1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers Rules

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
  2. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    God Yes...I've Been Saying For A While Now That Phil Is The EXACT Kind Of QB I Want On MY Team....I Don't Care What Anybody Says....

Philip Rivers >>>>>_________

Trash Talk Is A Part Of The Game And The Fans Spend Their Whole Time There Hollerin The Most Obscene Things You Can Imagine At These Athletes....I'm Not Saying Do It All The Time But Geez Give Him A Break.....He Wins Games And makes His Critics Look Stupid....People Say "His Team Carries Him" "He's Be Nothing Without LT" And "Philip Is Overrated" But The Fact Is EVERY Good Quarterback Has To have A Running Game As Well To Rely On....It's A TEAM SPORT....And EVERY QB Has A Bad Game.....It's LIFE.....

I Believe With Every Molecule Of Me Rivers Will Bring Us The Chargers It's First Lombardi.....Hands Down My Favorite QB In The League......[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Why Do People Type Like This?

Rivers is the man. He has established himself as THE leader of our team. He will not let us down. Prepare for GLORY!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    Why So Serious?????:rolleyes2:

5. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195

Attached Files:

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Philip works well in this system, I'm sure he'd be able to play well in any for that matter. If our receivers pan out to be stud's there is no telling what this team will do.

7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    We haven't had a true leader at the QB position since Humphries. PR acts like a leader and backs it up on and off the field. I hope his recovery goes well.

One thing I would like to see is some improvement in his avoiding the rush skills. I don't care that he can't get out of is own way but if he could somehow pick up some tips from the gey Pasties QB in avoiding pressure I think we would see a whole new level of play from PR.

:icon_toast::icon_toast:

8. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I BELIEVE IN THE CHOSEN ONE !!! :icon_toast::icon_party::icon_banana::abq2::bolt:

9. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Another good article.

NFL success has not kept Philip Rivers from remembering his roots

As the time ran off the clock, cameras turned to the sidelines and caught the winning team’s quarterback talking with the fans.

The national sports media went nuts, saying the quarterback in question was being cocky and there was no reason NFL players should be heckling the fans.

There was a minor uproar, but the fact remained that the fans were heading home until September — as were the defending Super Bowl champions — and the quarterback and his team were heading to New England for the AFC Championship Game.

“I like to have fun and I like to win,” Philip Rivers said recalling the incident. “That my rub you the wrong way.”

Rivers — a former standout at Athens High School — said he did not intend on offending anybody, he was only celebrating the victory.

Since leaving Athens following the 1999 season, Rivers has made quite a name for himself at both the collegiate level at North Carolina State— five bowl Most Valuable Player Awards — and the professional level with the San Diego Chargers — he was selected to the Pro Bowl his first year as a starter.

While he — along with his wife Tiffany and his four children — reside in San Diego for much of the year, Rivers does return to North Alabama during parts of the off season.

“Most of the time I’m in San Diego, but I come back late in the summer before training camp,” Rivers said. “I might come back more as my career progresses. As a quarterback, I want to be around the guys in the facility.”

Though he does not spend as much time in North Alabama as he used to, his thoughts are rarely far from his roots.

He said just about everyday after practice he calls home to speak with his family. That includes his former head coach at Athens- his father Steve.

read more here ----

http://www.enewscourier.com/sports/local_story_075181254.html?keyword=topstory

10. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I think he got everybodys respect (didn't need mine) after he played against the Cheaters after undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery the same week. Now THAT is a stud.

11. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Seems to me that our receivers have showed their studliness already. I'm looking forward to what Norval is going to do to opposing defenses this year from the single back formation. Not just with LT, but with Sproles as well. If I was him, I might have Pinnock working out with the wide outs to work on his catching during some of the mini camp time.

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Our receivers came on at the end of last year and looked rather well in the playoffs. If they can get out of the blocks at the same pace as the end of last year we'll be in great shape.

