1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers' struggles forced offense into safety mode

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,845
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20061002-9999-1s2chnotes.html

By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    October 2, 2006

BALTIMORE – Maybe there was justification for Marty Schottenheimer again trying to send football back to the 1920s.

It's difficult to imagine Schottenheimer doing what he did yesterday, going into a shell at times, if he had a veteran quarterback.

He denied the play-calling was conservative. He often seems to decipher that as a dirty word.
    “We plan and prepare ourselves for a means by which we can win every football game,” Schottenheimer said after the Chargers' 16-13 loss to the Ravens.

Clearly, he thought the best way to win was to run the ball. Philip Rivers threw just eight times in the second half.

And the fact is, against the best defense he has seen, Rivers was not all that sharp.

Dont shoot the messenger...

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    If Rivers does not throw the hideous pick - we win. :yes:

This has the be knawing at the boy's innards real bad.

3. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    They have to let him play. They can't say he's struggling and then not give him a chance to work his way out of it. They just took the game away from him.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,845
    I just hope the fans dont turn on him the way they did our last QB for throwing passses wide, or making the receiver slow down, or over throwing.

The NFL passing game is a timing deal, it takes 2 to make it work. Rivers will be fine.

5. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +674
    The title of the article is off bit,

It should read:

"Rivers early pick, pushed Marty into the Fetal Postition"

6. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Try reading this article.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...ct02,0,365913.column?coll=bal-sports-football

Here is a nice quote from a solid defender......

"I'm glad he [Schottenheimer] stuck with his game plan because that Rivers kid could play,"(Bart) Scott said.

Marty showed no faith in Rivers and basically handcuffed his offense at the same time.

Rivers had no rythm in the second half since he only threw 4 passes.

Marty's lack of faith is bound to rub off on his players in a negative way.

Yea for us.:no:

7. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I hope so, but lets look at Rivers numbers early in the game.

First scoring drive: 4 for 5 for 60 yards. Touchdown. In that drive, Rivers hit Gates on a 3rd and 13 pass for a first down.

Second scoring drive: 4 for 5 for 27 yards. FG.

That's 8 for 10 with one TD and a 3rd and 13 pass completion for a first down. I thought Rivers was looking good.

Then after that, Rivers was allowed to throw the ball only eight more times in the whole game ???? :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

8. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Against strong teams: "One conservative play at a time guys"
    Against weak teams: "One aggressive play at a time guys"

Any variation is unacceptable. Impose your goddamn will upon the other team you moron.

9. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +674
    Good read Critter:tup:

EVERYONE sees the problems... This is known by EVERYONE.

My favorite part:

10. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Anyone see where Matt Leinart will now be the starting QB for Arizona and Vince Young is creeping towards being the starter for the Titans?

There are two prime examples of true rookies being thrust into the starting spot. They will have much more difficulties this season than Philip.

11. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    After yesterday, I like Rivers more than ever. He was never rattled, showed good mobility, made good decisions all day.

He missed a couple of throws, which happen to any QB. And you can't get into a groove if your nutless head coach won't call any pass plays. :no:

12. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Marty just has to show more faith in the qb position and offense. Just a wild guess but marty being an ex linebacker kind of only trusts linebackers to win games thus moderating what the offense does and giving far more responsibility to the defense to win games for him.

13. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Agree 100%

Marty just will not learn that modern NFL rules are to induce scoring.

You cannot handcuff your entire offense to sit on a 6 point lead for an entire half.

14. AthensPhilipRiversFan

AthensPhilipRiversFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +331
    just LET my frickin homeboy PLAY the game and do what he does BEST and the frickin Bolts will win games!! arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i was so pissed yesterday i couldn't even post. i did a self imposed "stay off the boards." maybe i need to make that for a week...:icon_evil:

15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,727
    If you're afraid to let Philip Rivers throw it because he is inexperienced then tell me Mr. Schottenheimer, when will Philip be experienced enough to throw it if he never gets to throw it until then?

16. AthensPhilipRiversFan

Ratings:
    +331
  17. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054

Exactly...PR not throwing much during games is not helping him get it together...Marty needs to loosen the restraints...good things might happen. I think Philip has a lot of raw talent and needs the opportunity to sharpen his skills...you have to take a few chances in life...

18. AthensPhilipRiversFan

Ratings:
    +331
    i just know one thang. i've watched Philip Rivers play a LOT of football. Never in any game have I ever seen the frustration that he expressed and the anger he expressed like when that clock ran out. When he threw that ball into the ground...we were all sittin here going...uhhhhh ohhhhh....PR is pissed.

U just don't see that happen often. He may act a bit agitated but never have I seen that before. That game is going to eat his guts out. Don't expect the same mistakes again. He will push himself into the ground to correct them.

I was shocked to see him lose it that way honestly. Just wasn't typical Philip. He defintely was feeling a lot of blame and he will shoulder the responsibility. It's just what he does.

I do admit, he wasn't the only one throwing things yesterday. I have a glass vase that I have to replace. :icon_sad:

19. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Marty please take off the training wheels on Philip Rivers because you are squandering an excellent talent here and not utlizing him properly.

The potential is there just give him the vote of confidence Marty.

Philip Rivers is the Super Star allow him to be the Super Star Marty.

Stop with the Run Run Run Punt Strategy with Philip Rivers. We will lose too many games that way Marty.

Just let Philip Rivers play Marty please.

20. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054

It also must be frustrating for him if he feels his potential is being limited or the coaches don't have confidence in his ability.

21. AthensPhilipRiversFan

Ratings:
    +331

This is all defintely a first for Philip and I can't begin to imagine the thoughts going through his head. He's always been surrrounded by people/players/coaches/fans who had 100% confidence in him. I'd imagine he has to be feeling a bit outta whack by it all. I certainly would. I don't know if Marty is holding him back for a reason or if it's just MartyBall but it sucks either way. Rivers can win games if they'll just turn him frickin lose. I'm never saying he can win them alone, it takes the whole team...but when you won't get ur qb IN the damn game...where does that leave the rest of the team??? :no:

22. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    With a #1 in the loss column.

• Like Like x 1
  23. AthensPhilipRiversFan

Ratings:
    +331
    frickin zactly!!!!!!

• Like Like x 3
  24. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200

Are you talking about a hard headed german ex-linebacker that is a bit parinoid about any person playing the qb postion and that he has alot more confidence that defenses win games.

25. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Not only can they in fact they did.

The bottom line Schottenheimer isn't going to throw Rivers to the dogs and hope for the best.

Rivers was just starting his 3 rd game in his career and we were on the road playing the second best defense in the world.

We kick a FG and we would have won. Rivers still has a great deal of confidence , the team has confidence .

We lost and the fans want Marty's ***. He is a Smart coach, he protected Rivers, we would be in trouble if all of you folks were screaming for Phillips head.

26. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    The fact that they did not put the game on his shoulders to win or lose isn't so much about not having confidence in him as it is about allowing him to develop.

Remember while Phillip has been a Bolt for a couple of seasons he was just starting his 3rd game of his career. He is much further along in his development than any QB with this level of experience that I have seen but still 3 games isn't much and we were on the road vs the second best defense in football.

Each week he will make progress and he will have some better games and some worst. If the Chargers would have made one more FG in this game they would have won on the road and this would not be any issue with the fans.

In the end if Rivers is rushed before he is ready it won't help him become the great QB most of us think that he can be.

For a lot of us fans we just need a little patience.

PS How you doing??? Great I hope!! :icon_banana: