1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers runs his mouth, Chargers like what they hear

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Jul 23, 2008.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...ike-what-they-hear?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Didn't Norm Chow say something similar to this about Rivers when he was coming out of college? :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  3. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Just furthers my belief in the kid, and our super bowl chances.

4. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30

Yes he did! PR's the QB of this team. He reminds me of Dan Fouts, with his fire and Stan Humphries because he'll play no matter what.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Nice read Ray, thanks a lot. I said from the day we traded for PR, AJ just obtained a championship QB. He maybe not be pretty, he may not have the best arm. He just knows how to win and I'll take that over the other attributes of how we grade players.

6. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I wish Rivers would just shut up and stop being so supportive. His mouth always runs. Just talk to the people who are worth your time. No need to actually be nice to everyone.

I hate it that whenever he jaws with fans or players, we end up winning that game. It drives me up a wall.

:icon_tease:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    The thing is he says corny things. Never uses a swear word. He is like a trash talking Opie.

8. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Rivers mouth is one of the things, positive, things that makes Rivers better than average.

Average QBs aren't as fiery, don't interact with the players as much, and Don't lead. Take a look at Cutler and his "interaction". His offseason he spent it with some of the better players on offense, ignoring everyone else. Like Gates said some QBs just talk to the guys who are good.

9. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    In last year's MNF game at home versus Denver, the Cutlet didn't just get into it with Rivers and Phillips, but also almost got into a fistfight with one of his own WR.

Nice.

10. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    I think that's the root cause of it all. People are so used to vicious, vulgar speech from athletes and smack-talking fans that, when you see someone jawing away, that's what they expect.

It doesn't matter that Philip is slingin' smack that would be right at home on a Sunday School basketball court. People see his tongue wagging and assume it's "f*ck" this and "b*tch" that. What did he say to the fans in Indy? "I'll be back". Oh my, the horror. :icon_huh:

People who criticize PR for that aspect of his personality are just ignorant of his quality as a player and as a man. They want desperately to hate him, want desperately for him to disgrace himself by giving the Vick-ish middle finger, the Cutler-ish nut-grab, or the Haynesworth-ish head stomp. What do they get instead? A competitive young gentleman who never curses, thanks you for your attention in the form of churchyard smack talk, then proceeds to throw three touchdowns on your ***.

I can see why they'd be infuriated. :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    My Boy is going to win us a Lombardi :yes::abq2:

12. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Later on in the Indy playoff game, after Rivers comes back, you see Rivers really get into with a Colt fan and some of the players had to sort of pull him back.

There was a rumour from people who went to that game that some of the drunker, idiotic fans (not all Indy fans, just a few) said some really disparaging and threatening comments towards Rivers' wife and kids.

Since we don't know for sure, I'm putting the caveat of a rumor on it, but it certainly would explain Rivers' unusual heatedness.

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    He reminds me of Jim Plunkett or Joe Kapp. Not pretty when they played, but tough and effective and they knew how to lead a team.

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Joe Kapp .... now THERE'S a blast from the past. :lol:

15. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    The writer starts up the "spin cycle" once again-- now he says that L.T. left the AFC title game with a "sore knee". As if it was that cut and dried.

It was a partially torn MCL... that's far more than a "sore knee".

Twit. :icon_evil:

16. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Better a good QB with some smack talks, but connection and leadership to all his teammates, than a quiet one, who is excellent, but too shy to look into your eyes.

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    its a 'sore knee' if your job includes getting up from a chair and walking to teh water cooler, not to mention sitting on the couch to watch tv

its more problematic then a 'sore knee' if your job is to juke and cut at high speed to avoid 270lb linebackers who want to knock you out

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I do find it really hypocritical that the player is always the bad guy when they mouth off and that no reporter has ever bothered to investigate what the heckler was saying to the player to provoke that.
    Idk if you guys remember but Phil Nevin in Philadelphia back in 2005 (or 2004), when he was a Padre, he got cursed at by this drunk idiot near the on deck circle who was with his 9yr old daughter twice, really cruel stuff. Finally Nevin snaps, curses him out and he's horrifically offended especially for his daughter. That was the first time I really thought what the fans say shouldbe looked at in more depth.
    I'm not a guy who believes heavily in censorship but if your cursing out a man's wife/family/kids like that, and i mean more then "your a bum" stuff i'm talking heavy duty way over the line stuff, then you deserve whatever the player says in return.

Rivers is case in point
    1. Cutler mouths off all day, ESPN only focuses on Rivers' response
    2. Indy

19. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Is anybody else concerned that Philip Rivers hasn't been able to finish any season healthy? :icon_shrug:

I am hoping he can reverse this trend and NOT suffer a debilitating injury for the third season in a row.

20. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Oh no. Another player with an easily inflamed vagina :icon_rofl:.

To answer your question, no, I'm not worried. Rivers played 4 years of big time college ball without missing a start. He has had two unrelated injuries in his two years as a starter, but I don't think either is a chronic problem.

21. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    If he had better pass protection he wouldn't have suffered those injuries in the first place.

:yes:

22. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928

Well this past season his injuries were rather flukey
    He injured one leg when that titan got knocked down and slid into rivers, don't think that was on purpose and the play in question didn't involve him.
    Second injury was when he was jumping out of the way after tossing a screen pass. He wasn't touched on that play nor was he really that whole colts game.

So it wasn't a lack of protection as much as bad bad luck

23. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851

Still, for the OL to allow a defender to come in that close to where he could dive/fall at Rivers' knees and slam into it.....

24. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    RIVERS IS THE CHOSEN ONE, HE WILL LEAD US TO THE LOMBARDI!!

(god i sound like im speaking to a cult :icon_eek:

25. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I hope you are right. My fear is that Rivers' lack of mobility puts him in more position to suffer those "flukey" injuries. And if he gets injured for the third year in a row, I'm betting that more people than just myself will be playing the "fragile" card.

Be that as it may, I agree that the onus is on our O-line to him. I think they are up to the task. :tup:

26. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    IMO, the "***** in the chain" is gone (olivea)

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We'll see. Clary has to prove that he can build on last year. Newberry and/or Withrow have to step in & perform while Hardwick is out. McNeill needs to return the form that he showed in '06 & late '07. I have high hopes, but am cautious about the OL's play. Can't afford any major injuries.

28. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    LJ Shelton will beat Clary for RT- Shelton 6,6 345ilbs and is going to be a beast. He's got more experience and Clary did struggle at times last year

29. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I do remember Jim Plunket, he was a failure for the Pat's. Went to the Raiduds and won some games. I don't recall the play of Joe Kapp.

I honestly, can't compare Rivers to anyone. He's just so different from the others that have played the QB position. Actually, I'm not speaking throwing style because there are some comparisons of him to Kosar and Marino. I was meaning more about his mental makeup and how he approaches the game.

30. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Sheldon isnt that good. He aint beating out anybody!