We already know that this team can only get so far on LT's legs. With the WR's hitting on all 8, big holes should open up for LT, then we really will have that one, two punch combination.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Man, I just can't wait for the season to get rolling. :icon_banana:

14. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I suspect we can really spread the field for LT.

15. twilight15

twilight15 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I hate the off-season...I'm always anxious for the start of the next.
    I really believe we can go all the way with our players and coaches...We just need to get past the barriers that hold us back...
    :flag:

• Like Like x 1
  16. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    A couple of things REALLY impress me about Philip.

One thing (especially later in the year) was his ability to get the ball downfield in the true Coryell style - 15 to 20 plus yards downfield to a spot. You could tell Norv trying to mold him into that kind of QB, and boy did we see some growing pains. But as the year went on, there were some stretches where he looked absolutely Foutsian. If he hadn't gotten hurt when he did, I think we beat the Pats. There were at two passes (to Chambers, I think) that would have gone for scores is Philip's leg was just that much stronger.

The other thing is his unflappableness. People call him excitable, but... if you're that way all the time, that's just the way you are. Philip's natural energy level is off the scale, but it's rock steady and consistent. He doesn't rattle - and the minute the defense thinks he does is the minute they're in for a world of hurt.

17. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38

2007 was a transition year for the Chargers, we have gone from being LT's team and this can be un-offically/officially said, even though the front office wont say I will =

This is Philip Rivers franchise now!

LT we love you, you are one of the NFL's best RB's EVER but we all know that QB is the name of the game in the NFL and if you wanna win the big prize it's all about the triggerman!

Rivers is Golden GOD! :tup:

Stan :rivers17:

18. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Yeah. That was my problem. Good at running over people, but couldn't get past the barrier of getting caught from behind.

19. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I believe we have yet to see the best of Philip Rivers, I got my popcorn ready for years to come.

20. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I agree, it's Rivers' team now.

Last season was all about rinsing off the Marty stink.

Now, a year in the system, team firmly on his back, Rivers is gonna dominate.

21. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    I still think it's funny that many people here on Bolt Talk were crying for PR to be benched, in favor of Volek. Look where PR took us, all the way the the AFC Championship game. Damn the whole team kind of struggled during that 5-5 run to open the season.

He's a Warrior, he's the Chosen One.

In Rivers We Trust..:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Were there really that many? I saw maye four. But they were 'loud' posters.

23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    and unlike last year there's no question about how poorly he ended the year or worries about a sophomore slump, this year yeah Rivers is going to cut you up!

I had suggested benching him at around the Indy game because he seemed to keep getting worse, but after that he got better and I decided to withdraw such an opinion. But I don't think I was 'loud' about it, that might be someone else

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I think you are all off of the mark.

For the whole time that I have watched the Chargers, it has been someone's team. Recently it has been Seau's, Brees', LT's etc...

Now you are all anointing Rivers. You are incorrect but not for the reasons you are thinking.

Only one time was it not 'someone's' team, that was in 93 and 94. We had a team, a team that followed many leaders, Humphries, Means, Martin, Harmon, O'Neal, Mims, Lee, Parrella, Davis...

Today we have that again. Rivers, Chambers, Tomlinson, Gates, Jackson, Merriman, Phillips, Jammer, Cromartie... We have a team of leaders, all who step up, hold themselves accountable and lead by example.

This my friends is the CHARGERS team, not just one players team.

Rivers has shown this team and us fans quite a lot, and he has earned the respect of us all. But he is one of many leaders we have right now. We should all be pleased with the level of skill, leadership, and accountability we have on this team.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347

True. I do, however, annoint Rivers Chairman of the Board. A healthy Rivers will touch the ball on offense 100% of the time that a game is remotely in contention.

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    That is something we can agree on.

27. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Every team needs a leader. Every workplace needs a boss. Every army needs a general. That's what Rivers became in New England.

I'm not trying to say he's in any way above his teammates, PR would be the last to say as much but rather prove it on the field. By his actions he's become an example of what a pro should be, which makes him a leader.

28. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

dude I said the same thing a coupla pages back!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

29. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    [​IMG]