guys tackling and not giving up returns."
    Sure, but he also booted the ball – a 65-, 64- and two 59-yarders that seemed to hang in the air like a helium balloon.

Nuts 'n' Bolts

– Field position was not the problem Sunday. For the third straight game, the Chargers' average start was beyond the 30.
    – The Chargers have not allowed an opponent to score in the third quarter since the season opener and have outscored opponents 30-7 in that period.

By Kevin Acee

2. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    We have to pick up an OLBer somewhere. The depth at that position really scares me, and we're playing with fire at the position right now. If you think Cottrell has been conservative so far this year, wait till we get another injury at that position and we're down to two players on the depth chart. Not good at all.

The Chambers injury is another that hurts quite a bit. He could have been a huge asset in exploiting New England's secondary. Hopefully Gates will be feeling better by Sunday.

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Rub some dirt on them Rivers, u'll b al ight.:yes:

4. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    With Chambers banged up, does this mean Floyd will get into the lineup?

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    OK, some're banged up; we get it. Play thru it like many of y'all did last January!!

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    That would explain why he was off on his game Sunday. Hard to throw a ball if your ribs are bruised.

7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    no kidding, man I'm gettin tired of hearing about our injuries!

are we cursed??

damn

:icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Buck up Grumpyumpikus! The season aint near over! :abq1:

9. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    At least the inside of Rivers' knee doesn't look like an Outback Steakhouse "Bloomin' Onion," like Brady's does.

Our O-line has the potential to get Cassel killed as well. I'm betting you guys will tee off on him this week. He's getting better with every game and has begun to minimize MAJOR errors, which is all they need him to do. Cassel needs to be patient and pick his spots rather than attempt to force or create anything. He's niether forceful, or, creative, so he needs to cut that crap out.

I'm guessing both QB's will take some horrific hits, hopefully none that are questionable........

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Yup, but we need to start winning NOW!!!!
    Let Volek take a few snaps. Thats why we gave him that big contract.

And Please Please Please Please Please Please... sit LT and let Sproles and Tolbert start!!!
    You're the coach, Norv. Only YOU can make that call!!